Tenerife Catholic bishop blames child abuse on the children

Roman Catholic Bishop Bernando Álvarez said that there are 13 year-old children who are wanting to be abused, and “if you are careless they will provoke you.”

There is outrage in parts of Spain following declarations made over Christmas from the Bishop of Tenerife, Bernardo Álvarez.  His comments were that there are youngsters who want to be abused, and he compared that abuse to homosexuality, describing them both as prejudicial to society. He said that on occasions the abuse happened because the there are children who consent to it.

“There are 13 year old adolescents who are under age and who are perfectly in agreement with, and what’s more wanting it, and if you are careless they will even provoke you,” he said.

Regarding homosexuals, the Bishop said that homosexuality was something prejudicial to the people and to society, and that we would pay the consequences in the long term.

The Bishop claimed that both abuse of children and homosexuality would lead to future problems in society “as has occurred in other civilizations.”
The statements were made by the Bishop to his flock on Christmas Eve, in an interview given to the La Opinión de Tenerife local newspaper.

A later statement from the Bishop’s residence on Tenerife explained that the Bishop did not intend to imply that “an event as condemnable as the abuse of youngsters” could be justified.

The Triángulo Canarias Foundation for the Social Equality of Gays and Lesbians commented that the Bishop’s statements on homosexuality were unacceptable, as were comments he made considering being gay an illness.

Thanks to Spain News…

Copyright 2010 MadMikesAmerica
Posted by on April 7, 2010. Filed under Commentary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

43 Responses to Tenerife Catholic bishop blames child abuse on the children

1. mycue

April 7, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Wow! Really? Some in the Catholic church will clearly say anything to try and protect their asses. As someone who went to Catholic school through high school, I am very glad that I never bought into any of their bullshit. Are there good people in the church? Absolutely. But the institution is run by a bunch of people who care much more about money and power than they do about serving God or being faithful to the teaching of Jesus. It just makes me sick sometimes.

• MadMike

April 7, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I was also raised Catholic MyCue and was never molested. With the exception of a few nasty nuns my experience, for the most part was pleasant. Then I became educated…

• Marlene McMurtry

April 23, 2010 at 7:52 am

MadMike you are mentally stupid.

• MadMike

April 23, 2010 at 10:01 am

Probably 🙂

• Ken Knisely

November 9, 2010 at 7:09 am

A FEW nasty nuns??? You got off easy. EVERY nun I ever ran across was nasty!!!

• bg

March 3, 2011 at 7:10 pm

i say why is it that the churches say homosexuality is such a sin when if you watch the news on tv or read a magazine you see that a huge percentage of molstations of male children are done by ministers or priest so what does that make them a pedahile but not a homosexual come on now give us all a break. already.

• Louis Krodel

March 24, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Yes, he is right -we humans become sexually curious around age 11 and become sexually active (if circumstances allow) by age 13. We certainly want sexual experiences by the age of 14. However, “childhood” ends at the start of puberty. We are then adolescence, a distinction defined by Dr. Stanley Hall, psychologist. Sexual desire is NOT a “serious problem of a sexual nature” but a normal part of sexual maturation.

However, our appropriate sexual partners should be other teenagers… not priests espousing celibacy and sex as dirty.

2. Infidel753

April 7, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Sounds like what rapists (or should I say other rapists) say — “She wanted it.” “She was asking for it.” “She brought it on herself.”

Are these guys from another planet or something?

I give up. It defies comment.

• MadMike

April 7, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Infidel…I spent most of my adult life in law enforcement and the military. I was an interrogation specialist among other things. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard rape suspects say “she asked for it.” I wanted to kick them in the teeth. Never did. Retired peacefully…got a bunch of degrees and now I teach. You know what they say: those who can’t do teach.

3. Jess

April 7, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I friggin give up with these people. How in the name of all that is (insert whatever here) do they think turning this to be the kids fault is going to go anywhere? As someone who has survived abuse and a pacifist, there are times I tell ya… this is one of them. Just this morning, some of these ass boils were trying to say this is a hate campaign against the men in gowns and funny hats, because of the anti choice and anti gay stances the church is taking. I just hope the British are successful with their campaign on busting his narrow ass when he tries to go there under immunity. ARRRRRGGGG since we don’t like profanity much here, is my profanity in a few little capital letters.

4. Gwendolyn H. Barry

April 7, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Thank you Mike for posting this… to comment any further would to ignite the switching stations at the cable boxes… muther fuckers are just going on and on and on with it…aren’t they?

• MadMike

April 8, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Yes Gwen. The mother fuckers are just going on and on with it.

5. Holte Ender

April 7, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Just when think it’s going to die down, another cockroach crawls out and know you there’s more.

• MadMike

April 8, 2010 at 12:40 pm

It seems like there are always more my friend.

6. fourdinners

April 7, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Speaking of bad news religion….Even the muzzies can’t compete with this!!! All they do is blow themselves up….Is that abuse?

• MadMike

April 8, 2010 at 12:41 pm

It’s abuse for those who have to clean up after them.

7. Bee

April 7, 2010 at 8:35 pm

I’m going to repeat myself here. The church attracts predators.

• MadMike

April 8, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Agreed and always have Bee.

8. Jerry Critter

April 7, 2010 at 9:50 pm

This guy obviously has some problems with 13 year old boys. Poor little Bishop. 13 year old boys are too tempting. Shame on them.

Asshole!

• MadMike

April 8, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Assholus ultimatus Jerry. They like Latin 🙂

9. JulieAnne

April 13, 2010 at 11:49 am

Comments like this have only come from one group of people–and that is serial sexual pedophiles and violent
    sex offenders. I am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse, and in an attempt to understand my perpetrators I questioned my therapist about their behavior. My therapist runs support groups for convicted pedophiles. A reoccurring theme with child molesters is that they take NO RESPONSIBILITY for their acts. It is always, always the child’s fault or the victim’s fault. They believe the child wanted the sex, or that the child is “sexual” and came onto them (no I’m not kidding). These people bizarrely believe that children are sexual and want sex. My therapist told me that one pedophile claimed that because a four year old girl climbed up on a perp’s lap–that she wanted to be molested. Also, molesters “groom” children. They introduce them to sexual behavior and make it a game or tell them the behavior is normal. They use their power or positions of authority to make children compliant. Children don’t have an adult’s understanding of sex…so they don’t understand what is happening. They lack the maturity to find words for what is happening so it’s impossible for them to say “no” as an older person would. The pedophile takes this as a green light to molest. All of these behaviors and twisted beliefs are part of the pedophile’s perverse thinking patterns. A hallmark of pedophile thinking is that children are ALWAYS RESPONSIBLE.

10. JulieAnne

April 13, 2010 at 12:01 pm

All of these behaviors and twisted beliefs are part of the pedophile’s perverse thinking patterns. A hallmark of pedophile thinking is that children are ALWAYS RESPONSIBLE. The pedophile always will blame the child–even being angry and disgusted at the child for being so seductive. Sexual-abuse victims are often the “scapegoats” in the family–because the molester blames the child for causing their own abuse.

Of course, the pedophile couldn’t get away with any of this with adult victims. That’s why they specifically chose children. Children can’t even articulate their confusion, anger and hurt–and they certainly can’t run away or drive away. They are trapped. Perfect prey for the molester.

My therapist has told me that convicted pedophiles–even molesters with more than one victim coming forward–refuse to accept responsibility–even after months of intensive therapy. They still blame the child. Eventually, they are able to see how disgusting and bizarre their thinking is in a group setting–as they listen to other child rapists blame their victims. These people are insidious. They don’t care about how much hurt they cause. They don’t care that children who are molested grow up to be adults who are depressed, suicidal and haunted by eating disorders, alcohol addictions, drug problems and an inability to trust most people.

I can’t believe it. Besides serial pedophiles–I have NEVER seen any other person blame the child for their own sexual abuse, committed by a grown adult. Until now. One can only assume that the hierarchy of the Catholic Church has such a rampant, systemic problem with child sex abuse–that the hierarchy has adopted pedophile thinking. It’s possible that most of them are pedophiles themselves.

This is an abomination. It is revolting and good Catholics need to rise up and refuse to take this. Otherwise, those Catholics are complicit in child rape and in further attacking the victims–who the Catholic Church hierarchy clearly blames for their own suffering.

Unbelievable.

• MadMike

April 18, 2010 at 2:46 pm

This is a brilliant comment. Thanks so much for sharing JulieAnne. Your candor and careful analysis is refreshing. We hope you return to MMA.

MadMike

• Bee

April 18, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Ditto what Mike said. Very illuminating…I’m just so very sorry you had to go through hell to be here to tell us what the real deal is.

• Beautiful Bohemian

April 19, 2010 at 2:19 am

Thank you, As some one who’s been a scapegoat for my own predator and taken the blame for the pain inflicted to me, Thank you. Your information is highly helpful and enlightening. While nothing can ever mend what has been done to anyone who has faced this cruelty, having knowledge of the psyche of this type of predator can definitely help ease the confusion and guilt they are able to cause by convincing those you love that your (at fault for/telling lies about) the very thing that was forced upon you. Thank you.

• Mother Hen

April 23, 2010 at 7:19 am

Even though I have a background in psychology and have consistently heard the “I couldn’t help myself” defense used by pedophiles, I of course have never met any, or had the urge to talk about them to my therapist friends. They are so disgusting that I can barely stomach the thoughts needed to ponder the subject.

Thank you for your post! It truly shows how disgusting and unrepentant they are, and articulates well the damage caused by it. This is one group of mentally ill that I will never, ever have any sympathies for.

11. Pingback: Bischof: Kinder schuld an Missbrauchfällen « Aufklärung 2.0

12. Pingback: Pope takes the blame for homosexuality and child abuse « Die ganze Welt des Wahnsinns

13. Pingback: Anonymous

14. BB

April 21, 2010 at 6:19 am

Just thought I should point out this was posted in 2007. Although a ridiculous statement to make by the bishop, this is unrelated to the recent silly statements made recently by the vatican relating to the child abuse scandals.

15. Heather

April 22, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Thanks for the intelligent comments on this issue and for you candour JulieAnn and others.
    He’s having a double-whammy isn’t he? against children and gay people, just for good measure. Anything to shift the blame elsewhere.
    I agree with all comments. This is appalling. Perhaps the pope as the ultimate representative of the catholic church should take the ultimate balme and step down?

16. Alf

May 4, 2010 at 6:50 am

It’s about time the Catholic church was dismantled. It has mainly served to hinder the progress of humanity. It is nothing more than a greedy corporation. The Vatican is the smallest country on earth and the wealthiest.
    It hijacked the concept of Jesus just as MacDonlds now owns the mental realestate of the clown.

Good will prevail xoxoxo

17. zolta

September 18, 2010 at 1:01 am

well hey.
    catholic fucking filthy peodoes, molesters monsters an they live amongst us I have kids in my life I would kill to protect them against these truly disgusting pieces of catholic shit.
    Fucking Pope Fucking pope off else where an die.
    Religion is not an easy way out or a wall to hide behind when it is nothing to do with religion just filthy old men who don’t want any women married men etc just your boys an girls ! oh an no sex isn’t it a shame they have forced it on hundreds, thousands of girls and boys over these years and got away with it by beatings threats and even murder ! Yes you read that correct MURDER i saw an kept quiet though now it has come to lite actually some years ago but headline now because of another 3 million pound + pope nonce visit Who ?. Be a where all lock your children in hopefully this catholic uprising will go with bloodshed and all children will be safe !.
    An abused mentally scared escapee ( filthy fucking bastards )
    Bewhare !
    Love your children but not like a catholic !.
    Zolta.

18. zolta

September 18, 2010 at 1:46 am

Lock up your children keep them safe !

19. Matt

February 21, 2011 at 12:01 pm

How can it NOT be said that the Catholic Church sanctions pedophilia? And, how can ANY Catholic sleep at night?

• Michael John Scott

March 4, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I have to agree with you Matt.

20. DanaSidheSeer

March 4, 2011 at 2:46 pm

What do you expect from a bunch of men who dress like women but seem to hate them?

21. lee

March 6, 2011 at 4:37 am

You people are so clueless and gullible…..
    You are taking his words out of context, falsely representing him.

He was stating essentially that there are children who are “defective” morally speaking, and thus people must be on their guard against both temptation and being trapped into a compromising position by such a child. The fact that he mentioned Homosexual children proves that that was his entire point.

He wasn’t “blaming” child abuse on children, he was stating a simple fact of human nature, that there ARE some children who have serious problems of a sexual nature, and people should be aware of and guard against it. I’ve seen it myself in some children, especially ones from abuse. Thus what he said is the absolute truth.

We ALL know that the vast majority of sex with children is by abusing adults or older kids. Thus, his mentioning a lesser realized fact as being fact doesn’t make him some “bad” guy, or saying children in general are actually to blame for abuse.

Get a clue people. 🙁

22. Rosina

May 6, 2011 at 8:37 pm

This has always been part of the Catholic church. One has only to look at the history of the papacy which includes numerous abuses and brings to mind the sudden death of John Paul Ist and The Borgias in particular; do an online search of “The Ballet of the Chestnuts”…

23. Rosina

May 6, 2011 at 8:39 pm

He probably got off scott free, the scum bag…

24. Pingback: John Jay Study Equates Hierarchy’s Mentality to that of Abusing Priests [United States] « Polyamorie

25. Michael Tyson

January 21, 2012 at 12:55 pm

In fairness, any priest that gets a beating should blame it on themselves.

26. Pingback: Archived editorials by Vinnie Nauheimer |