Breaking: U.S. Military Kills Reporters and Civilians in Iraq (VIDEO)

WikiLeaks has released a classified US military video depicting the indiscriminate slaying of over a dozen people in the Iraqi suburb of New Baghdad — including two Reuters news staff.

The military did not reveal how the Reuters staff were killed, and stated that they did not know how the children were injured.

After demands by Reuters, the incident was investigated and the U.S. military concluded that the actions of the soldiers were in accordance with the law of armed conflict and its own “Rules of Engagement”.

Consequently, WikiLeaks has released the classified Rules of Engagement for 2006, 2007 and 2008, revealing these rules before, during, and after the killings.

WikiLeaks has released both the original 38 minutes video and a shorter version with an initial analysis. Subtitles have been added to both versions from the radio transmissions.

WikiLeaks obtained this video as well as supporting documents from a number of military whistleblowers. WikiLeaks goes to great lengths to verify the authenticity of the information it receives. We have analyzed the information about this incident from a variety of source material. We have spoken to witnesses and journalists directly involved in the incident.

WikiLeaks wants to ensure that all the leaked information it receives gets the attention it deserves. In this particular case, some of the people killed were journalists that were simply doing their jobs: putting their lives at risk in order to report on war. Iraq is a very dangerous place for journalists: from 2003- 2009, 139 journalists were killed while doing their work.

Reuters has been trying to obtain the video through the Freedom of Information Act, without success since the time of the attack. The video, shot from an Apache helicopter gun-site, clearly shows the unprovoked slaying of a wounded Reuters employee and his rescuers. Two young children involved in the rescue were also seriously wounded.

Ed: This is a very disturbing video.  It shows the crew of a United States Apache helicopter killing people.  It also includes the audio, which is equally disturbing.

Copyright 2010 MadMikesAmerica
Posted by on April 5, 2010. Filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

31 Responses to Breaking: U.S. Military Kills Reporters and Civilians in Iraq (VIDEO)

1. Gwendolyn H. Barry

April 5, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Bravo for your posting Mad Mike.
    Punitive actions should be taken. On all levels.
    As a photographer / media person I have walked into many different environments with camera / video equipment on my person and what I saw looked like that.. not rifles. However; in a war zone, I am aware that journalists including Chritian Amanpour have and do carry a gun for protection with the complete acknowledgement of the American military. This is out of hand and calls for punitive actions.
    It scares the shit out me that our troops are not cared for or overseen with more competent authority than the one that allowed this major fuck up. They come home PTS and incidents like this are notoriously elemental to how they acquire it… It’s awful enough for them to have to fight an often invisible enemy… vigilance of identity must be prioritized much more than this… why isn’t it? This hurts the heart.

April 5, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Gwen I have seen some very bad things in my life and I thought I was immune. This video disturbed me beyond words.

2. Lazersedge

April 5, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Mike great post. I am sitting trying to think what to say and the only thing that comes to mind is, “what the fuck were those guys thinking?” I know I am old and half blind but even I could tell those were not AK 47’s. It wasn’t like this was the “heat of battle” since they had time to go around for a better look. Then to shoot the people picking up their wounded WTF is up with that. Glad these folks enjoy their work so much because it sounded pretty damn cold to me.

April 5, 2010 at 7:15 pm

It upset me no end Bill. It put me over the top with regard to the war in Afghanistan. I no longer support it. I am tired of killing and death and war. Tired. I no longer support the mission. We need to get the hell out of there…

• osori

April 5, 2010 at 7:19 pm

I agree Mike.

April 5, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I never thought I would agree with Vigil, and I still don’t when it comes to his hatred of the president, but I do with regards to his stand on the war. I really never thought that day would come but this story, coupled with one at his place, and the memories, my own…I can no longer support it. We need to get the fuck out….

• Vigilante

April 5, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Aw shucks, Mike! Show me where I said I hate Barack Obama. Show me…..!

April 6, 2010 at 8:23 pm

You never used the words Vigil. It is an inference that any reasonable man would draw from what you say and how you say it. I am not judging you. I’m just sayin’

• Vigilante

December 11, 2010 at 3:57 pm

My feelings toward the President are not more negative than my feelings toward any other Republican.

3. Holte Ender

April 5, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Without getting into the rights and wrongs of everything about it, that was sickening.

April 5, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Yes. Then again in war is there really a “right or wrong?” I no longer believe this to be a “necessary war.”

4. Bee

April 5, 2010 at 7:37 pm

The video made my blood run cold for a couple of reasons.

1. I would like to see the audio subjected to voice analysis, because those guys didn’t even sound like their adrenaline was up.

2. That wasn’t war, that was a hunting expedition.

April 5, 2010 at 9:07 pm

War is hunting Mrs. Bee, but in war the prey can shoot back. Not, however, in this case.

5. Bee

April 5, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Ok, I have one more thing to say. I downloaded this to hard drive, because I figure before long it will disappear.

This is equivalent to the picture from the Vietnam war of the girl running naked and screaming after napalm burned her clothing off. This video should carry the same weight in the public consciousness – but I doubt it will.

April 5, 2010 at 9:05 pm

That is another picture that will live on in my memory Bee….I have too many pictures there. Too many..

6. The Lawyer

April 5, 2010 at 8:42 pm

That will always be the problem with having a war, so if you are going to fucking declare it, it ought to be very goddamn necessary. Thanks W., Cheney and Rummie. A hot place in hell awaits you.

April 5, 2010 at 9:06 pm

The Lawyer writes:

“..A hot place in hell for you…”

Yes! Yes! Yes!

• osori

April 5, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Hell awaits them, I’m sure it does.

April 5, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Oso: This is one of those times I wish I believed in the idea of heaven and hell 🙂

• osori

April 6, 2010 at 12:28 am

Seriously,it helps. It really does.Kind of an emotional equalizer, if that makes sense?

Maybe if I was the type who went around trying to convert people I could use it as a selling point. Tell people it lets you picture all your enemies burning in Hell and lets you feel good about it!

• The Lawyer

April 6, 2010 at 8:04 am

Yeah, I conjured up hell for them because I was pissed off when that video was over. I seriously doubt the existence of heaven and hell in the grade school Biblical sense, however, I do believe in karma.

7. fourdinners

April 6, 2010 at 1:44 pm

You go to / live in a war zone you might get shot. And? Don’t go there / move.

Oh I’m feeling so heartless right now!

• Krell

April 6, 2010 at 10:48 pm

FourDinners….Was that the official slogan of London,”Just move out”, when those V-2 rockets were raining down?

Hey, this heartless thing seems to be contagious.

8. Krell

April 6, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I don’t think that video in anyway can be defended as “following the rules of engagement” or any other excuse. That is cold blooded murder.

But you also think of past incidences, such as the firestorms of Dresden, firebombing Tokyo, Hiroshima, the forgotten war of Korea where 25% percent of the North Korean population was killed by bombing, Vietnam. When war is waged, declared or not, innocent people including children, die. That is why it is should be used only as a !!!VERY LAST RESORT!!! not as Plan B of some foreign policy or as some resource war.

April 6, 2010 at 8:20 pm

It was mistaken identity. Those troopers didn’t set out to murder anyone. The fact that they did, without malice or aforethought, speaks volumes all by itself.

• Krell

April 6, 2010 at 10:43 pm

It wasn’t mistaken ID when they shot to hell the van that was picking up the wounded. It wasn’t mistaken when those kids were visible!

9. fourdinners

April 6, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Dresden was different. The Brits had taken 4 years of the blitz. They dished some of it back. Good stuff.

I agree, people getting blown to bits and burned alive is not, generally speaking, a good thing, but ‘Bomber’ Harris pretty much decided the Germans needed a dose of their own medicine at Dresden….I would suggest he delivered.

War is not good. People die without war, more do with.

I don’t want to see war anywhere ever.

However, if others make war against Britain as in WWI & II I prefer winning – and if that takes fire bombing Dresden it’ll do for me.

Better nobody dies through war.

Better ‘they’ do than we do if war happens.

It’s called ‘humanity’.

We aren’t always very nice to each other eh?

April 6, 2010 at 8:21 pm

We are rarely nice to each other. War sucks. People die, but without it, in some cases and as you mention, even more people could die.

• Krell

April 6, 2010 at 10:39 pm

fourdinners.. my point of bringing out those examples is not to dispute if certain battles of WWII were needed. Besides, history is always written by the victors. General Lemay responded that if the US had lost in WWII he would had been tried as a war criminal for the Tokyo firestorms.

My point is that innocent people are going to die in wars so you better damn well have a good reason to fight in one. The US in Iraq, in my opinion, does not have a good reason.

This “Weapons of Mass Destruction” claim was a bogus claim from the get go. Bushies along with the Neo-Cons had the war plans drawn up before he took the oath of office!

April 8, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Hear! Hear!

10. Discofunkypants

December 11, 2010 at 12:46 pm

At about 3:45 two of the non camera wielding guys defiantly look like they have weapons. While it certainly seems they mistook his camera for an rpg, they did see individuals with weapons. If I’m a reporter and I’m talking with troops of either side of the army in a combat zone I’m assuming a certain amount of risk. If one of my friends was doing this and I was in the area to come rescue him, I assume a certain amount of risk by driving my car to a spot that was just fired upon by a helicopter. Its terrible what happened, but this isn’t the first time this is just the first video.The moral of they story combat zones are dangerous, don’t bring your children. Think about it, are any of you going on a rescue mission with your kids in the car? These solders had no idea who was driving this van and unfortunately no little arrows to point out children. And as far as them being unemotional about it, what do you want them to do cry? They are trained to be stoic killing machines not lament over every souls light they snuff out. These solders did what they thought was right. Unfortunately innocent people where hurt and killed. The soldiers should pay for their mistakes, but it should not be in the light which you are casting. This constitutes manslaughter at best, not murder. I think its strange that they can use these grainy pictures to determine the validity of a target. What scares me is how easy it is to make a mistake like this and how much power is in the hands of someone with such choppy vision. It seems to me like they should be forced to go through some type of intermediate source to verify a target before engaging it or at least a more rigorous training program to identify targets based off of these pictures.