Oil “may” Enter Loop Current: Target-Florida Keys-Beaches-Beyond

I was stunned when I found this breaking news. I lived in the lower Florida Keys for 20 years and am intimately familiar with its waterways and wildlife. Unless you have been there you would have no real idea of the terrible devastation this will cause to that fragile ecosystem. Here is the heartbreaking story from The Huffington Post:

Scientists say the Gulf oil spill could get into the what’s called the Loop Current within a day, eventually carrying oil south along the Florida coast and into the Florida Keys.

Nick Shay, a physical oceanographer at the University of Miami Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, said Monday once the oil enters the Loop Current, it likely will end up in the Keys and continue east into the Gulf Stream.

Shay says the oil could affect Florida’s beaches, coral reefs, fisheries and ecosystem within a week.

He described the Loop Current as similar to a “conveyor belt,” sweeping around the Gulf, through the Keys and right up the East Coast.

Shay says he cannot think of any scenario where the oil doesn’t eventually reach the Florida Keys.

Here, thanks to Oso, is an even more thorough analysis of this crisis.

Copyright 2010 MadMikesAmerica
Posted by on May 3, 2010. Filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

7 Responses to Oil “may” Enter Loop Current: Target-Florida Keys-Beaches-Beyond

1. fourdinners

May 3, 2010 at 6:54 pm

I saw dead turtles on Sky today. It really is as bad as it gets?

Start a ‘Paypal’ thingy old bean. Personally, until I’m earning again, it would be a small sum but many small sums add up eh?

MMA Appeal For The Gold Coast. £10 today may well be another 0 on the end in a few weeks when I’m earning again. True, money isn’t the only answer but what else have we got?

Least we can do I reckon.

• MadMike

May 3, 2010 at 6:57 pm

It’s a thought but then again there will be plenty of organizations out there that are better equipped to handle such a disaster. I will send you the link when I locate one. Thanks man.

2. osori

May 3, 2010 at 7:07 pm

here’s a pretty good explanation on efforts to stop it, and some more charts from Washington’s Blog:

washingtons blog

• MadMike

May 3, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Thanks Oso. There are some serious “doomsday” scenarios here. Let’s hope they get this think capped soon.

3. Angel

May 3, 2010 at 8:10 pm

I am in Duck Key around MM61 and so far we have not seen anything. I am hoping like you that we don’t although it seeems as if it may be inevitable. The wildlife and reefs are so delicate and could be the first to be affected.

• MadMike

May 3, 2010 at 9:22 pm

I have spent a lot of time on Duck Key Angel, and more time driving by it. It is a beautiful place. Let’s keep our fingers crossed. It is not expected to make its way there, if it does, until the end of the week. Then again anything can happen. We are, after all, talking about the weather and we know how often that changes.

4. Holte Ender

May 4, 2010 at 7:46 am

The Florida Keys survive hurricanes, gales and just plain old severe storms, but this black crap lapping gently around the shoreline is much more dangerous and if it gets sucked into the Gulf Stream, that oil slick will take a trip around the world.