Musings From The Edge: Adrift – A Clumsy Bit of Prose

Adrift in the darkness for time infinite among stars this rock
Finds no purpose other than to exist and just be
A chance encounter with another of similar composition
Brings a wondrous flash of light and thunderous sound
Bright but is not seen, loud but is not heard
Minerals and chemicals mix and froth in an unseen manner
Bring forth micro-organisms within it bowels
Existing and expanding to the depths of its waters
Swimming then crawling onto its shores

Life arrived as an it then as them
Coldblooded at first warmblooded later
Used of the rock and returned to the rock
Life was the rock the rock was life
Being consumed and consuming itself
Surviving was the rock the ravenous attack
Of emerging parasites feeding off its bounty

Them crawled from the sea to the land
Took legs breathed air claimed the rock
Like insects spread they did to all places of the rock
Land overrun with the big and the small
The quest led to the thunderous beast
Whose power and strength seemed unmatched
The rock endured, undaunted the pounding, the great weight

More life emerged as the rock spun on
Still unharmed by those who had tread on its crust
Five billion years in the making this speck of rock
Cared for by its own magical cycle of life
It fed all who had emerged to exist
And thrived upon the rich bounty, nourishment it spewed forth
All species had more than needed to survive and live well

Five billion years in the making how long could it last
After the new line of destructive forces began
Out of the dark continent came one insatiable force
One of which the rock could have never conceived
It lusted for more than the need to survive and to flourish
But a need of domination, conquering, destruction
Everything it saw, it touched, it imagined
Taken, Consumed, Destroyed

No longer adrift among the stars this rock
Swirls in elliptical circumference to pleasure
A force of two legged carbon base which cares not for the rock
Only to gorge itself no mind the loss
Five billion years to grow a few thousand to die
Again this rock will be lifeless once more

Copyright 2010 MadMikesAmerica
Posted by on May 24, 2010. Filed under Commentary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

15 Responses to Musings From The Edge: Adrift – A Clumsy Bit of Prose

1. Gwendolyn H. Barry

May 24, 2010 at 9:22 am

I’m kinda a Walt Whitman lover when it comes to life surrounding and sustaining me, I stay positively enthused. But I sure do sit with these words this morning, sip coffee and wonder….over your tumult of our cosmology
    and I think
    don’t cry, culture will remain
    we are evolving through consciousness. Nothing else. I hope I hope I hope I hope Ihopeihopeihopeihope….. u follow me I’m sure. LOL

I really liked your poetry, LZ … thx fro getting Monday, in a full Leo moon (very creative influences) off to such a grand start! And for the tear….
    damn! the full moon is in Sagg …. mine is in Leo…ah but I am a Sagg. How come we don’t have a weely astrological column???? I wouldn’t get so screwed up!
    Yes… I do know a few… two already publish columns. But dang! MMA should have one!

• MadMike

May 24, 2010 at 11:13 am

I agree Gwen and I used to do one at the old blogspot but now I just don’t have time. I do think it is a GREAT idea. Are you volunteering? 🙂 🙂

• Lazersedge

May 24, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Thank you Gwen. It isn’t Waly but it is from the heart, or somewhere.

2. MadMike

May 24, 2010 at 11:15 am

Did you write this Bill? Remember I have keys to Turnitin.com 🙂 Anyway it is most touching and I enjoyed it despite the rather dark but inevitable ending. Thanks man…

• Lazersedge

May 24, 2010 at 1:33 pm

All mine Mike with no help from Johnny W.

3. Mother Hen

May 24, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Epic and depressing at the same time. But all truth is.

• Lazersedge

May 24, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Sad to say that is the case Mother.

4. fourdinners

May 24, 2010 at 2:12 pm

‘Epic and depress­ing at the same time. But all truth is.’

…not with vodka it isn’t…;-)

Nice one old bean. Hey Mikey! We’ve got ourselves a MMA Poet Laureate!

• MadMike

May 24, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Yes we do! He surprised me 🙂 Now all we have to do is get him to open up a Digg account and click the little button 🙂

• Lazersedge

May 24, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Great Mike, except I don’t know what a digg account is my friend.

5. Krell

May 24, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Great bit of prose there, Lazer.

Are we just a small blip on what Earth’s history will be?

An aberration, soon corrected by our own actions?

Personally, I think that will be the case.

• Lazersedge

May 24, 2010 at 7:16 pm

I agree with you Krell. We are merely a bad accident of nature which, in terms of the life of this planet, is but a tiny blemish on this rock.

6. Lazersedge

May 24, 2010 at 7:10 pm

lol 4d. Vodka only numbs the inevitability not the results.

7. Holte Ender

May 24, 2010 at 11:11 pm

I think you have some Viking blood Lazer and probably some Celt too and some Saxon with a smidge of Angle and not forgeting Jute and Pict.

8. Anonymous

April 5, 2013 at 6:27 pm

WOW!!!!!!! Absolutely incredible!!!! It actually made my eyes water -well – there is a bit of dust in the air mind you…