The (English) Empire Strikes Back : Land Of Hope And Glory

Ty Pennington.

He’s the reason. Cough Cough Obama…no chance.

The English love America most recently purely because of Ty Pennington.

His show knocks down crap houses lived in by people with cancer, or, after losing husbands or wives to cancer, or finding themselves with crippled husbands or wives etc etc etc.

Recently it was a Dallas S.W.A.T. Lieutenant left crippled after a shooting.

Everybody shouts a lot, all the appropriate towns people arrive and houses are demolished and rebuilt in a few days.

Then everybody shouts a bit more and the family receiving the new house come home from a vacation.

Then they shout a lot and, often, burst into tears.

Then they go inside their new home and more shouting and crying ensues.

Dead husbands / wives appear in newly arranged picture frames or, alternatively, monuments of some kind are erected in the so called back yard – which is generally larger than Wales.

We, the people of England adore this show. Well, I do anyroad…

If nothing else, it tests our ‘stiff upper lip’ to the highest degree.

I never cry watching this show.

“My husband died of cancer and left me with 8 kids and a cardboard box”

“My wife died and left me to bring up 19 kids and 5 cats with only $2 in the bank”

No matter. This Englishmans stiff upper lip remains stiff throughout.

If Carol is here when it’s on.

If Carol isn’t here…….I could flood Venice…..

I absolutely adore this show.

If Americans are really even slightly, remotely like the Americans I see in this show then, not only do I love you, I will have your children.

If this show is truly representative of a substantial number of Americans and their willingness to help a neighbour, then you are truly the new land of ‘Hope and Glory’

Just a quicky before I wake tomorrow for my traditional Sunday post…

Night Ty….Stay loud mate. You are a major star in The Dinners household.

…and no….I didn’t cry at tonights episode…Carol was here…I merely had something in my eye….;-)

“MOVE THAT BUS!!!”

Copyright 2010 MadMikesAmerica
Posted by on May 9, 2010. Filed under Commentary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

7 Responses to The (English) Empire Strikes Back : Land Of Hope And Glory

1. Tim Waters

May 8, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Well now You big cry baby, Do you think it’s just you who turns on the old water works. That damn show get’s me all the time.
    When my wife puts it on she doesn’t tell me and Puff there it is. Not fair if you ask me. A conspiracy to change all us so cold hard nose old farts to being s e n s i t i v e……..
    So be it, when I can walk again it’s to the titty bar for me and I’ll ask for a few to go…..

2. Mother Hen

May 8, 2010 at 10:08 pm

These are just two examples from the recent past in this town of 35k people. (I’d wager there are even more untold stories in bigger cities.)

There was an old lady in town here living in a rundown cottage- roof leaking, no running water, no electricity. No hookups for these things either as the house was turn-of-the-century and she’d lived there since childhood in the same level of squalor.

So a guy who is a builder/developer/house-flipper finds out about her, and puts her into one of his apartments to live while he fixes up her house. It had been fully completed when I first saw it. Like something out of a magazine- charming, adorable, new everything! She paid nothing and lived there the rest of her life- she died just 2 weeks ago.

Another lady was famous about town for riding her bicycle everywhere. It was an old beat up thing, but it was her only transport. She looked to be in her 60’s or so, and even the people my age remember seeing her around on her bike (the same one!) when they were kids.

So she goes shopping at a local charity resale shop and leaves her bike outside. It is mistakenly thought to be a donation, and is taken to the central HQ to be priced and sold. Of course she was distressed at this, and when people found out bikes- new, old- poured in. No one even knew her name- just the “crazy bike lady,” but they were all willing to replace what she lost.

The worst types of humanity get all the press. Not all Americans are teabaggers or greedy douchebankers. Most people- even the conservatives, will go out of their way to help someone personally.

3. Infidel753

May 8, 2010 at 10:52 pm

the so called back yard — which is gen­er­ally larger than Wales.

That must have been the Dallas episode. I’ve been to Texas. They are seriously into thing being BIG down there.

It’s kind of a tradition in the US that people help each other out. I’ve read about small towns rallying to help out a family which was running out of money because the man of the house was deployed in Iraq. Maybe we watch out for each other more because the government doesn’t do as much to take care of the unlucky as it does in Europe.

4. Bee

May 9, 2010 at 8:33 am

I have a “thing” for Ty Pennington. Shhh, Don’t tell Mr. Bee, he’d just look at me like I had finally gone ’round the bend.

I love that show too, and yeah, things like that happen pretty often around here, too.

One of the more popular charitable pursuits in these parts is Habitat for Humanity. They build small homes for lower-income families. One can show up, have a hammer put in one’s hand and go to town learning to frame or drywall.

5. punxxi

May 9, 2010 at 1:35 pm

yeah, we are freakin’ softies. :o)

6. The Lawyer

May 9, 2010 at 5:14 pm

There is a cooperative compassionate side to the American psyche. There is also a lot of a screw you and keep your hands off mine, and do it yourself like I did attitude that run deep in the American psyche. Sometimes those two qualities (or lack thereof) exist in the same person. We’re weird.

7. Mother Hen

May 9, 2010 at 5:43 pm

I have definitely noticed that there is a willingness for neighbors to help people who are obviously in need through no fault of their own. People who have an “entitlement” mentality arouse the ire of most everyone, and only the government agencies help them.