Support for health care rising rapidly

United States President Barack Obama signs int...
Image via Wikipedia

The patient is alive and kicking. A new Associated Press-GfK poll finds public support for President Obama’s new health care law has risen to its highest point. The nation remains divided, with 45% in favor and 42% opposed to the president’s signature domestic accomplishment, but the shift is significant—last month, supporters were outnumbered 39% to 46%. “I thought when people began to realize what was in the health care package that they would see it’s a good, solid program,” said one respondent.

President Obama and his allies have been heavily touting the immediate benefits of the plan. “They are clearly making progress in convincing more Americans that this bill is the right way to go,” said one Harvard public health professor. The poll found support rising among men (from 36% to 46%), people in their prime working years (from 35% to 49%), and even Republicans (from 8% to 17%), despite their party’s call for the law’s repeal.

Enhanced by Zemanta
Copyright 2010 MadMikesAmerica
Posted by on June 17, 2010. Filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

6 Responses to Support for health care rising rapidly

1. Holte Ender

June 17, 2010 at 5:31 pm

I have been reading that support has been growing at a ‘stealthy’ rate, reality is setting in now the noise has quit.

2. fourdinners

June 17, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Anyone who thought they’d be dead but aren’t will probably support it. Makes sense to me.

3. MadMike

June 17, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Yep. It is a good beginning.

4. Iman Azol

June 17, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Meanwhile, the best pollsters in the business (called the last three elections within .5%) say it’s very unpopular.

My own, unscientific survey, of people who grew up in countries with government health care (including me) say it’s grounds for a revolution.

However, I’m a firm believer in choice. If you really want someone else to pay for your wants, move to France.

• MadMike

June 17, 2010 at 9:16 pm

I don’t agree with you but I am glad you stopped by. I hope to see you again.

• Mother Hen

June 18, 2010 at 7:05 am

The poll you mention is percent of likely voters who wish for the plan to be repealed. Having experienced the usual definition of “likely voters” as being mostly conservatives, the poll numbers are not at all surprising. As for OVERALL support, (meaning the country as a whole) the numbers may have risen a little, but not as much as they might have had true reform actually taken place.