The United Rooney States Of Donovan

Well I’ll be damned! We actually DID IT! WE being the operative word.

I say that more from an English perspective than an American one given our slightly bizarre performance against Algeria.

You had a perfectly good goal disallowed against Slovenia and, in my view – along with anyone who vaguely understands the game, a perfectly good goal from Clint Dempsey disallowed against Algeria.

No matter. You scored the decisive goal and you’re through to the knock out stages – deservedly so too I hasten to add.

Many congratulations and KEEP THE FAITH YANKEE DOODLE!!!! Who knows what could happen eh?

England finally decided to play football – or even soccer if you really prefer – it took them a while but, finally, we started to look like the team we are.

A bloody good team with a real chance of winning The World Cup outright.

1 – 0 against Slovenia doesn’t sound overly impressive but, without their extraordinary goal keeper it would have been 3 or 4 so, despite sweating buckets in the last ten minutes England fans are happy bunny’s.

Landon Donovans interview was supurb. As he wiped tears of joy from his eyes I suspect England fans watching – now happy that we’re through too – would have felt a bit of a lump in the eye and a tear in the throat too.

Marvellous stuff!!!

Who the hell either of us meet in the knock out stages is anyones guess.

It could be any of the four teams in Group whatever it is. Germany, Ghana, Australia and…er…someone else…oh yeah…Serbia….

I suppose we’d both rather avoid Germany as they are real contenders but, on the other hand…if you’re going to be the best, sooner or later you have to beat the best eh?

Anyroad.

GO ENGLAND!!! GO AMERICA!!!!

I want England to win the World Cup…obviously…but I would so so so so LOVE America to keep going and beat whoever comes their way (unless it’s us).

Is it wrong for a devout Englishman to feel such unadulterated joy at seeing the USA get through?

Absolutely brilliant day peeps!!!!

Let’s enjoy and fly our flags!

This is what The World Cup is all about!!!!

Laters and let’s be careful out there…from a very drunk and happy 4D’s xx

By the way…do we care that no African nation has made it through???

DILLIGAF!!!!!!!!! (I will translate on request)….

Copyright 2010 MadMikesAmerica
Posted by on June 23, 2010. Filed under Commentary,News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

16 Responses to The United Rooney States Of Donovan

1. fourdinners

June 23, 2010 at 2:54 pm

oh bugger requests…D = Do….I = I….L = Look….L = Like….I = I….G = Give….A = A…. F = Fuck?

DILLIGAF = Do I Look Like I Give A Fuck?

GO ENGLAND!!!! GO AMERICA!!!!

See you in the final!!!! Oh YEAH!!! Now that would be something eh????

2. The Lawyer

June 23, 2010 at 3:59 pm

I wish I could of seen the England/Slovenia match, but I was too busy making everyone here at the office stand on pins and needles yelling, moaning and in the last minutes celebrating wildly when Donovan knocked it in. I have to wonder if world cup ref’s hate America. Those bastards have done their utmost to hose our chances of advancing. The only thing I would change about international soccer, or football as I have heard it called, is to install a review that should take no longer than 45 seconds to keep those f’ing bastards from ruining the outcomes of very important matches. These world cup ref’s should have numbers on their jerseys since they seem to be as crucial to the matches as the players. Hey, WE won, so, I’m extremely happy. I wonder how long this high will last.

3. Holte Ender

June 23, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I can’t stand much of this drama, but I suppose I will, the last 16 is when it starts to get really tasty.

4. fourdinners

June 23, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Complete agreement old bean.

I have sensed – possibly through being naturally paranoid – a few, can I say?, anti-American decisions?

Certainly football is a funny old game and, sometimes the ‘best team’ doesn’t win but, your goal against Slovenia was so clearly a ‘good goal’ you have to wonder eh?

Dempsey’s goal tonight was, in my view and many other English views, clearly ‘on side’…having said that…it happens…such is life.

No matter. America beat both Algeria and the referee so fuck it. Even that ref couldn’t stop you eh?

You’re through and deservedly so.

Even more importantly, if England really fuck up again at least I’ll have someone to cheer!!…;-)

See you in the final old bean!…Oh I so so hope so!!!! England Vs USA World Cup Final!!!

…mind you…I wouldn’t readily forgive you if you beat us then…;-)

• The Lawyer

June 23, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I agree. We need a re-match.

5. fourdinners

June 23, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Holty! Just drink beer and peep through your hands….works for me…;-)

6. Holte Ender

June 23, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I don’t don’t drink in the mornings any more, games are on in the a.m. here. perhaps this weekends games will be afternooners.

7. fourdinners

June 23, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Regardless old bean…The USA through on merit and ability. What more can you ask for?

England through because they are waaay better than the Algeria game suggested and they finally started to show it.

WTF??? We’re through old bean!!! Let’s enjoy!!!

I guarentee…England fans will, from now on, appear at USA games (the plural shows confidence in you eh?) and cheer you on ’cause we really LOVE America and – unless you’re playing us of course – would genuinely love you to go all the way!!!

…not too likely this time I admit…but 2014?…who knows….2018? You either will be there or you’ll be giving up…I reckon by 2018 the USA will be well up there.

Maybe this time? Who says you have to wait????

Good luck for the rest of The World Cup! I’m booking off Englands games (of course) and I’m booking off The USA games.

It’s alright for me…I’m cheering on two teams!!!…;-)

8. fourdinners

June 23, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Holty : Then don’t drink…just peep through your hands sober…;-) (I have no idea what that would feel like),,,;-)

Just an aside….The England fans singing ‘God Save The Queen’ and ‘Rule Brittania’ is cool but…er….That’s the British National Anthem and a British tune….thought we were England…or, possibly..Engerland…Engerland nah nah!!!!

I reckon the national anthem should be ‘Land Of Hope And Glory’ as it is specifically English.

Valid point I think…mind you, if we win the bloody thing would I care?

DILLIGAF???!!!!!!…;-)

9. fourdinners

June 23, 2010 at 5:27 pm

‘Me and me mum and me dad and me gran are off to Waterloo…

Me and me mum and me dad and me gran and a bucket of vindaloo…

Vindaloo!!! Vindaloo!!! Vindaloo Vindaloo NAH NAH!!!’

…It’d an English thing..we’re all daft really…;-)

10. fourdinners

June 23, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Hic!…Well and truly pissed…time for bed…I leave you with the REAL England song…..

Nite America…

It’s coming home, it’s coming home
    It’s coming ……. home

(Good old England, England who couldn’t play football)

It’s coming home, it’s coming home
    It’s coming, football’s coming home
    (repeat)

Everyone seems to know the score
    They’ve seen it all before
    They just know, tey’re so sure
    That England’s gonna throw it away
    Gonna blow it away but I know they can play
    Cause I remember

Three Lions on a shirt, Jules Rimet still gleaming
    All these years of hurt, never stopped me dreaming

So many jokes, so many sneers
    But all those oh-so-nears
    Wear you down through the years
    But I still see that tackle by Moore
    And when Lineker scored
    Bobby belting the ball
    And Nobby Dancing

Three Lions on a shirt
    Jules Rimet still gleaming
    All these years of hurt
    Never stopped me dreaming

(Good old England, England who couldn’t play football,
    England have got it in the bag)

Dreaming!!!

I know that was then
    But it could be again

It’s coming home, it’s coming home
    It’s coming, football’s coming home
    (repeat)

One, two, one two three four

Three Lions on a shirt
    Jules Rimet still gleaming
    All these years of hurt
    Never stopped me dreaming

It’s coming home, it’s coming home
    It’s coming home ……

11. fourdinners

June 23, 2010 at 5:32 pm

…footballs coming home….

hic…nite…x

12. Pingback: Tweets that mention The United Rooney States Of Donovan -- Topsy.com

13. Tim Waters

June 23, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Sorry it’s not football and I hate it. I don’t like golf, bowling, darts,or any other so called sport other than American Football. So enjoy your pretend sport, I know I’m on the edge of my seat in anticipation of yet another goal. Whatever year that might be. The reason the fans get perhaps a little rowdy is their bored. You have to have something to do.

did that get yer blood boiling….only kidding..enjoy!!

14. fourdinners

June 23, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Tim….oh dear….The WORLD Cup?..as in THE WORLD?…Every nation?..

The WORLD SERIES…Just American baseball…..Entertaining as it may be ‘The World Series’ is a bunch of crap. America ain’t the world mate…never has been never will be..get over it.

America could actually present itself on the REAL world stage here….It already has and it ain’t doing half bad either!!!

This ain’t ‘pretend’ old bean…this is as real as it gets…and the USA is doing fine..

THIS is a REAL WORLD SERIES….

WAKE UP AMERICA!!! YOU ARE NOW TAKING ON THE WORLD!!!

..and you ain’t doing a bad job of it!!!!

• Tim Waters

June 23, 2010 at 6:27 pm

I was ribbing you…just playing….

I love it when we play England…Ha!