Blagojovech guilty!

A Chicago jury found former Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich guilty on 1 count of racketeering, i.e. in this case lying to federal investigators.  They were deadlocked on the remaining counts. Sentencing will take place at some point in the future should the government not elect to try him again.

Enhanced by Zemanta
Copyright 2010 MadMikesAmerica
Posted by on August 17, 2010. Filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

8 Responses to Blagojovech guilty!

1. The Lawyer

August 17, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Bam, zing. He’s very lucky that is all he is being sentenced for. I would say the defense team kicked ass for him.

2. Jess

August 17, 2010 at 5:56 pm

So is racketeering the same as lying to the FBI because that is what it looks like, from a couple other places I have seen this reported?

• A Michael J. Scott

August 17, 2010 at 6:18 pm

The case was classified as racketeering. Of the 24 counts he was found guilty of the lying charge. I should have made that clear. I did since I read your comment. Thanks Jess.

• Jess

August 17, 2010 at 6:21 pm

I have no idea what racketeering is, other than watching old gangster movies about the mob so I wanted to ask to make sure. Thanks for the clarification.

• A Michael J. Scott

August 17, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Racketeering falls under the RICO statute. It is used as a catchall for those who are indicted for wrongdoing in cases such as this. Martha Stewart found herself in a similar predicament.

3. Holte Ender

August 17, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Hang, draw and quarter him, but don’t kill him, I’m against capital punishment.

• A Michael J. Scott

August 17, 2010 at 6:19 pm

I like him. I don’t think he did anything different from all the rest of the pols. Besides he is an Elvis fan 🙂

4. Joe Hagstrom

August 17, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Blago is a slimeball MadMike. I’ve met him in person.