Power concedes nothing without a demand.

Atrocity committed most often by private mercenary forces hired by our government and including the crimes of our soldiers.

Exxon-Mobil and BP.
Conspiracy is sometimes right. It certainly was in Viet Nam.

Copyright 2010 MadMikesAmerica
Posted by on August 23, 2010. Filed under Commentary,News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

23 Responses to Power concedes nothing without a demand.

1. A Michael J. Scott

August 23, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I’m curious as to which Vietnam atrocities you refer Gwen, other than My Lai of course. Thanks.

• Gwendolyn H. Barry

August 23, 2010 at 3:50 pm

The whole of war is an atrocity. Specifically, for America My Lai is the largest referable act of “violence that exceeds military need” in Viet Nam. It’s famous… so is Abu ghraib, now. But the collective writing by veteran Viet Nam authors detail atrocities that became common and drove so many to the edge of despair over there. Ron Kovic comes to mind easily and Tim O’Brien is another. It’s been the fuel for many books and movies.

I dug this up: [Between 1965 and 1973, 201 U.S. soldiers and 77 Marines were convicted of serious crimes against the Vietnamese. All in all, this is a very small number given the size of the force and length of time involved. While critics say the number is small because crimes were not prosecuted, the truth is that American soldiers in Vietnam for the most part behaved well.]

But the video and the point is essentially, that Iraq and now Afghanistan will eventually yield more stories of atrocity by these mercenaries our tax dollars pay for and the US military. The Wikileaks film footage was very revealing. While most soldiers are not demonstrating these kinds of cruelty… all most every group, unit or cadre of hired mercs have complaints and charges against them in a range of serious crimes.

The message is; decide that war is very wrong. It’s unprofitable too. It doesn’t make sense.

• Krell

August 23, 2010 at 5:07 pm

CIA Operation Phoenix Counter-Terror program implemented from 1967 to 1972. Using specially trained assassination squads to neutralized (kill) 20,197 South Vietnamese politicians, etc with the specific purpose of creating “Counter Terror” and psych-op warfare of the public.

One among many of their operations involved cutting the ears and noses off the dead and leaving playing cards as markers showing who did it. Suspect informants were marked by using a wooden dowel rod shoved from one ear through to the other ear.

Documented in Church Committee Hearings before US Congress 1975.

• Krell

August 23, 2010 at 5:20 pm

But I might add that these were not your ordinary soldiers drafted from anytown USA that was involved in doing this.

These were the hardcore Rangers, Berets, and CIA Mercenaries selected for this type missions.

Not that it makes those people any less dead.

IMHO, there are lots of examples from any country that has gone to war, on either side, of atrocities. When they say that war is hell, it is truly FUCKING hell!

Innocents are killed. Mothers and children are killed.

That is why it should be the very last choice of any sane political leader and should never be considered part of a “Foreign policy”.

To use a quote…War makes us all “Sons of Bitches”.

• A Michael J. Scott

August 23, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Counter-ops? Psy-ops? Oh no! We should never do that. We should leave the poor enemy alone. Poor enemy!!! Nasty Yankee interlopers 🙂 🙂 We know the poor enemy would never do such things. They were the good guys….

Note: Snark hat is on for this comment 🙂

2. A Michael J. Scott

August 23, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Gosh! The poor NVA! They didn’t want to hurt Americans. They were a peace loving army who just wanted to be left alone. They never shot at the Evil Americans. Why in the world would we kill them? Oh darn.

Secondly the taking of ears and etc. was not authorized. It was a courts martial offense. Individual soldiers did what they did, perhaps because the enemy was doing the same to their brothers, but who knows. Again, and I don’t give a damn about the Church investigation, the mutilation of the enemy was NOT standard operating procedure (SOP).

Yes! War sucks. War is hell and I hate it. Having been there I guess I can easily say that. Sometimes, however, war is a necessary evil.

Finally, I cannot believe, all these many years later, there are those who will continue to diminish the accomplishments of the brave American soldier, who would rather have been anywhere else than that hell-hole, and in the same breath place the enemy, those who killed us, tried to kill us, maimed us, and etc, on some sort of pedestal. It reminds of the airport at Oakland in the 60’s and early 70’s……

• Krell

August 23, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I wasn’t saying anything about evil Americans, Mike. I was just mentioning a evil program that 97 percent of the soldiers probably weren’t even aware of.

And I certainly was not putting the NVA on a pedestal!

Although I was not in that war, I had several relatives and older friends that had fought. It was a huge disgrace that the American soldiers were drafted, dropped in that shit hole to fight for years, and then dropped back here with no support or adjustment. Please do not try to assume how I think on that subject.

• A Michael J. Scott

August 23, 2010 at 5:45 pm

You are the one making the assumptions. Me? I’m just sayin’….

• Krell

August 23, 2010 at 5:45 pm

What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

• A Michael J. Scott

August 23, 2010 at 5:52 pm

As we used to say in Vietnam:

“there it is…”

• Krell

August 23, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Selective deletion of comments does make it seem really out of place doesn’t it.

• A Michael J. Scott

August 23, 2010 at 7:30 pm

As does selective editing of comments 🙂

• greenlight

August 24, 2010 at 12:01 am

Well, whatever the h*ll happened here, it made for a good read, comments and all. 🙂

• Gwendolyn H. Barry

August 23, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Um, Krell, I do hope you know that the comments on this post are kinda screwed up as far as when they are published? What’s that all about?

ok, like this one… it’s supposed to be in Krell’s box of “what’s that supposed to mean”
          What WAS said in here?

• Krell

August 23, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Just some strong discussion among friends, Gwen. Probably caused a time warp or something..

3. fourdinners

August 23, 2010 at 5:42 pm

My daughter’s boyfriend and his mum and sister just returned from a ‘cycling holiday’ in Vietnam.

They invited me along.

Dinners on a bicycle in Vietnam….now that would have been an atrocity!…Can you just imagine??? Me in Lycra????

The VC would have reformed!!!!…and quite right too….;-)

4. The Lawyer

August 23, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Ug. That’s depressing. Good share, Gwen.

5. Gwendolyn H. Barry

August 23, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I’ve been napping, eh? I’m kinda confused… ???? last I knew I was responding to Mike’s query.

But carry on…. sans the whinny ???

I just hope all might see the wholeness of war as atrocity. This IS NOT an anti- US military video. It’s anti government that goes to war for greedy guts ventures. Over 1 million Iraqi’s are dead. 4 million are displaced. 28% of Iraqi children are disfigured, maimed or suffer birth defects. Mom’s are the hardest working people on the planet. I’ve fallen asleep some nights wondering about Mom’s in Iraq trying to cope. Children. What finally does make a difference? That says YES>>>WAR SUCKS>>> WE SHOULD GO TO WAR NO MORE.

That was my point …

6. Mother Hen

August 23, 2010 at 8:27 pm

This isn’t the LSD post, but a reader might get the effect just trying to navigate the comments- like a contact high.

War sucks. The Vietnam War sucked, this war sucks, collateral damage sucks, little kids bleeding all over the place with their legs blown off by anti-personnel mines left in place sucks.

At least when there were warlords of old, they had the balls to ride in at the head of their army and chance death like the rest of the soldiers. Now we are led by a bunch of gutless, nutless wonders.

And just to be sure everyone knows- this was the LAST reply on the subject at 8:30 ET. Take THAT comment goblin.

• Gwendolyn H. Barry

August 23, 2010 at 11:14 pm

This is a share opinion w/ Mother Hen.

THANK YOU! YES.

shit, did we get that heard? I’m in at 11:14pm

7. A Michael J. Scott

August 23, 2010 at 8:34 pm

ROFLMAO!!!! Gawd I love this job….:-) 🙂

8. fourdinners

August 23, 2010 at 8:52 pm

…or possibly Dinners in Lycra caused a problem?…;-)

9. osori

August 24, 2010 at 1:02 am

Mike,
    Those evil NVA fought back like one would expect anyone whose country is invaded to fight back. Of course they wanted to hurt Americans. We invaded their country.

They should have just sat back and allowed themselves to be bombed?

Why did Ike cancel the elections? Because Ho would have won. We set up our own dictatorship in the South with French collaborators and Catholics and with our guy leading them who’d been hiding out in New Jersey during WWll while Ho fought.

I don’t understand why you believe the US can invade and bomb nations at will without consequences. When a war of aggression is launched the nation under attack has every right to defend ourselves.

Yeah the US troops hated it, but not as much as the Vietnamese hated being bombed and herded into free-fire zones.

Pointing out the most powerful military in the world should abide by international law does not make me a traitor.