Study: Men dirtier than women?

About Michael John Scott
Mr. Scott is a political junkie, and animal lover. He is also a U.S. Army veteran, career law enforcement executive and university professor. In addition he happens to own MadMikesAmerica which means he can write anything he wants, and often does.
View all posts by Michael John Scott →

The good news: 96% of adults claim they always wash their hands in public restrooms, according to a phone survey. The bad news: only 85% of adults actually do, a new observational study finds. Despite the dirty people who are lying about their hygiene habits (and, perhaps, sharing a bread basket with you at dinner), the number of hand-washers is the highest it’s been since 1996 when the study started, USA Today reports.

And if you’re sharing that bread basket with a woman, you can be even less worried: 93% of them washed their hands, compared to only 77% of men. For more hygiene-related news, click here. For another reason to wash those hands, click here.

Study: Men dirtier than women?

Posted by on September 14, 2010. Filed under CRITTER TALK. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

11 Responses to Study: Men dirtier than women?

1. A Michael J. Scott Reply

September 14, 2010 at 10:46 am

Sometimes I think I wash my hands too often. I even have one of those little bottles of purex.

2. Mother Hen Reply

September 14, 2010 at 11:11 am

Whenever I read about superbugs, bedbugs, children or buttholes I feel the need to wash my hands too. They are red and raw pretty (my hands, not my children or butthole) frequently- but I am not sick…yet.

3. Will "take no prisoners" Hart Reply

September 14, 2010 at 11:31 am

I have a theory about this, Mike. Maybe since there are more women in the health care professions (i.e., they’re possibly more well versed on infection control, etc.), they’re a little more astute about hand-washing. Maybe?

• A Michael J. Scott Reply

September 14, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Will that is a great theory and I have dropped it here and there, with attribution of course.

4. osori Reply

September 14, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I always assumed women were far cleaner than men, and in general I think they are cleaner than us, but working as a janitor in a large dept store – the truly unspeakable bathroom and dressing room cleanups were generally from the women.this was an “upscale” dept store.

• A Michael J. Scott Reply

September 14, 2010 at 12:39 pm

That’s interesting O-man. I have always been under the impression that we’re pretty much the same and your observations certainly confirm that, and then some for the “ladies.” :-)

5. Sue Reply

September 14, 2010 at 1:13 pm

My hands are constantly in water. The 93% of women who wash after bathroom use is actually disgusting, it should be 100%! Men are dirty and they don’t even care! When my hands need washed they feel hot, is that my OCD or normal?? Oso, womens public bathrooms are usually dirty and a mess like a tornado went thru!

6. Jess Reply

September 14, 2010 at 2:25 pm

This is why I never touch door handles or toilet handles in public bathrooms. AYUP, I am that OCD person that uses the ass gasket, courtesy of the management doncha know, with some Purell before I even touch the handle. Don’t touch door handles or faucets with my hands EVER, get the ppr towels ready, before I wash my hands, so I can use that to turn off the faucet and touch the handles.

• osori Reply