Jess likes the glorious voice of Dusty Springfield

Mary Isabel/Isobel Catherine Bernadette O’Brien, (16 April 1939 – 2 March 1999), known professionally as Dusty Springfield, was a British singer whose career extended from the late 1950s to the 1990s. She is best known for her work during the 1960s, when she released singles such as “I Only Want To Be With You” (1963), “You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me” (1966) and “Son of a Preacher Man” (1968), and her most acclaimed album Dusty in Memphis (1969). With her distinctive sensual sound, she is an important white soul singer, and at her peak was one of the most successful British female performers, with 18 singles in the Billboard Hot 100 from 1964 to 1970. Her image, supported by a peroxide blonde beehive hairstyle, evening gowns, and heavy make-up, made her an icon of the Swinging Sixties.

Copyright 2010 MadMikesAmerica
Posted by on September 18, 2010. Filed under Commentary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

12 Responses to Jess likes the glorious voice of Dusty Springfield

1. Jess

September 18, 2010 at 10:41 am

AW man, I have been singing this song for days since I caught the earworm and was trying to get rid of it. I used this version hoping it would go away. NOPE, I went and listened to all kinds of people singing it, to get Sting’s voice out of my head. It’s a great song.

• Holte Ender

September 18, 2010 at 10:53 am

She had a voice that will never age or date, simply gorgeous.

2. osori

September 18, 2010 at 11:10 am

I always loved her voice.”I only want to be with you” was always a favorite.

I remember a probably baseless rumor that she had been the singer for The Springfields and “Silver threads and golden needles” which would be a good story so I’m gonna stick with believing it.

• Holte Ender

September 18, 2010 at 11:22 am

She was the lead singer for the Springfields, before she went solo.

• osori

September 18, 2010 at 11:42 am

Thanks Holte! So sometimes those stories we want to believe are true, really are true!

So now there’s hope that there really are intelligent life forms flying in the UFO’s that get reported, all the Christian dogma is factual and politicians promises from now on are gonna be kept!

OK maybe I’m getting a little carried away now.

• Holte Ender

September 18, 2010 at 11:48 am

Yes you are.

• Jess

September 18, 2010 at 11:52 am

You forgot the most important one. Next month you are going to France and will be seated next to the lovely Sophie, who gets into conversation with you and decides she wants you to move in with her. I am saying how sorry I am, up front for the earworm on this one. I’m not really sorry, I’m just saying it up front 🙂 Hey, if I have Windmills in my ear for the last few days, I need to pass on a new one to everyone else. It’s like a bad chain letter.

• osori

September 18, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Jess,
            Thank you! That is funny and really sweet too.You know I was looking at some pics of her last night.I was looking for a video to post, and had looked at bagpipe music which I’ve always loved, and that led me to Braveheart which led me to a Sophie Marceau montage!
            The France trip is now in the official mental planning stages.I will share or even hand over the two tiny bags of peanuts the stewardess gives me and casually mention marriage and then laugh in French.
            I don’t speak French, but I can do that French laugh at world class level!

• Jess

September 18, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Over Labor day, hubby and I went with our Scottish friends to the Higland games thing there at Pleasanton fairgrounds. It was great, Bagpiper bands walking around the place and playing all kinds of things. Saw the Queen of Scotland’s court set up by actors and a Roman thing with the senators and stuff. It was pretty cool and only 18 bucks for the admission. They had sheepdog trials, I hung out there for a long time, the telephone pole tossing, dancing, bands all kinds of things to entertain you. I guess they have it every year, but this is the first I had heard of it. The food too, OMG so much food and things to buy in the little venues they had.

3. Jess

September 18, 2010 at 2:08 pm

No bagpipe music Oso, but pretty good tunes all the same. ENJOY my friend and try not to have a heart attack, I hear they can kill you dead ;).

• osori

September 18, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Thank you Jess!

You know at 28 seconds is my absolute favorite pic of her. Shakira is way too young and Lady G is even more way too young plus meat-based wardrobes are not easy to maintain. Can you imagine the dry-cleaning bill?

So it’s Sophie all the way, maybe next year we’ll run into you guys at the Highland Games.

4. Will "take no prisoners" Hart

September 19, 2010 at 12:26 am

H. E., give a listen to Tift Merrit’s 2004 release, “Tambourine”. If you love Dusty Springfield, you’ll totally love Tift Merrit.