Stephen Hawking: Universe didn’t need God to begin

The universe didn’t need God to begin; it was quite capable of launching its existence on its own, thank you very much, says renowned physicist Stephen Hawking. The universe began with the Big Bang, which simply followed the inevitable law of physics, the scientist writes. “Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist,” Hawking explains in an excerpt from his new book, The Grand Design.

“It is not necessary to invoke God to set the universe going.” In his famous 1988 book, A Brief History of Time, Hawking did not dismiss the possibility that God may have played some role in creation. But earlier this summer he said in an interview that he does not believe in a “personal” God, reports the Telegraph. “The question is: is the way the universe began chosen by God for reasons we can’t understand, or was it determined by a law of science? I believe the second,” he explained. “If you like, you can call the laws of science ‘God,’ but it wouldn’t be a personal God that you could meet, and ask questions.”

Enhanced by Zemanta
Copyright 2010 MadMikesAmerica
Posted by on September 2, 2010. Filed under Commentary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

11 Responses to Stephen Hawking: Universe didn’t need God to begin

1. Gwendolyn H. Barry

September 2, 2010 at 9:12 am

The implication of “it” “choose” is one of separate or independent consciousness…. just saying…. don’t bite me! 🙂

Read ‘nutshell’…. follow up! re: consciousness.

• The Lawyer

September 2, 2010 at 11:01 am

Hawking is the same guy that says we need to start boarding spaceships and get out of here pretty soon, too. Now, I can agree about there not being a personal God. But I don’t buy the theory that this is all just a big coincidence. That has never set right with me, because it defies logic. To believe that we are nothing more than matter requires a few miracles, one of those being when matter became conscious, or to put another way, when dust became life. Go ahead and bite me as hard as you want.

• Gwendolyn H. Barry

September 2, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Collin, I’m in the midst of writing an article for print on sub-atomic particle and the nature of consciousness. But that’s a big part of my gig. You know, as in the ‘dance of Shiva becomes the motion of the electron particle’? Hawking searches for the eternal Spirit in the “fabric of space and time” in his last book. The connectivity between quantum physics and our conscious awareness is cutting edge science and implicates the true ‘dynamics of eternity’ that humanity has chased through history in the ‘face of god’. and i do go on….
        I sure do feel ya there with the non personal resonance.

• Krell

September 2, 2010 at 3:48 pm

“The Dancing Wu Li Masters” by Gary Zukav and also the “Tao of Physics” goes into that concept, Gwen. I preferred the Tao but that just how I ride…

Quantum Entanglement is one of the great mysteries of the Universe and if there was one scientific discovery that would produce a “We are more than just stuff” belief, this would be the one for me.

• Gwendolyn H. Barry

September 2, 2010 at 10:48 pm

David! I should have guessed you would respond to my Capra trap. I found that my freshman year of college. Gods did think it (and still do) the answer to so much … it has molded much of my pathwork in life… Capra and Campbell. 🙂

• Krell

September 2, 2010 at 11:33 pm

LOL! Yes, but does the cat live or die? That’s what I want to know.

• Gwendolyn H. Barry

September 3, 2010 at 11:08 am

Silly Rabbit… cats have 9 (count ’em) lives! You live! Live! LIVE!

2. Holte Ender

September 2, 2010 at 6:50 pm

The life and death of puny planet Earth is just a nano-second in the life of the Cosmos.

3. fourdinners

September 2, 2010 at 7:35 pm

I can’t really take a guy in a wheelchair seriously…ok…I’m wheelchairphobic then….Like I give a fuck?

If he didn’t sound like a Dalek I’d listen but sadly he does.

He’s probably right incidentally but it matters not.

We are undoubtedly fucked anyroad so charge up your wheelchair and fly mate….or you’re fucked along with us…

• Gwendolyn H. Barry

September 3, 2010 at 11:10 am

4D, always so charmed, you’re always so erudite!
      Have a very silly weekend, dude! Hope you enjoy.

4. SagaciousHillbilly

September 3, 2010 at 10:45 am

Well what a surprise!
    I’ll bet the xtians are stunned!