Senseless acts of beauty

Writer Anne Herbert is said to have written “Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty” on a place mat at a Sausalito, California restaurant in 1982. The place mat was found, bumper stickers with the quote followed and communities and radio stations encouraged “Random Acts of Kindness”. A movie “Pay it Forward” had kindness as it’s theme. Herbert’s simple words were exploited for the good, in the American way, commercially. But not enough people get it. As the country wrestles with the senseless act of violence committed in Tuscon last week, the blame game is in full swing, anger and denials from both sides. Pretty soon hings will settle down, until the next atrocity.

In this face off between left and right, one side should blink. Buddha, Jesus, Gandhi, Martin Luther King, all say one thing in common: be gentle to one another, be respectful, be compassionate. For the media and politicians to keep feeding people’s fear creates a society of unlimited potential for violence. It is up to us to yank out the weeds of anger and start cultivating more beauty in our lives, no matter how senseless.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle – Plato

senseless beauty tunnel kindnessA tunnel of love, or a dark scary passage, it’s up to you

Copyright 2011 MadMikesAmerica
Posted by on January 12, 2011. Filed under Commentary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

11 Responses to Senseless acts of beauty

1. A Michael J. Scott

January 12, 2011 at 12:29 pm

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle” โ€“ Plato

• Holte Ender

January 12, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Everybody’s got a story that will break your heart. Everybody.

2. Dusty Taylor

January 12, 2011 at 12:48 pm

This made me tear up Holte, thank you for this breath of fresh air. BTW, its Pay it Forward. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Holte Ender

January 12, 2011 at 4:01 pm

You’re as big a softy as I am.

• Dusty

January 12, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Yes I am. Most people just see the crass, abrasive bitch but I do have another side. Just ask all the damn cats we rescue here in the ‘hood’.

3. Jess

January 12, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Does it count if you practice sensless acts of beauty, just by waking up in the morning and being me ๐Ÿ˜‰ Well, of course, you guys cannot all be me, only I can be me. You know what I mean though.

I think it was Gandhi said, “in a gentle way you can shake the world” Way better than being mean and nasty and hate filled is my opinion. Lovely arbor thing that would be covered all the way, were it mine, for a secret place.

• Holte Ender

January 12, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Welcome back Jess, hope you had a good relax.

If all the nasty bumholes in the world could be ‘you’ it would be a better place, the trouble is, they are them.

• Jess

January 12, 2011 at 5:46 pm

It was great. I got all my sun worship in till spring or a sun day skiing, whichever comes first. Did a couple days stint at a donkey rescue, clearing out their stables and helping clean them up. Looked into adopting a child from an orphanage there, since we can’t get pregnant to save our lives and nothing is happening with our application here ๐Ÿ™ It was such a nice time, being away from all the phones and the noise and computers, basically the world. Hubby had to leave a week into it, but I was able to stay till yesterday, since school doesn’t start back for me till next Tuesday.

Had Christmas Jan 6th, the way it’s done in Mexico, so I got more loot ๐Ÿ™‚ Got through the Pride and Prejudice zombie book, started in on Abraham Lincoln vampire hunter and Mark Twain’s bio. I’ll have to come back to the latter, because I ordered that WWZ book MH and some others were talking about and I have that open to read. I forget what it’s called though, the Christmas on Jan 6th. Maybe virtual papi can let us know.

4. Holte Ender

January 12, 2011 at 6:45 pm

The Kings Day, or I knew it as the Epiphany the 12th day of Christmas, the day the Wise Men came to visit.

Glad you had fun and sun. Some kid will be lucky to get you as a mom.

• Jess

January 12, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Yeah I remember Epiphany is January 6th, so you’re probably right with the King’s day. It was funny, I got the figurine when I bit into my piece of the cake at dinner that night, so it was a big laugh, who would I be giving it to, since I won’t be stepping foot into a church anytime soon. Had to give it to hubby. I just hope my yet to be here kid/s, feel the same way about me being a mom. Well till the teenage years at least right ๐Ÿ™‚

5. John Myste

January 12, 2011 at 8:30 pm

“In this face off between left and right, one side should blink.”

I completely agree. It reminds me of the old feuds, the Hatfieldโ€™s and McCoyโ€™s. We will determine whether you are right or wrong, which is to say, good or evil, as soon as we know where your loyalties lie: with us or the enemy?