- CRITTER TALK
The Catholic church is scrambling to continue “the works of Jesus Christ” and to make his name “known and loved.”
When it comes to the Catholic Church, however, “loved” takes on many meanings, especially when it comes to the thousands of children its hypocritical priests have sexually abused, some of which were driven to suicide, with others tormented for a lifetime with the memories of the horror perpetrated on them by these “representatives of Christ on earth.”
As it turns out, however, the criminal justice system is determined to make things right. They are determined to do what the Vatican has failed to do and that is to jail the white-collared destroyers of innocent young lives.
Here is the story from CNN’s Belief Blog:
The Catholic Church in Philadelphia will investigate as many as 37 priests identified in a grand jury report as remaining in “active ministry with credible allegations of child sexual abuse,” Cardinal Justin Rigali, archbishop of Philadelphia, said Wednesday.
“Sexual abuse of children is a crime. It is always wrong and gravely evil,” Rigali said in a news release. “The grand jury report makes clear that for as much as the archdiocese has done to address child sexual abuse, there is still much to do.”
He also announced that three priests were placed on administrative leave pending a review.
“The actions we announce today build on the changes that the church has already announced,” Rigali said.
He noted the church had already hired a victim services consultant and a compliance officer, and created a new position of delegate for investigations to assist with the review.
“Many people of faith and in the community at large think that the archdiocese does not understand the gravity of child sexual abuse,” Rigali said. “We do.”
Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams on Wednesday lauded the church announcement.
“I commend Cardinal Rigali and the archdiocese for this latest action,” Williams said. “The cardinal’s strong words and recent efforts are the correct steps at this time.”
Last week, three Philadelphia priests and a parochial school teacher were charged with raping and assaulting boys in their care, while a former official with the Philadelphia Archdiocese was accused of allowing the abusive priests to have access to children, the city’s district attorney’s office said.
CNN Senior Vatican Analyst John Allen said the charges against the former church official appeared to be unprecedented and could have national implications.
“This is apparently the first time that a Catholic leader has been charged criminally for the cover-up as opposed to the abuse itself,” he said. “It sends a shot across the bow for bishops and other diocesan officials in other parts of the country, who have to wonder now if they’ve got criminal exposure, too.”
Edward Avery, 68, and Charles Engelhardt, 64, were charged with allegedly assaulting a 10-year-old boy at St. Jerome Parish from 1998 to 1999.
Bernard Shero, 48, a teacher in the school, is charged with allegedly assaulting the same boy there in 2000, Williams said at a Thursday press conference.
James Brennan, another priest, is accused of assaulting a different boy, a 14-year-old, in 1996.
Monsignor William Lynn, who served as the secretary for clergy for the under then-Philadelphia Archbishop Anthony Bevilacqua, was charged with two counts of endangering the welfare of a child in connection with the alleged assaults, Williams said.
From 1992 until 2004, Lynn was responsible for investigating reports that priests had sexually abused children, the district attorney’s office said.
The grand jury found that Lynn, 60, endangered children, including the alleged victims of those charged last week, by knowingly allowing dangerous priests to continue in the ministry in roles in which they had access to kids.
“This behavior will not be tolerated – ultimately they will be judged by a higher authority,” Williams said. “We want to ensure that all victims of abuse can call us directly and don’t have to filter their story with anyone else.”
Avery, Engelhardt and Shero were charged with rape, indecent sexual assault and other criminal counts following the results of the grand jury investigation of clergy sexual abuse, Williams said. The names of the alleged victims, who are now in their 20s, have not been publicly released.
The grand jury believed that more than 30 priests have remained in ministry in Pennsylvania despite solid, credible allegations of abuse, Williams said.
Rigali had initially challenged that claim.
– CNN’s Sarah Hoye contributed to this report