SlutWalks coming to America

It all started with some ill-considered advice from a Toronto policeman. To prevent rape, he told a group of law students, “Avoid dressing like sluts.” That gaffe sparked a head-turning wave of protests dubbed “SlutWalks” in cities across Canada, in which women—some dressed in plain old jeans and t-shirts, others showing more skin than is practical in Canada—took to the streets to decry victim-blaming and slut-shaming.

“We had just had enough,” says Heather Jarvis, founder of SlutWalk Toronto. Now, the Huffington Post reports, the phenomenon has gone global, spreading virally to Europe, Asia, Australia, and the US. Most major US cities have or will have SlutWalks—Boston, Dallas, Hartford, Asheville, and Rochester will hold walks between now and May 7. “It isn’t about just one idea or one police officer,” says Jarvis. “It’s about changing the system.”

Enhanced by Zemanta
Copyright 2011 MadMikesAmerica
Posted by on April 22, 2011. Filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

6 Responses to SlutWalks coming to America

1. Jess

April 22, 2011 at 9:36 am

I loves the menz, but sometimes they just don’t get it, my own included in this. Jess, you’re not wearing that going out are you someone might look and say something. *sigh* It’s an engrained thing, with some men/ even women, that it must have been what she was wearing that just made the man go crazy and he had to, just had to, rape/attack/victimise her. We women should be able to walk around butt nekkid if we choose to and nothing, NOTHING should happen to us. Rape is not about sex, never has been it’s about power and control, I just wish more men would get that.

• dp1053

April 22, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Absolutely correct. And blaming the victim is absolving the criminal. IF it is true that the guys just can’t help themselves, then it isn’t saying much for you guys, makes you out to be no better than a wild animal in rutting season. SO, since we all know that can’t be the case, then it must not be about the sex, but about victimizing, humiliation and dominance.

2. jenny40

April 22, 2011 at 3:00 pm

This story really makes me mad, because I like to dress up and go out dancing, but that doesn’t mean I want to fuck anybody. I just want to have fun.

• Jess

April 22, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Best place and I am not kidding here, if you just want to go all out and not be aggravated, gay bars. I did that all the time before I met hubby, because I knew I wouldn’t get hit on and they always have the best dance music too so there is that 🙂

3. SagaciousHillbilly

April 23, 2011 at 8:44 am

The bottom line is always sexual oppression in conditions like this.
    We live in a sexually oppressed society. If nudity and sexual expression were more the norm, a lot of the harassment, molestation, etc. would go away.
    Most of the psychos running around are f’ed up because of our oppressed society and the twisted ideas they grow up with.

4. lazersedge

April 23, 2011 at 9:59 am

I have been teaching for more than 40 years that rape has little to do with sex. It is all about power and domination over another person. Sex is just part of the humiliation and violence use to accomplish that end. Most often it is committed by a male who is less than secure in his ability to control his own life so it becomes about controlling another human being. Another issue is that of men who are not comfortable around women and somehow blame all women for one bad encounter with a female.
    My personal theory follows somewhat along with Hillbilly. Society puts such an emphasis on the oppression of sex and nudity that it causes tremendous internal conflicts with some people, especially men. Of course it doesn’t help that the the religions of the world, for the most part, have viewed women as property to be used and abused as men saw fit.