About Collin Hinds
Senior Writer and editor.
View all posts by Collin Hinds →

Draconian judge sentenced mother of four to twelve years in prison for selling a small quantity of marijuana

Once in 2009, and a second time in 2010, Patricia Spottedcrow, 26, sold $31 total worth of marijuana to a police informant, and was arrested.

In June 2010, Spottedcrow, represented by an attorney who no longer practices law, entered a blind plea to Judge Pritchett in Kingfisher County, Oklahoma.  A blind plea is a plea made directly to the judge and without a recommendation, or despite the recommendation for a sentence from the prosecution.  It is considered a last ditch effort to enter a plea when the prosecution recommends a sentence that is overly punitive.

Spottedcrow was later sentenced to 12 years in prison and no probation, despite the fact that Spottedcrow had no prior criminal convictions.

Judge Pritchett stated that she imposed the 12 year sentence because there were four children present when the marijuana purchase was made.  Those four children are Spottedcrow’s, ages 10, 5, 3 and 2, who are now being raised by Spottedcrow’s mother, Delita Starr.

Starr was also arrested in connection with the transaction with the informant, and was sentenced to a 30 year suspended sentence (probation).  Starr currently raises and supports her four grandchildren although she makes $800 per month working at a truck stop, and even though she does not have a driver’s license since it was suspended in connection with her plea.

Thankfully Judge Pritchett is retired, and the case is back before the court, and a different judge.  Spottedcrow’s attorney is asking the court to reduce Spottedcrow’s sentence.

In response, prosecutors state that Spottedcrow’s sentence is within the range of punishment allowed under Oklahoma law and should not be modified.

Oklahoma ranks first in the nation for the incarceration of females and fifth for incarcerating males.  There are approximately 24,000 people incarcerated in Oklahoma’s penitentiaries on any given day.  Approximately 51.5% of those inmates are non-violent offenders.

For people like Judge Pritchett, the prosecutors in the case, and many God-fearing, all-American heartlanders, it is a perfectly acceptable practice to destroy countless families by throwing parents in prison for the equivalent of selling $31 worth of a botanical product that grows naturally the globe over.  “If you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime,” they say.

I would say to them, put your hand flat to your sternum, sit quietly, and focus your attention inward.  Do you feel something–anything–going bu-dump, bu-dump in there?

20110322 spottedcrow0312 1 Young woman sentenced to twelve years for selling $31 worth of marijuana in Oklahoma

Patricia Spottedcrow in prison for selling $31 worth of marijuana.

Posted by on August 31, 2011. Filed under Social Issues. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

12 Responses to Young woman sentenced to twelve years for selling $31 worth of marijuana in Oklahoma

1. jenny40 Reply

August 31, 2011 at 9:56 am

It’s this sort of bullshit that keeps our prisons full. Also, and I’m sorry Mr. Hinds, but the more I read about Oklahoma the less I want to live there :-(

• Collin Hinds Reply

August 31, 2011 at 10:02 am

That’s okay, Jenny. If it weren’t for my career and the extended family, I wouldn’t be here. However, growing up Okie does afford one a great opportunity to see up close and contemplate the mental pathology of humanity.

• Carla Mora Reply

September 27, 2012 at 2:10 pm

People need to be educated about nullification. “Just say no”, to bad laws!!!! NH passed a law in June allowing defense to inform the jury of nullification. Check out this article and website, if you don’t already know about it and pass the information along to anyone! First rule, don’t take the plea.

No victim, no crime! This woman is not a criminal!

2. dp1053 Reply

August 31, 2011 at 10:32 am

Couldn’t have anything to do with her being Native American. I wonder what the sentence would have been if she was a nice little white mom from the ‘burbs? So let’s see, this woman is in jail for $31 of pot but I read about some asshole on his 102nd DUI. Truthfully, when was the last time you ever heard about some pot-head in a fight that didn’t involve Oreos? So which is the more dangerous drug? Amazing.

• Holte Ender Reply

August 31, 2011 at 10:44 am

Have to agree with you Deb, this is more about her name being Spottedcrow than anything else. Damn disgrace is what it is.

3. Jess Reply

August 31, 2011 at 11:02 am

Meanwhile we have bankers that have pillaged the world over and NOTHING is happening to them. Are the prisons in OK private? That has lots to do with it too, as far as more butts in the seats if you will. Am I ever glad I have been going to the same 2 people to get my own weed for forever and they trust me.

• jenny40 Reply

August 31, 2011 at 11:40 am

I’m with you Jess. We’re surrounded by REAL criminals and they pick on this poor Indian girl. Racist pigs is what they are…racist pig hypocrites and my apologies to the poor pig.

4. Bradley Scott Reply

August 31, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Yeah, some one is still playing cowboys and indians in OK. Officers of the court, no less. I believe, though I wouldn’t swear to it, that I read somewhere Oklahoma prisons ARE private, Jess, more’s the pity. And OMG, more non-violent offenders incarcerated than violent ones? The system is upside down.

• The Lawyer Reply

September 1, 2011 at 8:07 am

Three Oklahoma prisons are contracted, the rest are state ran.

• Bradley Scott Reply

September 1, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Thanks for the info, counselor.

5. Wendy Addams Reply

September 1, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I’m on the same page with all of you. This disgusted me, but it didn’t surprise me. My mother’s family is from Oklahoma (Adair County), so I have some familiarity with the way things work in the “Sooner State” (note that the name derives from the white land-rush settlers, not the Indian Nations). One of my cousins–also Native American–back there, who has done quite a bit of prison time for drugs, told me that he and his buddies used to travel over the line into Arkansas for their stoner parties because the penalties for narcotics possession in Oklahoma were insanely harsh.

6. Dorothy Anderson Reply

September 1, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I keep reading this post, and think about the time she spent in jail for selling… $31 worth of pot because her four children were there. Of course, we all know she wouldn’t have been arrested at all if she’d drunk a couple of brewskis in front of them.

Here’s the hang-em-high judge: http://public.esquireempire.com/Hon.+Judge+M.+Susie+Pritchett+Associate+District+Judge+Kingfisher+County

Here’s how you can contact Judge Pritchett or whoever took over from her:

Oklahoma Kingfisher County Courthouse
    101 S. Main, Rm. 18
    Kingfisher, OK 73750
    Telephone: (405) 3753869

’nuff said. Here’s a video of the story: http://youtu.be/XuxmtDnbTHQ