13-year old girl attacked by own puppy

About Michael John Scott
Mr. Scott is a political junkie, and animal lover. He is also a U.S. Army veteran, career law enforcement executive and university professor. In addition he happens to own MadMikesAmerica which means he can write anything he wants, and often does.
View all posts by Michael John Scott →

As a long time dog owner and trainer I always get nervous when people insist on putting their faces in my dogs’ faces.  Dogs don’t like that and people shouldn’t do it.  I wish I took my own advice because what happened to this little girl does happen and we just aren’t sure why.

A teenage girl was savagely attacked by her own German Shepherd after the puppy ‘suddenly flipped’, tearing off part of her face.

Iona Manson from Birmingham, needed two hours of facial reconstruction surgery and more than 50 stitches after the mauling, which tore a chunk out of her nose.

girl 13 year old girl attacked by own puppy

And the 13-year-old, who had raised Fidden since he was nine days old, is still mystified why her 13-month-old pet suddenly attacked her.

Remarkably plastic surgeons managed to piece together Iona’s face and today the teenager has barely a scratch to remind of her of the terrifying attack.

But her mother Mhairi Manson, 39, said she was still struggling to sleep after witnessing the ferocious incident.

‘It was horrific,’ said the former ambulance worker. ‘Iona just bent down to give him his plate of food and he just went for her.

‘He just flipped, even afterwards when we put him in a cage he growled and barked angrily every time one of us went near him, something had changed in his mind.

article 2073504 0F28930000000578 579 306x423 13 year old girl attacked by own puppyRecovery: Iona Manson spent three days in hospital after the attack, the 13-year-old is now wary of stranger’s dogs

‘When he got off Iona there was so much blood in Iona’s eyes that she couldn’t see a thing and we were sure the dog had got her eyes.’

Luckily her father, Scott Manson, an army trainee nurse who previously served 18-and-a-half years as a tank commander, was in the living room and heard the dog growl and Iona scream during the attack.

‘I rushed into the kitchen and saw Iona holding her face and screaming as blood poured out,’ said Mr Manson.

‘I grabbed the first thing I could find to dress the wounds and stem the bleeding which, as it happens, was socks from the washing basket.

‘My wife called 999 and shut the dog outside whilst I just went into triage mode to treat my daughter.’

And the family say they have no idea why Fidden, who was later put down, suddenly changed.

Mrs Manson said they also adopted his brother, Bracken, who has never behaved aggressively.

She said: ‘The attack was so vicious, it even traumatised Bracken. He cowered in the corner and wouldn’t come out for days.

‘We’ve had them since they were nine days old, you just do not expect that to happen from a friendly dog.’

Iona spent three days in hospital recovering from the attack.

She said: ‘I don’t remember much which is probably a good thing. I remember Dad telling me to sit up so that he could see my face and then the next thing I can recall is being in the back of the ambulance and looking out of the window.

‘I don’t even remember having a cannula in the back of my hand, and I hate needles.’

article 2073504 0F2892F800000578 234 634x606 13 year old girl attacked by own puppy Today: Iona Manson has made a full recovery and is still close to Fidden’s brother Bracken

Greg Markham, a First Contact Practitioner from West Midlands Ambulance Service, said: ‘We were told by control that it was an animal bite and, to me, it was one of those jobs that could’ve been nothing.

‘When we walked into the house there was too much calm and it was very quiet. As we made our way into the kitchen we found a very calm but shocked Iona with bandages on her face, a lot of blood everywhere.’

‘She’s an extraordinary young girl,’ added Mrs Manson. ‘When she came back from the hospital the first thing she did was go up to the window to go and see our other dog.

‘She’s not so sure about other people’s dogs but she’s not scared, I think the whole thing fazed me more than her.

‘The plastic surgeon has done a brilliant job, you can barely see a scar on here which is amazing considering massive bite she had on her face.’

I would hope that this incident doesn’t cause a rush to judgement against German shepherds.  Any dog, of any breed, is capable of impulsive behavior, and sometimes it can be dangerous behavior.  The fact remains dogs are the most loyal of companions and if treated well they won’t bite you.  I’ve no doubt that this poor young girl was good to her puppy, but something happened to make this dog bite her and we may never know what it was.

MadMike’sAmerica thanks Mail Online for parts of this story.

Follow MadMike’sAmerica on Facebook and Twitter, and don’t forget to visit our HOME PAGE.

Posted by on December 15, 2011. Filed under NEWS. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

35 Responses to 13-year old girl attacked by own puppy

1. Carlita C. Reply

December 15, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I agree with Mike. There’s something more to this story. Still, I feel for the girl and whatever mistake she made with that puppy I doubt she’ll make it again and I’m glad she wasn’t scarred for life.

• bitch for life Reply

January 1, 2012 at 5:19 pm

i am sorry yeah but the dog might have been pushed into rage by summat else and not by the little girl who is only thirteen so dont be so quick to judge she had the dog since it was nine days old so get it right before acting on the facts

January 2, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I suspect the little girl was playing with the dog by putting her face down by the food dish when the dog was eating. Dogs don’t like that and it bit her. Dogs just don’t fly into rages without provocation.

• S Manson Reply

January 4, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Just goes to show how some people believe what they read in the press.
          We had the dog at 7 weeks old, and had been around it since it was hours old.
          She was NOT playing with the the dog by putting her face down at the dish.
          SO UNLESS ALL YOU PEOPLE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED KEEP YOUR ASSUMPTIONS TO YOUR SELVES.

• Anonymous Reply

April 27, 2012 at 11:41 pm

are you ok darilng pretty girl 13 years old

2. Poppy Reply

December 15, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I would suggest something else happened. I can literally take the food out of my dog’s mouth and they will let me as I from the moment I got them made sure I was the lead dog in the pack. I would suggest given the dog’s age it was beginning to test who was the pack leader.

Owners of dogs need to understand how they think and make sure they always recognise the human as the leader of the pack. This is why small children and babies get attacked it is the dogs sorting out the pecking order of the pack. ie Faithful family pet attacks child. (that and the fact that numerous people have animals as defacto children allowing them inside on beds etc and then when the baby arrives suddenly the dog has to stay outside.)

We tend to treat animals as humans and then wonder why they act “out of character” when in reality they are acting totally within character for an animal.

3. Bill Formby Reply

December 15, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Very strange incident, especially for a shepherd. People should understand that some dogs, like most people, have personal zones and they do not like people or even other dogs in their face. They have learn their dog and respect their likes and dislikes.

4. Watever Reply

January 10, 2012 at 7:49 am

I know Iona Manson and she has still got a scar on her face she is doing well but the incident was terrible x

5. So sad. Reply

May 6, 2012 at 10:00 pm

This is sad. But it’s even worse that Fidden was put down. Dogs don’t just attack people for no reason… why don’t people understand that?? It’s all about the language barrier between human and canine. Sadly, most owners are generally inexperienced and are unable to actually communicate with their dog using language that they understand.

6. Jared Reply

May 18, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I’ve allways said that German sheperds are unstable.

• BakersfieldK9 Reply

June 26, 2013 at 6:27 pm

You are clearly without an ounce of dog sense. German shepherds are among the most intelligent, well behaved, loyal dogs in the world. To say they’re unstable makes you a complete idiot.

7. josh Reply

June 3, 2012 at 1:45 pm

another of the zombie theories? man eating man now dog eating girl? hmmm

8. Anonymous Reply

June 21, 2012 at 10:43 pm

bitch shouldnt had the dog in the first place she probly molested the dog and it was trying to get away she got what she deserve

9. Iona Manson Reply

November 21, 2012 at 8:58 am

i am that girl and i wanna say that i got the dog at nine weeks not days and when the dog got put down we found out it had a brain tumor due to a very old mother and a young father the dog was very loyal to me until this happned it was a shock !!!

10. amie Reply

June 25, 2013 at 7:16 am

Iona is in my school and we all know when she is coming cuz the ground shake, her ass is the size of jupitar

11. Iona Manson Reply

June 26, 2013 at 8:04 am

says you, if my arse is the size of jupiter whats yours the atmosphere around it?

12. Anonymous Reply

June 26, 2013 at 5:39 pm

#Jupiter has no relative atmosphere, as it is mostly liquid condensates of light gases. also Jupiter is basically a ball of atmosphere, therefore you statement is irrelevant

• Iona Reply

June 27, 2013 at 4:02 am

Clap clap. Well done! You can do science
      So why don’t you instead off commenting on
      This learn grammar “you comment” in that
      Paragraph didn’t make sense. Yeah f*ck off.

• Anonymous Reply

June 27, 2013 at 9:48 am

my apologies for missing a letter on an overused keyboard :D

13. Iona Reply

June 27, 2013 at 4:08 am

Fact is Fidden I had the dog version of
    Down syndrome-therefore the dog could
    Suddenly flip out.
    He was an extremly reliable dog.
    Especially to me.
    He listned to me more than my family that’s
    Why it was a shock.
    These comments that people have placed is
    Irrelivant.
    We didn’t get them at nine days…please he
    Would probably be dead because we wouldn’t
    Be able to care for him.
    We knew them since they where born but got
    Them at 6 1/2 weeks old. The dog was not molested please stop trying to be funny
    By putting your ten pence in.

14. Anonymous Reply

June 27, 2013 at 9:53 am

BITCH YOU UGLY BUGLY

15. Iona Reply

June 27, 2013 at 9:59 am

Wow was that supposed to hurt? :)

• Anonymous Reply

June 27, 2013 at 1:48 pm

NO IT WAS A COMPLIMENT

16. Iona Reply

June 27, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Lovely compliment.

17. Iona Reply

June 28, 2013 at 2:14 am

18. Anonymous Reply

June 28, 2013 at 3:44 am

i don’t wanna live on this planet anymore

19. Iona Reply

June 28, 2013 at 11:04 am

Errm bit extreme

20. Anonymous Reply

June 29, 2013 at 7:34 am

it rahhh ent

21. john Reply

July 27, 2013 at 9:42 pm

German shephed are the most dangerous dogs I had one since he was 6 weeks old nd was meanis fck he knew all of family nd one he bite my cousin nd he knew her since I got him nd he started to try to bite my dad nd my hole family for notin nd I seen a german shepherd allmost kill a lil boy nd they did not on the new but they allways put pitbull for attackin anything a dumb ass cat any dog can turn on it owner

July 28, 2013 at 8:24 am

German shepherds aren’t dangerous at all. The owners forge a dog’s personality and no dog is born bad.

22. Iona Manson Reply

July 28, 2013 at 9:08 am

Actually they can like the dog that attacked me, he had the equivelent of down syndrome in dogs.
    To be honest and you may not like this but I don’t care what happned to you. I have enough shit from this dog attack to care what happend to others especially with that spellings.German Shepards are not viscious dogs and that’s coming from a girl who got attacked by one. The dog just wasn’t right and it didn’t help having a 13 year old mother and 11 month old father that was why it was mentally ill. So please stopp the commenting because this story has been so twisted its unreal to its Biased to comment on it unless you know me or the real story.

• John Cox Reply

August 5, 2013 at 4:35 am

You were very brave Iona, and far more intelligent than the fools who are criticising you or making assumptions. Well done, and good luck for the future.

23. Ali Reply

August 16, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Pitbulls, rotweilers, and german shepards can be really vicious! (Lol theyre all german dogs!) But wow her face looks.. wow! Ouch! And really gross! Over 50 stitches.

August 17, 2013 at 10:47 am

Dogs are only vicious if trained to be so. They, like people, aren’t born bad, they’re made bad by feckless owners.

24. dave Reply

September 18, 2014 at 8:56 pm

She makes a good point

1. Dogs do get illnesses like us, and that can alter mood.

2. Dogs generally won’t act out UNLESS. A. They have been trained that way. B. They are loyal to one and not to another. C They feel you are trying to push in on their food D. You are nasty to them.

Karma is a bitch at the end of the day, and anyone who HURTS a dog will get their due at some point.

I don’t say this girl hurt this dog, as i don’t know her and wasn’t there.

Its done now. Leave her be.