Keith Olbermann never voted a day in his life

About Erin Nanasi
Erin Nanasi is an avid underwater basket weaver, with a penchant for satire and the odd wombat reference.
View all posts by Erin Nanasi →

Keith Olbermann is having problems at his new home for “Countdown with Keith Olbermann”.

Olbermann’s latest battle with his employer (he had a huge row with MSNBC that resulted in his “you can’t fire me, I quit” moment) stems from KO’s unwillingness to cover the Republican primaries.

Olbermann’s absence from that coverage has been conspicuous, and on Wednesday of last week, he fired off a statement to the Hollywood Reporter about why he, the face of Current TV, has not been leading its coverage, especially when the Iowa caucuses occurred on Tuesday, according to the Huffington Post.

“I was not given a legitimate opportunity to host under acceptable conditions,” he said of that event. “They know it, and we know it. Telling half the story is wrong.”

In a memo to Countdown staff, Current TV president, David Bohrman contended that Olbermann had declined to host Tuesday’s coverage, even though he had Tweeted that he was “headed into the office” to anchor the night.]

I used to adore Keith Olbermann. I rallied behind him when he went through the troubles at MSNBC, signed petitions, called the powers that be at MSNBC. I thought Keith was amazing. Then I listened to he and Michael Moore, two millionaires who have not jumped on the Patriotic Millionaire’s wagon, lie about President Obama. When I found out Olbermann has never voted in his life, that was it. I was done. I don’t care if fire baggers think he is the second coming, if you don’t vote, you don’t get an opinion.

The video below is a very funny parody of KO by Ben Affleck. It’s almost too close for comfort:

Posted by on January 8, 2012. Filed under COMMENTARY/OPINION. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

6 Responses to Keith Olbermann never voted a day in his life

1. Cayo Bo Reply

January 8, 2012 at 1:47 pm

“…if you don’t vote, you don’t get an opinion.”

Can you show me that in the Constitution?

• Erin N. Reply

January 8, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Sigh. If you don’t have a vested interest in the well being of America, and show that by NOT voting, I think it is extremely disingenuous to scream and pout and beat your chest about politics. Nice red herring, though.

2. John Myste Reply

January 10, 2012 at 3:05 pm

An individual casting his vote does not change the outcome of an election. Therefore, for an individual, it is a symbolic act. Groups elect presidents. No individual does. You are saying that if KO does not spend time on an inconsequential act, he is not interested and should be treated as if he is not. Clearly, however, his interest in the process is well-known. Clearly, you are patently mistaken.

The election will go exactly as it will, with or without my vote. Therefore, you are arguing that if I fail to take real time out of my schedule to do something that will not elect anyone, I am not entitled to speak about a topic.

You are not a member of the AMA, so I suppose you have no right to an opinion about euthanasia. Also, don’t ever speak of the Palestinian Conflict, as you don’t vote in Middle East and therefore have no right to air an opinion, by your own admission.

Since you do not vote in New York if you are not a citizen of New York, you are not entitled to an opinion about whether rounding up the homeless and incarcerating them is just or unjust.

Since you are probably not a citizen of Dallas, you cannot have an opinion about whether it is fair to increase independent school taxes to match the average state tax rate there. You don’t vote there. Your opinion is unwelcome.

And while you are at it, though you have voted, you have never changed the outcome of an election. KO, may well have changed elections with his contributions. He definitely changed the face of liberal politics with his contributions. Your contributions are noted by no one because in the context of things, they are not noteworthy. When you have made a contribution that comes close to that of KO, then I will consider your disregard of his efforts more valid, but not until then.

Since you are not voting on KO’s right to make a contribution, you have no voice and no right to an opinion. That’s how it works, right? We should silence anyone who do not conduct their political interests in the way we foreordain, right?

• Anonymous Reply

January 11, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I think KO has done more to influence others and impact politics in America by expressing his opinions than any individuals vote. So, I think you are the one jangling the red herring.

Now, if he has done NOTHING at all to impact political discourse in America, AND never voted, and then suddenly started to complain, well then I would say you have a point.

• Bob Keller Reply

January 11, 2012 at 6:43 pm

John Myste – Can I count on your NOT VOTING in the next election?

• John Myste Reply

January 11, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Can’t not do it, Mr. Keller. It wouldn’t be right to disenfranchise myself.