UPDATED: We Are Woman National March

About Erin Nanasi
Erin Nanasi is an avid underwater basket weaver, with a penchant for satire and the odd wombat reference.
View all posts by Erin Nanasi →

SuccessfulWomen1 UPDATED: We Are Woman National March

On February 16th, 2012, I made a video for Mad Mike’s America titled “We Are Warriors.” I was angry and frustrated and wanted to see if other people felt the same about the new GOP war on women. In the video, I said it was time to march on Washington, DC.

The next day, my friend, Kim and I came up with the name We Are Woman. It was a strange combination of the “We are Legion” slogan and “I am Woman” by Helen Reddy. I found gifted and talented people to work with, and we began planning a national march on Washington, DC for April 28th. I would like to mention that on February 17th, April 28th seemed farther away than it actually was.

Due to the overwhelming response, we are very proud to announce the following changes to the We Are Woman March on Washington, DC:

* We want April 28th to be about the state marches, and do not want to distract from those events. Therefore, we are very pleased to share the new date for the We Are Woman March on Washington, DC, September 16th, 2012. September 16th is also National Women’s Friendship Day, and we couldn’t think of a better way to show the friendship and solidarity that all Americans share than by standing together against the new GOP war on women.

* As you have noticed, we are going back to our original name. We received so much positive feedback regarding We Are Woman; people loved the idea of one woman, one message and of course, the tip of the hat to Helen Reddy. We believe that by going back to the original name, we are also going back to the original message.

* Marching in September also puts us in Washington, DC closer to Election Day. For our message to be heard, we need it to be remembered in November.

The change in dates gives us six months to promote the We Are Woman March, invite dignitaries to volunteer their time and speak, organize our hundreds of volunteers and secure our permits. After what happened recently in Virginia, it is obvious that not having a permit can result in numerous arrests. Is that right? No, of course not, especially because the We Are Woman march is addressing Congress with our grievances, an act explicitly covered in the Constitution. But we’re not taking any chances.

We want to thank everyone who has contacted us over the past 3 weeks, and all our volunteers. We want to thank Mad Mike’s America, the Huffington Post and all other media organizations who are sharing our march.

If we allow the GOP to bulldoze one group, they’ll never stop. This is not just a war on women, it’s a war on everyone who doesn’t fit the narrow description of what an American “should” be: white, Christian, heterosexual, conservative and male. Yes, we’re called the We Are Woman march, but we are not just fighting the war on women. We’re fighting a war that will, if allowed, eventually destroy every minority in this amazing country.

September 16th, 2012. National Women’s Friendship Day and the day the We Are Woman March on Washington, DC will prove, once and for all, that we do not need to conform to the GOP’s version of America in order to BE Americans. Men, women, straight, bi, gay, trans, black, white, Democrat and Republican-we will all suffer if we do not stand shoulder to shoulder and shout “No more!”

Follow MadMike’sAmerica on Facebook and Twitter and don’t forget to visit our HOME PAGE .  Did you “LIKE” this story?  If so please tell us by clicking the “LIKE” button just below this post.

UPDATED: We Are Woman National March
Posted by on March 6, 2012. Filed under COMMENTARY/OPINION. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

12 Responses to UPDATED: We Are Woman National March

1. Bill Formby Reply

March 6, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Erin, as I said before, I wish you and your group all the best in your quest. I think the idea is great and will be a great statement on the the rightful place of women in society today. If I can do anything to help promote your cause and event please let me know.

• Erin Nanasi Reply

March 6, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Bill, thanks! I will definitely keep your offer in mind.

2. Katie Maxwell Reply

March 6, 2012 at 3:12 pm

My husband and I will be attending both marches now! The one in NC on the 28th, and the one in DC on the 16th. Thank you, Erin, for everything you are doing :-)

• Erin Nanasi Reply

March 6, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Katie-Wonderful! We’re marching on the 28th in MN, and then in September. Can’t wait to see you :)

3. SueBee Reply

March 6, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Great idea for this march Erin! Thank you for stepping up and I hope you hear from Gloria Steinem. The dates on the Fb page may be confusing since it shows 2 dates for DC marches. I assume one is the “state” march but if we want to get huge numbers in Sept, it might be good to clarify, especially for those of us who have to get those ever pricey plane tickets.. Let’s go! Thank you for all you do!

• Erin Nanasi Reply

March 7, 2012 at 8:14 am

You read our (the team’s) mind! We’re getting the message out, our graphic artist has created stunning new artwork and the response we’ve received has been overwhelmingly positive. AND we’re contacting Ms. Steinem’s office again today, hoping a later date will enable her to attend and volunteer her talent and motivation.

4. Dent Reply

March 7, 2012 at 7:08 am

Erin,
    Your video moved me to angry tears. Thank you for starting a rally cry.
    I am a man who will march with you.
    And know that there are millions of us who will do the same.
    The time has come!
    Bless you.

5. Marian Raab Reply

March 7, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I was really upset to hear the date changed so fast with no discussion or input from the volunteers like myself who have adjusted our schedules (and in my case even made hotel reservations) to be in Washington, D.C. on April 28. My first reaction was to stay quiet and not complain, but Sept. 16 is a really poor choice of dates for soooo many reasons. Here’s why:

1. Rosh Hashanah begins at sundown that evening. This is one of the most holy and important of Jewish holidays (talking about “minorities in this amazing country”). Holding this march on Sept. 16 means the loss of a number of volunteers (such as myself) AND potential march attendees b/c even the very liberal and mostly unobservant Jews in the U.S. observe Rosh Hashanah. I realize you probably didn’t realize this when choosing this date, but it smacks of insensitivity to Jewish women and men who want to attend and volunteer for this movement.

2. This part of September will make it hard to organize college campuses (b/c many colleges will be just a month or less in their fall semesters) and college campuses are likely to send LOTS and LOTS of protesters to something like this. This is why nearly all of national pro-choice rallies have been held in D.C. in the spring, going back in my memory to 1992.

3. It makes this movement look chaotic and disorganized. Half of the stuff still on the Web uses the art with just the April 28 date, like when someone reposts the blogspot link on Facebook (which I just did to alert all of the friends and neighbors and family I told about the rally who had already started booking airline flights; hotel rooms; organizing car pools; babysitting, etc. etc. etc

I really wish that more foresight and thought had been put into this change.

6. Beth Corbin Reply

March 8, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I will be at both the Maryland and DC marches. I’ve participated in march organizing in the past, so let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

7. Pingback: “The Southernization of America” – 2012 Progressive Democrats of America (PDA) stand up and shout on a corner in Winslow, Arizona: “We’re going to fight the Evil ALEC Crow Laws patterned after Jim Crow Laws” – ALEC Crow Laws

8. Pingback: 2012 Progressive Democrats of America plan human dignity strategy in Winslow, Arizona: Progressive political writer John Nichols about the evils of the ALEC Laws spawned by the spurious American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) | Claiming A Street Name