Senator Lies About Wolf Sightings To Strip Them of Federal Protection

About Michael Scott
Mr. Scott is a political junkie, and animal lover. He is also a U.S. Army veteran, career law enforcement executive and university professor. In addition he happens to own MadMikesAmerica which means he can write anything he wants, and often does.
View all posts by Michael Scott →

A Michigan senator, desperate to strip wolves of endangered species protection, lied about wolf sightings.

Sen. Tom Casperson, R-Escanaba, apologized Thursday for putting false information about the sighting of wolves outside a day care center in his resolution urging Congress to strip gray wolves of endangered species protections.  He acknowledged the story he told was pure fiction.

“I was mistaken, I am accountable, and I am sorry,” Casperson said. “Words matter. Accuracy matters. Especially here, with a topic that is so emotional and is so important to so many, especially those whose way of life is being changed in my district.”

According to MLive.com, an Ironwood woman said she saw one wolf on her lawn in 2010 while she was caring for children inside. Lori Holm said she screamed and it fled.

The resolution reported a different scenario.

“Wolves appeared multiple times in the backyard of a daycare center shortly after the children were allowed outside to play,” it said. “Federal agents disposed of three wolves in that backyard because of the potential danger to children.”

No children were in the backyard that day, and three wolves were shot seven months later less than a mile away, MLive.com said.

Casperson said there remains a sound basis for hunting wolves.-

“Contrary to those that oppose the hunt, wolves can and will attack humans,” he said, citing an attack on a teenage camper in Minnesota this year.

“A decision here of whether or not we use sound science to manage wolves, as with all decisions this body makes, should not be based on emotions, agendas or innuendo, but rather on facts,” he said.

Casperson said he still supports the thrust of the 2011 resolution sent to Congress, despite the factual errors it contained.

“Years ago, when I worked for my family’s trucking company, we didn’t scrap a log truck because it had a flat tire,” Casperson said. “We fixed the tire and kept trucking. For the same reason, I will not disown the whole resolution about wolves because of an error in the text. I will correct the error and continue to promote safety in our communities.”

Senator Lies About Wolf Sightings To Strip Them of Federal Protection
Posted by on November 8, 2013. Filed under NEWS. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

11 Responses to Senator Lies About Wolf Sightings To Strip Them of Federal Protection

1. Rachael Reply

November 8, 2013 at 10:45 am

At least he admitted he lied. Unusual for a republican.

2. Michael John Scott Reply

November 8, 2013 at 10:56 am

I think he was called out which is why he ‘fessed up.

3. Bill Formby Reply

November 8, 2013 at 11:24 am

Maybe there should shoot him. Mike, I may be totally wrong about this but I don’t remember the last time I read, or even heard, of a person being killed by a wolf anywhere in the country. I know they do kill livestock but I can’t recall a person being killed by one.

November 8, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I’m with you Bill. Let’s shoot him and protect the wolves. Works for me :-)

4. Michael John Scott Reply

November 8, 2013 at 11:32 am

There was one person killed, according to the senator. One. And that justifies slaughtering all of them.

5. Marsha Woerner Reply

November 8, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I have a totally different interpretation of that “flat tire” story. I agree that a whole law or bill should not be scrapped because of one problem. BUT
    In that vein, one human being killed by a wolf does NOT justify totally scrapping the protection that we Americans have felt that wolves deserve. Particularly not knowing any details of the one human killed… I know that livestock is a problem. But is the problem to be solved by no longer protecting an important species to our environment? I’m tired of the American way of saying “there’s exactly ONE answer, and it’s the one that we come up with in the easiest possible manner!”

November 8, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I’m a big fan of wolves, and not much of a fan of people. For me this is a no-brainer. Protect the wolves and f*ck the people.

6. Linh Reply

November 8, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Oddly enough, my only reaction to this is “Stop being so stereotypical, Republican Senator!” I actually hoped it wouldn’t be a Republican when I read the headline, just to break the stereotype.

I love the constant references to it being an “error” rather than a “lie.” It’s in the same vein as the euphemisms that British politicians have to use because of the existence of “unparliamentary language.”

7. Timmy Mahoney Reply

November 8, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I live in Michigan, and killing wolves is all the talk and all the sport. The bills in the legislature have been sponsored by the republican toadies of the various hunting organizations. All they want to do is sell licenses to people so they can hire guides to show them where to kill wolves. It’s a sham and a scam. Better keep Obama out of it though or he’ll make sure they lose their protection like he did in some Northwestern states so he could make a budget deal with senators from wolf killing states.

8. nathan Reply

November 8, 2013 at 6:07 pm

As Mahoney said this is all about greed and has nothing to do with protecting the animals. It’s little more than a continuation of America’s fixation with guns, and all things that go bang. It’s also about the macho American male with chest puffed up, rifle at the ready, posing beside his prey: the grey wolf. Assholes every one of them.