‘Unloaded’ Gun Kills Another Child

About Michael Scott
Mr. Scott is a political junkie, and animal lover. He is also a U.S. Army veteran, career law enforcement executive and university professor. In addition he happens to own MadMikesAmerica which means he can write anything he wants, and often does.
View all posts by Michael Scott →
glock Unloaded Gun Kills Another Child

Glock 27 with laser sight

Another senseless death in the land of the free and home of the brave. An 11-year old boy was shot and killed this past weekend when his uncle pointed a gun at this head and pulled the trigger.  He was showing off his gun collection to his nephew when this terrible accident happened. Yet another gun and another dead kid.  So very sad.

From Newser:

An 11-year-old boy died this weekend when his uncle, showing off his gun collection, pointed a gun with a laser sight at the boy’s head and pulled the trigger, Raw Story reports. The New Jersey fifth grader—identified by WNEP as Hunter Pederson—was visiting his grandfather’s house when he asked to see his uncle’s gun collection, according to a police report. The uncle, 34-year-old Chad Olm, let his son and Hunter handle three handguns but told police he had no worries because he doesn’t leave his guns loaded.

The fatal moment came when Olm pulled out his Glock 27 .40-caliber handgun with a laser sight—which had no magazine in it, but Olm didn’t think to check or clear it, thePocono Record reports. He pointed the laser around the room, then at Hunter. “Look, you have a red dot on your forehead,” one of the boys said. When his nephew reached for the gun, Olm pulled the trigger, striking him above the eye and causing him to fall over. “It’s horribly tragic,” said a police lieutenant. “The family is devastated.” Police arrested Olm on charges including criminal homicide, and he’s being held behind bars in lieu of bail.

Unloaded Gun Kills Another Child
Posted by on May 6, 2014. Filed under NEWS. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

11 Responses to ‘Unloaded’ Gun Kills Another Child

1. James Smith Reply

May 6, 2014 at 10:38 am

Behind bars. Good idea, I don;t know if they can make a charge of abysmal stupidity stick though.

2. Danielle Fisher-Arsenault Reply

May 6, 2014 at 11:28 am

I’ve handled guns all of my life. I am a Hunter Education Instructor and I have been Glock certified through employment with my local Sheriff Department. Rule number 1…ALWAYS treat EVERY gun as if it were loaded. Why you would aim a gun at anyone in a joking or playful manner is beyond me. It is not the handgun that causes tragedy…it is the ignorant fool. I feel for this family, this is completely senseless.

May 6, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Daniel as a retired LEO and firearms instructor/trainer, I have carried and handled weapons all of my adult life and I agree with you completely.

• Danielle Fisher-Arsenault Reply

May 7, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Mike…It’s tragic.

3. Josh Taylor Reply

May 6, 2014 at 1:55 pm

So how do we fix this?

Ban guns, take away 2nd amendment? Criminals, idiots, the government, all will continue to have weapons. Unfortunately, the 2nd amendment protects the first.

Nazi Germany banned weapons. That worked out well. The Japanese never considered seriously invading the west coast because they feared battling the military and ordinary citizens armed in the streets.

We have a problem and I’m tired of hearing these stories and no real solutions presented

. I have kids and to lose them would be unthinkable. I’m open to supporting real change, but “gun control” will never be the answer. This will only take guns from upstanding, responsible citizens. The criminal will pay more and still buy their weapons

May 6, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Actually Germany’s ban on weapons worked out quite well. The violent crime rate dropped significantly. I had never heard that about the Japanese position on invading the West Coast and can’t find a reputable source, other than gunner sites. As to the criminals getting guns; yes they always will, but your odds of being a victim of violent crime, provided you don’t live in an inner city, are about as good of winning the lottery. The argument that people need guns to protect themselves from crime is utter nonsense, and some ‘form’ of regulation and control is necessary.

• James Smith Reply

May 6, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Real change? Try reading my essay on this at:

Nothing will keep guns from criminals. Here in Brazil, very few private citizens own any kind of firearm and owning a handgun is very difficult. Yet, the criminals, especially the “traficantes” (drug dealers) are often better-armed than the police.

Still, the kind of accidental or the “madman” random shootings that we see in the USA are nearly unheard of here.

May 6, 2014 at 3:34 pm

James I find that fascinating. I know lots of people who think Brazil is like the old west.

4. Josh Taylor Reply

May 6, 2014 at 2:18 pm

A government that is not scared of its people rising up is a tyrannical power.

May 6, 2014 at 2:33 pm

I just don’t accept that Josh. Maybe a couple hundred years ago, but not today. Secondly, a population that rises up against a government such as the US is an exercise in futility, unless the entire armed forces is co-opted and that’s unlikely. America isn’t a third world country and I don’t see a tyrannical government in our future.