Saying Goodbye To Lacey

Lacey

Long time author and our friend Neil Bamforth lost his beloved Lacey yesterday, and we will miss his many accounts of walking her off leash, which created some comment controversy, and just having a lot of man with dog fun. Here’s what Neil wrote on Facebook yesterday and I thought I would share it with our readers:

Lacey wasn’t my dog she belonged to my neighbour. I often walked her though – she was unique. A stray who had never received any training what so ever she never required a leash.

“Lacey stay with me” and she did – right next to my leg.

If a cat or another dog or even a pigeon came within range she stuck to me like glue.

Once we reached Botwell Common I’d say “Have a run Lacey” and off she’d go. If I called her back she’d come straight back.

Lacey was extraordinarily clever and bright without a bad breath in her body.

I had to take my neighbour to her vets this morning. Lacey had two cancerous growths and was now in pain despite pain killers.

The vet did what had to be done.

Cried my heart out. Cheer me up will you?

Miss you my Lacey 😰

Goodbye Lacey.  No doubt you are playing with your friends at the Rainbow Bridge.  Always know you had a best friend in “Bammy,” and he will never forget you.

Copyright 2017 MadMikesAmerica
Posted by on June 13, 2017. Filed under COMMENTARY/OPINION. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

9 Responses to Saying Goodbye To Lacey

1. Rockync Reply

June 13, 2017 at 9:38 am

Aww, Neil, I am sorry for your sadness. I had to put a kitty down yesterday and it tore my heart in half. All I can say is Lacey may have had a rough start but she sure had love and caring into her old age and I guess we can’t expect any better than that for our furry friends or for ourselves.

June 13, 2017 at 10:20 am

Well said Rocky, and I’m sorry about your loss as well. I’m very much an animal lover and I know that awful pain.

• jess Reply

June 13, 2017 at 5:43 pm

I’m sorry for your hurt heart also. I hate losing my animals, every time one goes, a piece of my heart goes with them.

2. Caroline Taylor Reply

June 13, 2017 at 10:39 am

Oh no. Neil I know you loved that little dog, even though it was your neighbors. She was such great company for you. So sorry.

3. Bill Formby Reply

June 13, 2017 at 10:47 am

Neil, I can not tell you how sorry I am for your loss. There are no words of comfort that will actually relieve the pain. I used to tell my kids that their pets will be waiting to walk with them when they arrive at the Rainbow Bridge when they get there. If the helps I know that Lacey will be there also. Please try to thing how much you added to her life and how much joy you shared together.

4. Peter Lake Reply

June 13, 2017 at 11:17 am

So sorry there old bean. I’ve lost dogs, and cats, and it never gets easier.

5. BitcoDavid Reply

June 13, 2017 at 1:18 pm

This is my e-mail sig:

[He who has been called “I am” grew angry with Man, and created a great chasm separating him from all the other creatures of the earth. As this massive gulf opened, one creature – Dog – jumped across the divide to join Man in his exile. It is all this that they give us, and so much more.]

But when a friend loses a fur-companion I always say this:

[When a dog dies, he gets to spend all his days playing with his long lost siblings. At night he takes the journey to lay at his master’s feet. I have many dogs laying at my feet.]

My condolences, my friend.

6. Neil Bamforth Reply

June 13, 2017 at 3:16 pm

Wow!!!!…I wasn’t expecting this!!!!

Thank you so so much.

This means more than I can find words for.

7. jess Reply

June 13, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Oh Neil, as someone that gave you much grief about walking Lacey minus her leash, I know how much you loved that furbaby and I am so sorry for your neighbor and you. They can grab such a hold on our hearts can’t they? you guys did the right thing letting her go when she was suffering.