happy easter card purple egg flowers butterfly decoration vector illustration

GIVE ‘EM HELL, E.J.

In 730 words, E.J. Dionne eviscerates Orrin Hatch’s recent op-ed piece against health-care reform and the use of reconciliation. The Democrats are not “ramming through” a massive bill, contrary to what Hatch says; instead, Dionne reminds us, they are using reconciliation appropriately to pass amendments that complete the legislative process.

Republicans are hypocrites to scream against ramming “substantive legislation” through the Senate when they, in fact, rammed Bush tax cuts for the wealthy through the upper house by the narrowest of votes.

Quoth Dionne: “The underlying ‘principle’ here seems to be that [Republicans think] it’s fine to pass tax cuts for the wealthy on narrow votes but an outrage to use reconciliation to help middle-income and poor people get health insurance.”

Posted by on March 4, 2010. Filed under Commentary,NEWS. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Responses are currently closed, but you can trackback from your own site.

8 Responses to GIVE ‘EM HELL, E.J.

1. fourdinners

March 4, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Stimpson : As an English contributor to this marvellous site I am sometimes lost in a confusion of language and, what is to me, relatively ‘local’ politics. It does genuinely interest me as I am without reservation a fan of America and Americans per se…possibly Walmart excepted..;-)

As an avid fan of Hill Street Blues I thought I could follow things American reasonably well.

What precisely is an op-eds? I have no idea but I have a genuine curiosity and urge to learn these things.

• Stimpson

March 4, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Op-ed = “opposite the editorial page”, the page reserved for columns & “insight” & etc.

I guess it’s not a popular term on your side of the Atlantic.

Sadly, our newspapers don’t have page 3 models. But I digress.

2. Gwedolyn H. Barry

March 4, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Wash Post had to pub… they were under integrity scrutiny over this. Great post Stimpson… thanks for the heads up to good piece. 🙂

• Stimpson

March 4, 2010 at 5:15 pm

That sounds about right, Gwen. The Post needed to redeem itself for some of the bullshit it’s been publising lately. Didn’t it run the Palin op-eds too?

3. fourdinners

March 4, 2010 at 2:18 pm

‘Repub­li­cans are hyp­ocrites’

Being a cynical old fart I’d say they were politicians.

Which amounts to the same thing…;-)

4. Stimpson

March 4, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Colbert, in his brilliant mocking way, put it very well earlier this week when he got mad at Cantor for saying the Repubs want health reform. If they cared so much about this issue, as Colbert said, the GOP would have done something about it in the 12 years they dominated Congress.

The Repubs don’t care about ordinary Americans. That should be obvious to everyone who’s paying attention.

5. MadMike

March 4, 2010 at 12:14 pm

They have been friendly to Right Wingers in the last several years. I don’t get their game. Stimpson the audacity of the Republicans is beyond comprehension.

6. Holte Ender

March 4, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Glad to see that published in the Washington Post, they have been more than friendly to right-wing causes in the past few years.