The Battle of Kruger, Water Buffalo versus A Pride of Lions versus Crocodiles

Kruger National Park is one of the largest game reserves in Africa. It covers 18,989 square kilometers (7,332 sq mi) and extends 350 kilometers (220 mi) from north to south and 60 kilometers (37 mi) from east to west.

To the west and south of the Kruger National Park are the two South African provinces of Limpopo and Mpumalanga. In the north is Zimbabwe, and to the east is Mozambique. It is now part of the Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park, a peace park that links Kruger National Park with the Gonarezhou National Park in Zimbabwe, and with the Limpopo National Park in Mozambique.

In May 2007, tourists witnessed a battle for survival. A Pride of Lions and Crocodiles fight for the same dinner, a Water Buffalo calf, until the Water Buffaloes decide enough is enough. A remarkable piece of video.

Hat tip to Jim Joiner at An Average American Patriot

Posted by on April 13, 2010. Filed under Animals. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

9 Responses to The Battle of Kruger, Water Buffalo versus A Pride of Lions versus Crocodiles

1. MadMike Reply

April 12, 2010 at 9:02 pm

This is an outstanding video. It is about protecting the young and the fierce battle for survival. Thanks Holte!

2. osori Reply

April 12, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Holte,
    incredible video. what Mike said, protecting the young and battle for survival.Both predators and prey struggling to survive.

• Holte Ender Reply

April 12, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Yes guys, isn’t that just a bit special.

• MadMike Reply

April 12, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Yes my friend! Yes!

3. Lazersedge Reply

April 13, 2010 at 4:30 am

That my friends is a hell of a neighborhood watch. Many hunters say the Water Buffalo may be the most dangerous of all African wild life. I really don’t know since there a bunch of animals over there I would want to aggravate. But high on my list would be this big animal. I think these lions would now agree with me. Great video.

• Holte Ender Reply

April 13, 2010 at 8:07 am

What’s amazing is the whole group surrounded the Lions and did not leave it to the mother to try and save her calf.

4. Infidel753 Reply

April 13, 2010 at 5:30 am

An amazing video, thanks. What’s actually striking to me is that the buffaloes weren’t even more aggressive. They’re individually much bigger than the lions and had them far outnumbered, yet they still took a long time to come back, and then were rather hesitant at first. I guess they have an instinctive fear of lions even when the odds favor them.

• Holte Ender Reply

April 13, 2010 at 8:08 am

They dwarfed the Lions, perhaps they don’t realize their power, but the instinct to protect their young overcame their fears.

5. Alex Reply

January 4, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I think that the lion is the most powerful animal and that he deservs to be called KING .