The World Cup 2010 – The United States vs The British Empire!! Open Thread!

The game is about to begin, following the dozens of commercials forced upon us by ABC. The United States of America, relatively new to the soccer world given the history of the other teams, will take on the British Empire.  It should come as a surprise to no one that I support the American Team, even though I was born and partly educated in England.  So, here is hoping that America prevails once again over the English, like they did in the 50’s,  (1-0) and like they did in that little conflict a couple of centuries ago.

So that being said………GO USA!!!!!!

Enhanced by Zemanta
Copyright 2010 MadMikesAmerica
Posted by on June 12, 2010. Filed under Commentary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

20 Responses to The World Cup 2010 – The United States vs The British Empire!! Open Thread!

1. fourdinners

June 12, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I predict 3 – 0 to England, although we may let you score 1 as we like you…;-)

Good luck old bean and, whilst I hope you lose this one, I really hope – and will be cheering you on – in the next two so you qualify.

USA make the semi’s!!! Now that would be cool!!! (long as it isn’t at our expense)

2. Krell

June 12, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Oh no, Britain is stunned. It’s a Cinderella story for the USA team as they defeat the pride of the empire.

Movie rights are already in the works with a promise from Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp to play lead roles.

• Jess

June 12, 2010 at 4:00 pm

This is the one time I will say no to JD. I think the roles should go to David Beckham, he is a footballer after all and Christian Ronaldo. I would not be terribly disappointed if they had to do shower scenes either. It would be for the art, yes for the art. I’m just saying.

3. MadMike

June 12, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Tied up!!!! Yayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!

4. fourdinners

June 12, 2010 at 3:27 pm

You lucky lucky bastards!!!!

I said we’d let you get one cause we like you…

3 – 1 at full time to England…I hope…;-)

England are clearly the better team in overall ability but you guys make up for less finesse with an incredible fighting spirit! – and you have some finesse too in Donovan and Dempsey…

It could go to the wire if you’re guys stick at it.

Good luck (and please lose)…;-)

• MadMike

June 12, 2010 at 4:35 pm

No loss today Old Beaner!!! Thanks for being a good sport though….it’s fun.

5. Holte Ender

June 12, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Well I have a foot in each camp, so I am happy right now, but England will be dangerous after Capello rips them a new one at the half time break.

6. Will "take no prisoners" Hart

June 12, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I’m rooting for the Ivory Coast.

7. The Lawyer

June 12, 2010 at 4:33 pm

As an American citizen, I feel very, very good right now. It looks like we have finally arrived. Great control and composure, good stamina. USA! Somebody give Green a huge hug for me if you get a chance.

8. MadMike

June 12, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Well I’m not unhappy with this outcome. Job well done by all, except perhaps by Mr. Green! YAY AMERICA!!!!!

9. Holte Ender

June 12, 2010 at 4:36 pm

1-1 USA better team, England lacked cohesion and looked very tired, need to drink some Red bull. Possession of the ball means nothing unless you create, very lethargic England performance and an energetic US one.

10. The Lawyer

June 12, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Another thought…Tim Howard is one badass goalkeeper. That guy amazes me every time I watch him play.

11. Jess

June 12, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I’m rooting for everyone so there. I am a league of nations unto myself and I will support all the teams, since I don’t care who wins it. When I said this to hubby and his friends, this did not go well for me. I got eye rolls and well why are you even watching. Um, hello it is my friggin house you have been invited to. You all know where the door is and know how to get there, was my only witty retort.

pee ess, I now see why there would be violence after sporting events.

• The Lawyer

June 12, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Boooooooooooooooo! It’s a zero sum scenario. Only one team gets the trophy. You would like my wife, Jess.

• Jess

June 12, 2010 at 5:13 pm

No dog in the hunt, so to speak, so I am doing my damndest to just piss everyone off right now because of the attitude I just got. I like everyone till they screw me over, then it’s on. Hubby’s girlfriend will know by end of the day, who is the HBIC** of this house. It’s only the second time I have met her and last time I was buzzed, so I probably was all happy as I usually am when I have a buzz going on. Today she is totally harshing my mellow, and I am not liking it at all.

**Head bitch in charge.

12. fourdinners

June 12, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Holty! Get a life!!!

Technically England were the better side – but not by a lot I admit. The USA made up for any technical inferiority with a fantastic fighting spirit. (plenty of technically great play from Dempsey and Donovan as well)

A draw was a fair result. Hopefully we’ll both progress by beating Algeria and Slovakia.

In the true sporting spirit of an English man, very well done USA and may you join us in the next round!

• The Lawyer

June 12, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Same to you. Here’s to a re-match!

13. fourdinners

June 12, 2010 at 5:23 pm

er…Jess?….it’s a man thing babe…;-)

• Jess

June 13, 2010 at 12:34 am

I suppose so 4d, but I do get into baseball when the San Francisco Giants are playing. Sorry Oso, I know you are a Dodgers fan, I’ll still talk to you though 😉

14. fourdinners

June 12, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Oh yeah…and just before I retire…Tim Howard was awesome…as you say over there. (Can we borrow him if you get knocked out?)

Nite peeps