Drink coffee for a long life

As a coffee drinker who must have at least one cup in the morning, I really enjoyed reading the results of this new study. Probably sponsored by Folgers and Maxwell House, but I liked it anyway.

A unique investigation into what helps people live to be 100 shows even those with high blood pressure are healthier for a daily cup of coffee. According to a study released yesterday, it helps improve elasticity of the arteries, which can ward off heart disease.

The subjects of the research were all aged between 65 and 100 and long-term inhabitants of the Greek island of Ikaria. It is known as the ‘land of longevity’ and a third of residents reach the age of 90.

The population suffers 20 per cent less cancer and half the rate of heart disease compared with the Western average, and there is virtually no dementia.

The island has been a destination for health tourists since the 6th century, when ancient Greeks and Romans visited hot springs fabled for their beneficial effects on joint and skin ailments.

Modern-day experts claim the heart-protective Mediterranean diet, supplemented with locally produced honey and herbal teas, also plays a part.

Now regular coffee drinking has been investigated by researchers from the University of Athens to see if it also helps people live longer. They looked at 485 people with high blood pressure, medically known as hypertension.

By increasing the load on the heart, hypertension results in stiffness of the arteries and reduced elasticity which in turn increases the likelihood of heart attacks and strokes. Dr Christina Chrysohoou, who led the study, said there was conflicting evidence about the effect of coffee drinking on heart health, with some research showing it aggravated high blood pressure.

But drinking coffee is a deeply embedded social tradition in Greek culture which made it imperative to investigate on this island of ‘high life-expectancy’, she said. READ MORE

Copyright 2010 MadMikesAmerica
Posted by on September 1, 2010. Filed under Commentary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

12 Responses to Drink coffee for a long life

1. Jess

September 1, 2010 at 5:05 pm

I would say it was more the good diet with teas and stuff rather than the coffee, that’s just me though. Not a coffee drinker at all, makes me sick just smelling the stuff in the AM. Wonder if it might have something to do with the pace of life there too. I mean here, we are like totally frazzled all the time, going from one place to another without stopping and smelling the roses. I think I would like to go research the benefits of living on a Greek island for a long time.

• Holte Ender

September 1, 2010 at 5:09 pm

You could well be right Jess, but like I said, as a coffee drinker, I like it when someone says I could be doing a good thing.

• Jess

September 1, 2010 at 5:15 pm

You know what would be a good idea? I think you need to get Mike to fund a trip for you and the lovely Mrs Holte to this Greek island. Try not to tell him it was my idea though, let him think it was his. Trust me, the men they like thinking they came up with things. Come up with some kind of research proposal for MMA and tell him you will be doing extensive reporting on it. Shh, between us for now 🙂 Hubby swears by coffee too, and will totally agree with the logic behind coffee drinking being good for you. Like I said, never have touched the stuff, it smells too bad to me to ever want to drink it. I prefer hot teas.

• Holte Ender

September 1, 2010 at 5:52 pm

What a great idea (the Greek Island trip) not so great, asking Mike to fund it.

2. The Lawyer

September 1, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Excellent news. I drink about 6 cups of the liquid heaven everyday. Some days more.

• Holte Ender

September 1, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Like me, if the study had said, “Coffee will kill you” you would have dismissed it as poppycock.

• The Lawyer

September 1, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Absolutely!

3. Stimpson

September 1, 2010 at 9:28 pm

I’ve read elsewhere (a Canadian medical columnist who is a physician) that there’s plenty of evidence that coffee substantially cuts your risk of diabetes.

• Holte Ender

September 2, 2010 at 8:30 am

Another study I like – I’m reducing the chance of all sorts risks right now.

4. Pingback: Tweets that mention Drink coffee for a long life -- Topsy.com