Christina Green: Let’s make that clear

Something to express myself with the national tragedy and human suffering that occurred in Arizona. The downward spiral of hate and violence, in particular the political arena of this country, has got to change before it destroys us all.

Let’s make that clear

Vitriol of rage, elixirs of hate
Take them without question, not meant for debate
Daily doses served from the Fear Messiah
Of whom the victim and whom the Pariah

Just images and word, sent from a distance
Daily barrage of talk show insistence
Poisonous diatribe, day after day
Rejection of culpability with a hypocritical “Let’s pray”

Like sticks of wood placed at a pyre
Forms collecting that represent desire
Desires of hate and fears to hatch
Collusion to destruction but not striking the match

Crosshairs and targets, just images and word
Are we responsible..Now, that’s just absurd
Images sent to a gunman of an enemy to fear
But the flame we did not start, let’s make that clear

Christina Green, Age 9

Posted by on January 11, 2011. Filed under Commentary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

16 Responses to Christina Green: Let’s make that clear

1. C.H. McDermott Reply

January 11, 2011 at 8:14 am

That’s the part of that tragedy to which I actually have a strong visceral action.

• Krell Reply

January 11, 2011 at 12:41 pm

That goes for both of us, Collin.

2. Gwendolyn H. Barry Reply

January 11, 2011 at 9:23 am

Stoked with symbolism, this bright young lady is a true American tragedy… born on 911, taken by a madman’s bullet. She is a special spirit, soul… an avatar.
    I like your soulfull poem Krell.

• Krell Reply

January 11, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Thanks, Gwen. It was one of those can’t sleep..get up and write about it at 3:00am type things.

3. A Michael J. Scott Reply

January 11, 2011 at 10:31 am

It is hard for me to look at this beautiful young girl. A life that had so much to offer taken by a bullet fired by a deranged lunatic. Such unimaginable cruelty in an unimaginably cruel nation.

• Krell Reply

January 11, 2011 at 12:32 pm

How??…. how can someone be that crazy to harm those people.

My heart goes out to her parents, I can’t imagine the pain.

My little girl is just 3 years older…this post was just something I had to write. May not make much sense, but it was cathartic for me to do from the news yesterday.

4. Stimpson Reply

January 11, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Krell: Poet Laureate of MMA.

• Krell Reply

January 11, 2011 at 12:34 pm

No, Mike…mine are just ramblings.

Oso and Lazer have that title, no question.

5. Holte Ender Reply

January 11, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Nice and appropriate wordsmithing.

6. lazersedge Reply

January 11, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Very well done Krell. Welcome to the MMA Poets Society.

“Images sent to a gunman of an enemy to fear
    But the flame we did not start, let’s make that clear”

Palin has been frantically trying to get this message out but I don’t think a lot of people are buying it.

7. Krell Reply

January 11, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Thanks, Lazer! Now that I’m a member, do we have any secret handshakes or rings with weird symbols on them? Always wanted one of those..

• A Michael J. Scott Reply

January 11, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Yeah! I’m into that. We should think of a name, a secret name of course 🙂

8. Gwendolyn H. Barry Reply

January 11, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Words matter. They make a difference. These words matter … and as you well know, there are those who silently take in what is posted and allow the words to matter. David, 3am with the fear of the country you hold the highest hopes in … to compare this atrocity, spurred much by the very thing you work against, and the ‘there but for the grace of whatever spook’ goes my heart, my little girl… I can’t imagine, no source of empathy fills me with the same kind of shudder and inner collapse in the fear that she might have been yours.
    But she is all of ours, now.

• krell Reply

January 11, 2011 at 4:40 pm

“But she is all of ours, now.” How true…her and the rest that were killed..murdered.

Words form ideas and ideas create action. To say that images of cross-hairs on a rifle pointed at a political opponent, or it’s time to reload, or displaying posters of Obama hanging by rope…it’s just got to stop.

Nobody is saying that you can’t disagree with ideas, just don’t try to harm the person presenting them. Spin or not, we all know who the guilty parties are in spewing this hate garbage.

• A Michael J. Scott Reply

January 11, 2011 at 5:00 pm

….”but she is all of ours, now.” Gwen you are right. Words do matter and these words matter indeed. Thank you.

9. oso Reply

January 11, 2011 at 6:27 pm

From the heart man, from the heart. I hear you and feel you on this,brother.