Don’t abandon your pets-You are their lives

PLEASE DON’T JUST DUMP YOUR DOGS.  YOU REALLY ARE THEIR LIVES….

dont abandon your pets: you are their lives madmikesamerica

“Woof!” I said as you started the car,
“Hooray!” I said, it’s my first time afar.
The scents we were passing were all new to me,
For it was my first introduction to this mystery.
As we got out of the car I embraced you with joy,
After all you remembered to bring my favourite toy!
You threw it once or twice, of which I retrieved,
But on the third it seemed you were ready to leave.
You threw it long and hard and I chased it like lightning,
But when I turned to bring it back I saw a sight quite frightening.
I gripped my toy hard as I tried to comprehend
What it was I did wrong to make our relationship end.
You walked back to your car as I sat there still loyal.
Why am I subservient and you so royal?
Your engine started, and you peeled out into the night,
You didn’t even care about my overwhelming fright.
As I sat in my pose determined you would come back,
The sun faded behind me while the surroundings turned black.
Day after day I stayed in that park,
Lying… waiting… too feeble to bark.
As I lay there dying thinking of you master,
I asked myself how I got into this horrifying disaster.
With my last breath of life, I whispered your name
Then I collapsed in a heap overrun by pain.
Why didn’t you love me master? Why didn’t you care?
Had I no significance, was I just a clump of hair?
I stayed there master and I waited for you
I guess taking care of me was just too much to do.
I’m gone now master, no more You-and-I
But what I can’t figure out is why you didn’t even say goodbye…

-Author: Andrew Siegele-

Hat tip to Peggy for bringing my attention to this …..

Posted by on October 13, 2011. Filed under Commentary,Pets. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

8 Responses to Don’t abandon your pets-You are their lives

1. Peggy Roche Reply

October 13, 2011 at 8:08 am

BoB and I are so glad you shared this….and bless every person who stops when they see a doggy waiting by the road. So many of my lifetime loves first appeared in my headlights.And bless the organized rescue groups like Second Chance in Flagstaff who stopped and saved a three legged wolfie several years ago!

2. dp1053 Reply

October 13, 2011 at 8:51 am

So sad, heartbreaking. If you can’t care for an animal, don’t get one. If you have one and can’t care for it, PLEASE, PLEASE at least find a no-kill shelter, do not give it to a stranger for free as it will probably end up in a lab or as bait for fighting dogs.

3. jenny40 Reply

October 13, 2011 at 9:15 am

Geez Mike I come back from vacation and read this? Now you’ve got me crying, but it’s an important message, one I hope is shared by all. Our animals are precious. They are beating hearts, not property.

4. Edward Caissie Reply

October 13, 2011 at 10:56 am

I’m not sure what I expected, maybe more of an opinion piece than this heart-wrenching poem. I must admit I immediately thought of Romee as I was reading this.

We brought him home from a woman who basically said she was moving across country and did not want to take him on the drive. When I heard that I just asked for his lease and took Romee to his forever home … ours.

He’s precocious and troublesome at times, but no pet deserves to be abandoned. Ever!

I could not imagine the story above before today, and I still have no idea how some people can do it.

5. newageluddite Reply

October 13, 2011 at 11:37 am

After I finished crying I gave Daisy, our used Beagle a friend rescued from under an underpass during one of our recent 112 degree days, a great big hug.

6. Michael John Scott Reply

October 13, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I am proud to say that I have rescued 7 dogs in the last 5 years. I found the home of one who had decided to just walk away, and found homes for the other two. Four of them found a home with me, and although one of them, Peaches, a little poodle, died of old age, the others are still with me to this day.

7. Isabella Reply

March 1, 2014 at 10:45 pm

This made me cry for five minutes.Cruel… just cruel

March 2, 2014 at 11:08 am

It was touching Isabella, which is why I posted it. I just hope it stops at least one person from abandoning their dog.