Dear Media: Our Democracy Is Depending On You

by Dr Mark Bear

Donald Trump gave an off-the-cuff interview with the very press he so ‘hates’  before leaving the White House yesterday, for Dallas, Texas. As usual, he spent nearly fifteen minutes denigrating those who oppose him, and stated  he did not authorize the strike on Niger. But there is more to Trump’s comments which are fodder for discussion today.

When Trump has need to tell the American people how civil he is, you can be sure, he is not. This especially, when he spent the entire morning acting more like a teenage bully on a schoolyard playground, than the President of our nation. When he tells Americans how “intelligent” he is, you can be certain, he is not! When he continues telling the press how “fake they are,” you can be assured that there is nothing fake about our media, and this is just another example of him attacking one of our democratic institutions. When he refers to himself in the third person, there is, in all probability something woefully inadequate about the man,” as has been now documented by over 27 psychiatrists in a book which you can now pick up at your local bookstore.

In other words, confident people have NO need to TELL others about who they really are. You want to know why? Because their actions speak louder than the words.

Trump’s claim that he is a victim due to the Clinton campaign “funding the ‘fake’ dossier composed by Christopher Steele is nothing more than another one of his distractions to keep us focused on trivial matters, while our governmental institutions are being attacked by him, and will be unsuccessful in the end.

Trump can continue diverting attention away from the Mueller investigation by bringing up issues with the Clinton campaign all darned day long, but at the end of the day, it pales in comparison if he is guilty of  just one-twentieth of what the smoke is indicating; that the Russians interfered with our election, with the intent of making him President and, that HIS campaign met with a Russian agent of the Kremlin to dig up dirt on Clinton. So, when he says, the Clinton campaign funded – as reported by various sources now – the supposedly “fake” dossier, despite several items contained within that dossier confirmed, and argues how THAT is comparable to Watergate, he is simply full of you know what.

The fact that our media persists in covering this man’s every move is beginning to look like our nation has state run media now. What the media NEEDS to be covering is what is currently taking place in our government.

Case in point: Were you each aware that Ryan Zinke, Secretary of the Interior, prior to being placed on Trump’s cabinet funneled millions of dollars to the Trump campaign through Super Pacs? Did you also know that he has been flying around on private jets more frequently than a “road warrior” has to take a plane to get to his or her destination, at our expense?

Did you also know that the firm hired to rebuild Puerto Rico’s extensive electrical grid, despite offers from Tesla, who was going to build one of the most modern-day power grids to prevent the crisis from occurring again, ended up going to two guys with zero experience, zero equipment, zero understanding of Puerto Rico’s unique situation on that island, and zero employees at the time that Hurricane Maria hit the island of Puerto Rico?

Well, did you know?

No, you – if you are like most of the American public – you may be unaware of this information because this is not the stuff the media is covering right now, are they? Nope! They are more interested in capturing Trump’s verbal diarrhea – through Tweets – as he sits on his “throne” each morning. Whatever happened to investigative journalists, like Walter Cronkite, Edward Murrow and a host of others? Thankfully, we all have Rachel Maddow, a few others, and the internet to hear what is really going on.

So, just who are those two guys who were awarded a 300 MILLION DOLLAR contract? Hmm! Well, nobody seems to know, but one thing is for sure; the mysterious two guys seem a bit less mysterious when you discover that their two man office is located in the town of Whitefish, Montana, home of you guessed it: Ryan Zinke, the very man who is spending our taxpayer dollars as though they were the precious water the poor people of Puerto Rico could use right about now.

THIS folks, is what an oligarchy looks like. When the leader of the nation happens to have business interests right down the street from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, our White House, refusing to divest his interests in his business, nor release his taxes, while having several Cabinet Officials within Trump’s administration flying around on private jets, some with their wives, you can only call this as it is: An OLIGARCHY!

So, while our corporately controlled media persists in covering Trump’s every move and Tweet, what could they be covering right now?

How about discussing what went on in Niger which cost four men their lives by serving our nation; Staff Sergeant Bryan Black, Sergeant La David Johnson, Staff Sergeant Dustin Wright, and Staff Sergeant Jeremiah Johnson? The president refuses to discuss what in the heck they were doing over there, and while some media has reported that they were ambushed as they went after an ISIS leader, the majority of our media remains too silent. Perhaps THIS is why Trump won’t discuss the matter, since after all, he did promise his supporters and this nation that “ISIS would be defeated,” within the first thirty days in office? Oh, how we so quickly forget, don’t we?

Yet, the conservative media raged for years over the tragic incident which took place in Benghazi, didn’t they?  So did republicans of course, spending millions of our taxpayer dollars only to conclude that everything they tried to allege was mostly false. At best there were operational failures, of which the republican party holds some of the blame. After all they turned down requests for additional funding for security in places just like Benghazi. But hey: “priorities,” right? Isn’t that what Congressman Chaffetz said?

Or, how about daily and persistent coverage on how Puerto Rico still has nearly 85% of their population without power? Are we just going to forget the people who are our own since the incident occurred? Is the media simply going to provide coverage as to how things are coming along, or not, over in Puerto Rico, just because the President wants our attention diverted? In other words, is the media going to merely provide scant coverage to the Puerto Rico situation, while ignoring all of this administration’s stated inconsistencies?

What about having a national dialogue on gun safety, considering fifty-nine people lost their lives in Las Vegas, while wounding over five-hundred? You will recall conservatives were clear that a discussion of this sort, during the recent days of the incident was politicizing the event? What about now? If not now, when?

Also, the media could be providing coverage about how a man walked into Asheville Regional Airport several days ago, and placed a bomb in the airport, “because he wanted to begin a war with the United States?” If it were not for some citizen who observed the man walk into the airport with a package only to leave without it, that bomb would have gone off at 6:00 AM the following morning, the busiest time for the airport, ensuring maximum affliction on those unfortunate to be traveling that day.  Instead, if you are like most citizens of this nation, you ‘may’ have heard about the incident through social media, but the mainstream media? Not so much, huh? Perhaps since the man was not Muslim the editors did not feel it worthy of news coverage.

What about the CHIPS program expiring thanks to republicans in the House, and Trump, allowing nine million children to be at risk of not receiving medical coverage? Where was that story in our news?

The current media would do well to stop covering Trump’s constant diversion tactics, and cover on a consistent basis what is REALLY taking place, as oligarchs extract the wealth out of our nation, and the aforementioned issues take place.  Yes, the media outlets do provide coverage of these events, but when they do, it is usually scant, while their entire focus is on Trump’s movements and his Tweets.

Senator Flake stood on the floor of the Senate telling his caucus how Trump was damaging our democracy, and how one day those lawmakers “would have to explain to their grandchildren why they sat silently by and did nothing,” and to what effect folks? Senator Corker has excoriated the current President and while there is coverage over the feud, the media portrays the people writ large of this  nation to be siding with Trump.

As noted Statesman Benjamin Franklin once said regarding the relationship between a lack of a robust press and tyranny:

“Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freedom of speech.”

No matter the reason our current media provides more coverage to Trump, versus his daily diversions, with republicans losing their souls by their continued support of this President, the media may be our very last hope to prevent our nation from being ruled by a tyrant. So media, please do your jobs. The survival of our democracy is dependent upon you.

As a liberal political writer and analyst, I would really love for you to connect with me as a friend on Facebook because there is a need for each of us to stick together. I write only fact based material and leave out the hyperbole and sensationalism. Remember: there is strength in numbers. You can also follow me on Twitter. Either way, I sincerely hope to see you soon as we try to keep the nation moving forward in a way that makes sense to all.

Show us your appreciation by clicking the LIKE button directly under the post.  If you would like to read and share more from Dr Bear just CLICK HERE!

Posted by on October 27, 2017. Filed under COMMENTARY/OPINION,Political,Terrorism. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

27 Responses to Dear Media: Our Democracy Is Depending On You

1. Michael John Scott Reply

October 27, 2017 at 7:37 am

Mark you’ve managed to hit every single nail right on the head with this one. The fact is the republicans will continue to serve themselves and their rich donors, not the American people. Now they are even back to attacking the Clintons, their forever go to family when things are looking grim in D.C. It’s all very depressing my friend.

2. Lyndon Probus Reply

October 27, 2017 at 7:40 am

Mike is right. Remember “Benghazi, Benghazi, Benghazi?” Who could forget the Right Wing rallying cry before, during and after the election of 2016. They never found a thing, after spending millions and millions of dollars of our money investigating an apparition. Good article.

• Dr. Mark Bear Reply

October 27, 2017 at 8:47 am

Good Morning, Lyndon,

Thank you for the compliment. I think the entire nation remembers Benghazi for two reasons: First, the republicans – who attempted unsuccessfully to try to pin the entire fake scandal on the previous President, only to fail miserably – then turned their attention to the former Secretary of State.

The fact that they continue trying to interfere with the investigation seeking the truth as to what really took place with the Russians interfering with a fundamental part of our democracy, is literally stunning.

Just imagine had this taken place with Clinton, or worse, Obama? They would be screaming impeachment right about now, if not earlier.

Again Lyndon, many thanks for your compliment and I sincerely do hope to see you connect with me on Facebook, so you can keep up with all of my writing. Be well!

3. Rachael Reply

October 27, 2017 at 8:18 am

This quote is well placed and most timely Dr Bear:

“Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freedom of speech.”

Thank you and I hope we see more of you over here. I love your work, and, all of the wonderful work done by the dedicated MMA team.

• Dr. Mark Bear Reply

October 27, 2017 at 8:27 am

Good Morning, Rachael,

Michael is the man responsible for getting me on the writer’s map. You can be sure I will be here frequently. I have other publishers and am going to be starting my own site, but you know what they say? “There is no place like home.” Michael’s site holds a place in my heart. Thank you for your kind words. I hope you will connect with me on Facebook.

4. Rockync Reply

October 27, 2017 at 9:18 am

Mark, you keep writing as accurately, pointedly and eloquently as you do. This country needs more intelligent journaling and less Trumpery.

5. rockync Reply

October 27, 2017 at 10:18 am

Just imagine if every news outlet pretty much ignored the buffoonery and just came on the air with, “And in real news today…” and reported on dead soldiers in Niger, raging fires in the Pacific Northwest and CA, the Mueller investigation and the day’s government agency being marginalized or dismantled. Kind of like turning on the news in the 60s and knowing Huntley, Brinkley and Cronkite were going to tell you about current events, period. Let’s bombard the networks and ask them to live up to that standard. Right now I have to watch BBC news and an English language German one and sometimes an Aussie on just to find out what is REALLY going on in my own country! Geez!

6. Neil Bamforth Reply

October 27, 2017 at 10:24 am

Now THAT is how to write old bean!

Excellent and VERY informative to this daft Brit.

Cheers! 🍻

7. Glenda Durell Reply

October 27, 2017 at 11:37 am

I keep remembering a song from years back, “Is This All There Is,” and thinking how that needs to be played after most newscasts today. No we are are not hearing the real news on most radio and telecasts. We are hearing what they want us to hear. I am thankful for those who are getting the word out to those who will listen but lately that has become fewer and fewer. I keep thinking of the words Paul wrote to Timothy saying, “For the time will come they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.” (2 Timothy 4:3-4) This passage mentions turning away from sound doctrine, but I think in this day and time, it is also about “the truth” of what is going on in our country. Thanks, Mark, for being a “watchman on the wall (Ezekiel 3:17-18). Keep up the good work.

• Dr. Mark Bear Reply

October 27, 2017 at 3:34 pm

Glenda,

Thanks for chiming in. I do not know whether you follow John Pavolitz but he made a great and chilling statement today: “Republican Christians had better lose one of the two titles because when they are placed together,” they are oxymoronic. I just do not know how people of faith – even in our circle of being liberal – recover in the church after so many in the church have nothing negative to say about the man. They are living in denial, while placing our church in peril, or they are blatantly ignorant.

As you know, I do not believe it my need nor right to cram my beliefs down other’s throats due to this hypocrisy. I believe if God wants to get in touch with someone, He is more than able. Just a thought. Again, many thanks!

8. Susan Rubinstein Reply

October 27, 2017 at 2:46 pm

Excellent article. I’ve been ranting and raving to everyone within earshot that the media were totally complicit in Trump’s election. I was a regular viewer of “Morning Joe,” and saw what was happening from day one. (back in 2015) And now they are upset? Hypocritical behavior on the part of all mainstream media.

• Dr. Mark Bear Reply

October 27, 2017 at 3:30 pm

Hello Susan,

The media surely did play a complicit role in getting the man elected. However, where you and I may depart a bit is that I think they continue to play a passive role in promoting him, all while under the auspices of reporting. However, instead of saying: “I do not know where the President has the audacity to make such a claim, that he is civil, when he engages in so much behavior showing otherwise, they simply repeat his statement with no counter-point on the majority of occasions. There are, of course, exceptions to the rule, but they are rare. Thank you for your kind words regarding the piece.

I hope we are connected on Facebook, and if not, encourage you to do so, knowing I will never post anything on your Wall, and always protect my readers. I hope to see you soon!

Doc

9. Susan Bear Reply

October 27, 2017 at 3:17 pm

As always, you bring the facts without the sensationalism and the hyperbole. That’s why I only read your work from this site.

• Dr. Mark Bear Reply

October 27, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Susan,

Let’s be fair to you because you tolerate a lot of my articulating my ideas and assist me in refining them always keeping in mind the absolute best way to print the information in a way any reader will be able to comprehend. Just as in marriage, in my writing, you make me want to be the best husband and writer I can be. Thanks for your comment. You will however, find GREAT WORK FROM ALL of the WRITERS on this site, and I do not think you meant to say what you conveyed there.

After all, you have taken time to read many of the other writer’s stuff.

10. Susan Osada Reply

October 27, 2017 at 3:28 pm

It still never fails to amaze me how blind everyone was in the lead-up to the 2016 election. The “people” had rings in their noses, and were like sedated cattle being led to the slaughter.

11. Peter Lake Reply

October 27, 2017 at 3:56 pm

The election coverage focused on the insane, twisted behavior of one man. He was the freak in the sideshow. The grotesque parody of a human being, that the media displayed for the world to see. While they were doing that they were ignoring the creeping salmonella that was attacking the bowels of the nation, and the freak ended up being the ringmaster.

October 27, 2017 at 7:38 pm

Dude! That’s a really, really good description of what took place and I expect Mark will agree. I liked it so much I copied it, edited it a bit of course, and posted it to my PB page.

12. Brenda Reply

October 28, 2017 at 10:20 am

Once again Mark gives us the truth. I read a lot of political news, blogs. Mark Bear is one of my favorites.

• John V. Merle Reply

October 29, 2017 at 4:58 pm

Mine as well. I just wish we would see more of him. I started coming here about 3 months ago, when my wife’s friend recommended it. Visit every day. Great writers, up to date and sometimes curious news. First time commenting.

• Dr. Mark Bear Reply

October 29, 2017 at 10:36 pm

Hello John,

I try to continue to write for Mad Mikes as Michael Scott was the man who placed me on the proverbial map. Other obligations surfaced with further opportunity for me, but you will continue to see me from time to time, hopefully with more frequency.

Thank you for your kind words. And, thanks for responding. I would love to connect with you as a friend here on Facebook.

13. Donwell Clarke Reply

October 28, 2017 at 2:16 pm

The impact of media is really noteworthy. Excessive coverage or hype of sensitive news has led to communal riots at times. The illiterates are more prone to provocations than the literates. News repetition, especially sensational news, breeds apathy and insensitivity among the public. For instance, in Donald Trump’s case, the Russian allegations, his misogyny, his tweeting, and his all around monstrous behavior is repeatedly shown on most of the T.V. news channels and has now been known globally just because of their repetitions. There is a plethora of such negative impacts. The media should take utmost care in airing or publishing such sensational news frequently or we will become inured.

• Dr. Mark Bear Reply

October 29, 2017 at 12:50 am

Hi Donwell,

Making matters worse is the fact that his Tweets are now considered part of the Presidential record. It is surreal these days and appears we are living in a post-truth society. Thank you for your most insightful response.

14. John V. Merle Reply

October 29, 2017 at 4:56 pm

Remember Chubby Checker? Twist and Shout? Great song, lots of appeal, but no substance. That’s what the media does. Twists and shouts, and that’s about it.

• Dr. Mark Bear Reply

October 30, 2017 at 7:55 am

John,

Sadly, you are so correct and said in just those few words what I took that entire piece to convey. However, in my case, I want to cover my you know what and I have no choice but to do so by arguing the case with evidence.

Ratings, ratings, ratings. That is what it is all about. I would be willing to bet too, that not many folks have noticed the pittance of commercials now being aired with Black or Bi-Racial couples in them too? Trust me: I watched for that only to see a rapid decrease. Finally, I also notice now many stations do not even cover the singing of the National Anthem. Did the owners just give Trump what he wanted or is it coincidence?

Make America Great Again! Was that not his slogan? Yeah, right!

15. lin Reply

November 16, 2017 at 4:43 pm

Dear mike: we are a ” republican democracy,” NOT a democracy. That is why hillary’s popular vote meant nothing, It was entirely an expression of coastal liberal values, not the sentiment of most of America (trump won 32 states, hillary 18; teump won 85% of America”s counties across America; hillary, 15%). LOOK UP “the Great Compromise” of 1787′ which provided each state equal representation in Congress (two senators for each state, irrespective of population), and proportional representation in the House of Representatives. The original framers of
    the Constitution were afraid that the east coast communities would try to control the entire country, and several outlying colonies would not sign unless they were granted equal representation. In sum, Hillary did not represent the views or values of the vast partt of our country. By the way, I am not an overweight, beer-guzzling white male under-educated middle-aged man, as the media liked to characterize Trump voters. I am an attorney-litigator, who has spent lots of time on the east and west coasts.

November 16, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Lin: The fact remains Hillary Clinton beat Trump by almost 3 million votes. As to your statistics, perhaps you could show me a link that reflects those returns? I can’t find one anywhere. Regardless, I appreciate that you stopped by. While we disagree I appreciate the fact that we can agree to do so. Here’s one source supporting my claim as to Clinton’s popular vote win, there are many more out there: Clinton Beats Trump By Nearly 3 Million in Popular Votes