A Return To the Draft-Should the Army Reduce Mental Health Standards?

by Michael John Scott

The United States needs a vigorous standing army, as the world is a dangerous place.  Unfortunately, it’s becoming more and more difficult to recruit soldiers.  Do you think it’s time to reinstate the draft?

Desperate to meet recruitment goals the Army has opened the door to people with mental health issues that would have prevented them from signing up in the past. It appears Uncle Sam is facing the challenge of recruiting 80,000 new soldiers by September next year.

According to documents obtained by USA Today, the Army will now consider granting waivers to people with a history of depression, bipolar disorder, drug and alcohol abuse, and self-mutilation.

The Army banned mental health waivers after a 2009 surge in suicides, but spokesman Lt. Col. Randy Taylor says it is now possible to expand such waivers because the Army now has greater access to medical records and other information on potential recruits.

Taylor says many highly qualified applicants were previously disqualified because of things that happened when they were young children. With the extra data, the military can “now consider applicants as a whole person,” allowing Army leaders and medical professionals to fully review each case, he says. “These waivers are not considered lightly.”

An Army memo seen by USA Today states that for all waivers, the “burden of proof is on the applicant to provide a clear and meritorious case for why a waiver should be considered.” Last year, the Army took steps including raising the number of waivers for marijuana use to meet its target of 69,000 recruits.

So, what do you think?  Should we bring back the draft and make national service a requirement for young men and women?

Edited from Newser.

Copyright 2017 MadMikesAmerica
Posted by on November 13, 2017. Filed under COMMENTARY/OPINION. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

8 Responses to A Return To the Draft-Should the Army Reduce Mental Health Standards?

1. jess Reply

November 13, 2017 at 11:35 am

yeah because what could possibly go wrong with someone that may be mentally ill carrying a gun around. I swear it just gets worse and worse with the thinking. How would they even look into it the way big gubbmint is run these days. Their saying, we would look case by case is bullshit because you know they would just shove paperwork through the pipeline to get butts in the seat so to speak. Just screams DO NOT DO THIS to me. As far as the draft, only if everyone male, female and those from affluent families were included, no issuing of deferments because my feet hurt so I cannot do this, like dolt45 used to get out of Vietnam then proceeded to walk around golf courses and play baseball. One other thing that might happen if they did do a draft, people would be up in arms about their kids having to be called up for service. It would mainly be the richy riches but they might be listened to since no one else is.

November 13, 2017 at 2:55 pm

Agreed! Draft them, but make sure it’s all of them. Exceptions only for SERIOUS medical issues, no bone spur bullshit.

• Bill Formby Reply

November 14, 2017 at 5:10 pm

Exactly, and even then, they could make straw hats for the peace corps.

2. Abby Deeter Reply

November 13, 2017 at 5:21 pm

Yes! We need a draft. The military builds character.

3. Bill Formby Reply

November 13, 2017 at 7:13 pm

I have, on a number of occasions, written that I support a draft. Actually I would go a step further. I would require the everyone give two years of their life in service to their country. There would be no exemptions for anyone for any reasons. They could work in non combat positions, or even work in the Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, or even some of the nature conservative programs. The important thing is that everyone is required to participate, male and females, and they must serve away from their home area so that they are forced to meet and work with people from different areas of the country. Probably a lot of our divisions in this country now is from local tribalism.

• jess Reply

November 13, 2017 at 9:23 pm

Bill, my daddy did the Peace Corps right before college that dirty fuckin hippie. Then he went to law school and became a card carrying conservative nutjob, just kidding he was a dirty, pot smoking lib till the heart attack took him from us. Mom and I scattered his ashes as per his wishes in Thailand where he had done his stint. he said it was the second most rewarding thing he had ever done. I’ll let you guess on his number one, hint..adopting me and being my dad was his most rewarding job except when he was telling me to use my head for more that a hat rack when i was in my teens according to him 🙂

• Bill Formby Reply

November 14, 2017 at 5:12 pm

Yeah, people have knocked the peace corps too much. I think it did a lot of good and it would be a good alternative to military service.

4. Neil Bamforth Reply

November 14, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Perhaps those loonies who commit mass shooting crimes could be enlisted?

As long as you point them in the right direction they could shoot away to their hearts content.

Just saying…..