An Englishman Talks About ‘Britain First’

Britain First on Parade (Photo credit: Wiktor Szymanowicz / Barcroft Im / Barcroft Media via Getty Images)

by Neil Bamforth

President Trump has caused a wee bit of a furor after tweeting a video from the website of an organisation called Britain First.

Britain First is considered far right and, indeed, they appear to have many members who more than qualify as far right.  They also sometimes say things that some Brits can identify with, albeit many of those Brits tend to remain silent in their agreement as they understandably don’t want to be associated with the far right.

I suppose it’s just possible, although surely unlikely, that Trump mistook the organisation as a British version of his statement ‘America First!’ Can he really be so dumb? No. I don’t believe it. He must have known who they are.

Clearly it is very very wrong for the President of the USA to be tweeting what appears to be tacit support for a far right organisation. It is not, however, given Trumps history, a surprise.

The reaction of the British government has been to say he is wrong. The reaction of pretty much anybody with a brain is to say he is wrong and, of course, he is.

What is also wrong is the immediate condemnation of the silent Brits albeit, as they are silent, only they know they are condemned along with Trump and Britain First.

The silent Brits – in this instance – are the ones who abhor far right organisations like Britain First but, nevertheless, are still waiting for a political party to recognize their very genuine fears.

Everyone is so busy condemning Trump and Britain First – and rightly so – that they are not taking the time, as usual, to acknowledge that Britain has a very serious issue regarding immigration.

Immigration is a ‘numbers game’ and consecutive governments have repeatedly got the numbers disastrously wrong.

The result has been Britain’s infrastructure crumbling under the pressure the huge population increase. Consecutive governments have failed abysmally to control the numbers of people settling in Britain – although, in fairness, membership of the EU equaled open borders so controls, at least from Europe, were always problematical.

Far right groups like Britain First blame the immigrants whilst the silent Brits do not. They know the blame lies firmly with consecutive governments and the EU hence they want nothing to do with the far right.

However I fear we are getting ever closer to the time when history, as always, will show its cyclical nature.

The vast majority of Germans were not Nazis in the 30’s yet the Nazi’s prevailed domestically – and we all know what happened next.

The vast majority of Brits are not supporters of the far right yet their genuine concerns over the numbers of immigrants that Britain has accepted is a concern that is at crisis point.

The ‘mainstream’ politicians must stop fearing being tarred as racist or far right and publicly acknowledge that Britain has, for far too long, allowed too many people to settle here.

Already the government is saying 300,000 homes per year need to be built – and many say that is not enough.

Where do we build them? There are only so many sites that will not harm the environment. Is Britain to be concreted over?

“Don’t it always seem to go
That you don’t know what you’ve got ’til its gone?
They paved paradise
Put up a parking lot”

Or in this case, 300,000 houses plus per year.

So, yes, condemn Trump for tweeting support for Britain First. Condemn Britain First for being a far right organisation.

Don’t condemn the silent Brits for wanting their country to remain their country.

If you do then, sooner or later, history will, yet again, come around. You condemn the silent majority in perpetuity and, finally, they will think ‘enough’ and guess into who’s open arms they will walk in their desperation?

Of course, you can just say “Oh that’s just Neil being racist again”.

Fine.

You’re wrong but you are entitled to your opinion. Mark my words. A piece of history is coming back to take it’s turn again and all because everyone was too busy rightly condemning Trump and Britain First whilst forgetting all about the people who are frightened of losing their country.

Yes, I am acquainted with some members of Britain First. No, I am not a member. No, I have no sympathy with anyone blaming immigrants.

My sympathies lie with the silent Brits who feel they are running out of options.

And they are.

Posted by on December 1, 2017. Filed under COMMENTARY/OPINION. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

38 Responses to An Englishman Talks About ‘Britain First’

1. Michael John Scott Reply

December 1, 2017 at 8:40 am

I understand that people want their own country back, and I agree with that. While often done for the most human, moral, and humane reasons, unbridled immigration can be devastating for the host country. I get that and here is a link that readers might find helpful when discussing uncontrolled immigration:
    The Sad But Certain Folly of Mass Immigration
    Then there’s this:
    British Immigration Numbers Plummet
    How does one reconcile these two Neil? Mass immigration in the UK but it really isn’t? Thoughts?

December 1, 2017 at 9:57 am

Immigration has, for decades, been far too high. Any downward trend would need to last several decades to make a difference.

Where immigrants come from is immaterial. It’s purely the numbers.

December 1, 2017 at 10:06 am

I think where they come from is important. Some immigrants have no respect for their host countries, whereas others work hard to assimilate.

December 1, 2017 at 10:27 am

True enough but that’s another problem to add to the numbers Britain’s accepted.

2. Martin Helo Reply

December 1, 2017 at 12:29 pm

Not sure where you are on this there Neil. Are you with Britain First or against them?

December 1, 2017 at 1:55 pm

I’m against any political extreme whether right or left. However, I always listen. That, to me, is the key.
      If you don’t listen you don’t learn nor recognise danger signs.
      That’s just me I guess.

3. Charles Gallagher Reply

December 1, 2017 at 1:25 pm

Bloody imigrants need to leave Britain. Filthy bastards.

December 1, 2017 at 1:57 pm

This is some kind of sick wind up right?

If it is it ain’t funny mate.

If not please return to your hole in the ground.

4. Bobbie Peel Reply

December 1, 2017 at 1:42 pm

If this post was a fishing net, it wouldn’t catch a thing. The holes in the “theory” are so big, every swimmer would escape.

Same old garbage different headline. Mr. Bamforth is a fanatic, he can’t change his mind and he won’t change the subject. He is also a Clairvoyant, he appears to know what people are thinking when he says knows what’s on the mind of “silent Brits”. There are no “silent Brits”, they shouted from the rooftops when they voted for Brexit. They voted along with Britain First and all other hate groups. They want their country back, like Trump supporters say they do. Well you can’t have it back, it’s gone and has been for generations.

December 1, 2017 at 2:01 pm

There are no holes in the statement ‘Britain has taken in too many immigrants’.

We are a small island as a matter of geographical fact. Our resources are finite.

Consecutive governments have failed abysmally to either invest sufficiently in our infrastructure or control immigration.

This is a recipe for disaster.

No holes in that. Just facts.

5. Bobbie Peel Reply

December 1, 2017 at 2:15 pm

There is no wisdom in anything you say. Just facts you said, sounds like opinion to me, and everybody has one of those.

December 1, 2017 at 3:05 pm

Agreed. We all hold opinions and, of course, they can differ.

The trick is to discuss – and you are. Thank you.

Controlled immigration is a boon for any nation. Uncontrolled is not. Immigration to Britain has been, at best, badly controlled for decades.

Combined with consecutive governments failing to invest in our infrastructure sufficiently against immigration numbers, our infrastructure is crumbling.

Far right groups blame immigrants. I do not. Saying there are too many for our infrastructure isn’t blaming them.

If I lived in downtown Mogadishu and I had the chance to come to Britain you bet your ads I’d be here like a shot!

Britain cannot sustain the numbers. Living here I know it as do most Brits.

Saying it though has our left shouting ‘racist’.

It isn’t as it’s true. Shouting ‘racist’ will drive ordinary people to the right.

My opinion? Yep.

• Bobbie Peel Reply

December 1, 2017 at 3:54 pm

What must NOT happen is gangs of thugs like Britain First and all the other neo-Nazi mobs be allowed take control of the streets. What follows is anarchy and the complete breakdown of society, then a police state. I don’t know why I’m saying it must not happen, it will happen.

December 1, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Agreed. How to stop it though?

They are racist thugs. Without support of others they can never win.

The ‘others’ are ordinary people with fears real or imagined that are not being acknowledged by mainstream politics let alone addressed.

British newspaper’s like The Daily Mail are perpetuating these fears.

It will happen unless mainstream politicians grasp the nettle and begin addressing the reality we live in.

I fear that you’re right though.

• Bobbie Peel Reply

December 1, 2017 at 4:27 pm

If any politician takes hold of the nettle and changes reality as you see it, what would that mean? Closing the borders to all comers and/or sending people back whence they came?

December 1, 2017 at 4:43 pm

Not at all. That would be inhuman.

Control the numbers from here on in. An Australian like points system would do it.

A period of only allowing people with essential skills entry would help.

Repatriation is a dangerous road to travel. Convicted criminals perhaps.

Also genuine refugees would need to be exempt from a points based system.

Controlled immigration can be done with humanity. It would also protect Britain from unsustainable numbers.

A crumbling infrastructure reduces everyone’s standard of living and, humans being humans, the easiest targets to blame are immigrants.

Serious controls would, hopefully, make immigrants less vulnerable to being wrongly blamed for Britain’s ills.

December 2, 2017 at 8:47 am

I’m torn over this issue Bobbie. On one hand I understand where Neil is coming from, but on the other I think we should give the disadvantaged opportunities to make a life for themselves. I’m torn actually. I talk to my family in Scotland and they’ve hardly seen an immigrant, much less be surrounded by them, as Neil, and others would have us believe. I’m not insulting Neil here, just stating a point, which is if immigrants really want to make a life for themselves in another country they need to be respectful of that country, and by many accounts they are not. Then again when they are is it news? How do we know?

• Abby Deeter Reply

December 1, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Not certain your rude arrogance is advancing this debate. Neil has a right to an opinion just like everyone else. You don’t have to agree with him but nor do you need to attack him.

December 1, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Don’t worry Abby, I’ve a hide like a Rhino 😀

I’m enjoying the debate.

Thanks though 😘

6. jess Reply

December 1, 2017 at 5:29 pm

So these guys are the tea party, alt right on steroids from everything I have read since yesterday. The vast majority of Germans were not Nazis but they sure as hell looked away from it, as some in other countries are doing today. There is nothing silent about these people at all Neil, they are all out there for the good people in the world to be disgusted at them.

• Bobbie Peel Reply

December 1, 2017 at 5:40 pm

Correct Jess, similar scum. Like “The Jews Will Not Replace Us” guys from Charlottesville.

• jess Reply

December 1, 2017 at 6:59 pm

AYUP, that left a very nasty taste in my mouth when I saw that go down in VA Bobbie. I have been the recipient of racist attacks myself and it is fucking scary what some people think they can get away with and what they actually get away with. Some of you guys might remember my thing when I was accosted for wearing a scarf on my head, told to go back to the middle east and the broken nose I got for defending my gay best friend when he was beaten up. Remember the dude that told me, I had to present my police report online and the rest of you jumping on him for that, some babby jeebee freak that used to comment here.

December 1, 2017 at 5:59 pm

They don’t want to lose their country.

If they are allowed to feel desperate enough who knows where it’ll end?

Calling them scum won’t exactly help I wouldn’t have thought

• jess Reply

December 1, 2017 at 6:53 pm

Scum is as scum does Neil and make no mistake they ARE scum. At some point, it has to be called out for what it is with these guys. Me myself and I will no longer be sitting around feeling bad for them because they may be feeling left out from all the change going on around them. Change will happen whether or not we want it. I’ll be on the side where this shit is not tolerated.

• Bobbie Peel Reply

December 1, 2017 at 7:31 pm

Jess, you got a friend here. When it comes to calling out the bad guys, no fence sitting.

• jess Reply

December 1, 2017 at 8:07 pm

As I have said before, the only thing you get from sitting on a fence is splinters in your ass. I’m not down with that.

December 2, 2017 at 2:25 am

Anyone got a bandaid? 😬

December 2, 2017 at 8:43 am

Agreed, and am ashamed to say I’ve had more that a few splinters in my ass over the years Jess.

• jess Reply

December 2, 2017 at 10:19 am

Not me Mike, no splinters in my ass 🙂 I keep wondering if it was because I was raised by ultra liberal do gooders that caused me to be like this, or is it something that is hardwired into you.

7. Neil Bamforth Reply

December 2, 2017 at 2:29 am

Far right hard line racists are probably beyond help.

What of those who are not yet want their country to remain theirs?

Are they scum? If so how? If not then are their views understandable?

• jess Reply

December 2, 2017 at 10:17 am

Here’s the thing Neil, it is not just “your”** country to take back from whatever devil “you” might think is in the mix right now. I use the goopery, racist baggers as my litmus test, they prattle on and on about we don’t want (insert whatever is up their butts here) and you WILL do what we say or else. Um no, not happening. I am every bit as much a citizen as you are and your hiding behind some form of “help help, I’m being repressed” when it is so far from the truth to be laughable, is getting beyond tiresome for me personally and from all I can see others feel the same way. I am not going to even try working with these people, it’s like fighting a pig in the pigpen, pig loves it and you end up covered in shit. To answer the question are they scum, if they go round spouting racist, sexist, homophobic… basically “otherist” shit yes, YES they are scum and no, me personally, I won’t be trying in any way to understand them at all. You do you though and keep fighting that pig, I’m not doing it anymore.

**generic you

• Bobbie Peel Reply

December 2, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Jess, you have the gift of language I wish I had.

December 2, 2017 at 8:37 pm

So everyone with a view you don’t like is shit.

Your view is infallible.

Jolly good.

• jess Reply

December 2, 2017 at 9:19 pm

No I did not say that and you damn well know I didn’t. I said those that would go around telling the rest of us what we are to do for “their country” and hate on some of us for (insert the latest butt hurt reason here) there is no way I will try and understand them anymore. It’s not a hard concept to follow, really it’s not. You cannot be a hate filled bigoted, homophobic, sexist, racist supremacist that wants “their” country back and expect some of us to just follow along blindly and say, well their feelings are getting hurt, maybe I need to change my life to fit into the reality they want us to fit. Not me, I am tired beyond tired of trying to reach people that are not reachable. We can’t reach them Neil, we just can’t because some of them they really do not want it. The closest thing I can compare it to, in my thinking, would be an addict of some kind that you try and try and try some more to reach but you can’t do it till that person says know what, maybe this is not working for me, maybe I need to look at other things to help me out of this addiction spiral. Is it a bad thing I seem to have given up on some people, yeah I think it is for me because I personally am usually right there helping but I’m not willing to do it anymore and many people are feeling the same way I am. I’m basically suffering from outrage fatigue, like a lot of others are, and life is just too damn short to try and do the impossible.

December 3, 2017 at 4:03 am

Never stop being you. You are a very special lady xx

• jess Reply

December 3, 2017 at 10:08 am

Special, like a nice special or special like she really should be wearing a helmet anytime she goes outside special, there is a difference you know 🙂

December 3, 2017 at 3:30 pm

😂😂😂..you know what I mean!

• jess Reply

December 3, 2017 at 4:15 pm

So the helmet one then, got it 😉