All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others

by Glenn R. Geist

A High School classmate of mine, even then a man of wit and letters, once said that the test of a true intellectual was to be able to hear Rossini’s Wilhelm Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.

Of course, that was when our childhood heroes weren’t all in comic books or owned by Disney — but I’d venture another observation more in keeping with these end times.

Who can read Animal Farm without thinking of Donald Trump? If you live in Martin County Florida the answer is “everyone.”

Read: The Gang’s All Here and the Jail ain’t Half-Full

I went to a lecture last night titled “The Prophetic Vision of George Orwell & the Politics of Power: Animal Farm and 1984 ” There came a point late in the lecture when some movie and book posters appeared on the screen, one of which showed Donald Trump. The shouting began.

The book in question ended with animals outside the farmhouse looking in at the drunken pigs and the drunken farmers and noting that it was impossible to tell them apart any longer. Some people still think Trump is another normal sort of president and we need to give him a chance.

Posted by on January 28, 2018. Filed under COMMENTARY/OPINION. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

8 Responses to All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others

1. jess Reply

January 28, 2018 at 9:13 am

You guys keep mentioning Animal Farm and I downloaded it to my ebook for reading this week, now I may have to start today and I have some Ursula Le Guin reading I am finishing up after her death this week** I decided to re read The Left Hand of Darkness. Hmmm, I must be a true intellectual(wooohooo) because I can listen to the WTO and not think of the Lone Ranger. 1984 is one of my favorite books and when I saw the movie for the first time I was floored.

**My childhood heroes are all starting to die, Dolores O’Riordan, Ursula Le Guin. It needs to stop and it needs to stop right now dammit.

January 28, 2018 at 9:54 am

You can also watch Animal Farm. They made a decent movie of it, and, you can stream it on Amazon Video (make sure to select the 1999 version with Kelsey Grammar). I watched it a couple of times and it’s fairly faithful to the book. There’s no rental but you can buy it for $7.99.

• jess Reply

January 28, 2018 at 10:17 am

I like to read the books first before the movies, so I can complain to myself about how they never followed the book. I’ll be finished with Le Guin some time today, if I don’t sit around on the internet all day that is and I can start Animal Farm 🙂

2. Bobbie Peel Reply

January 28, 2018 at 10:06 am

I’ve probably said this before but I just can’t resist saying it again:

“On some great and glorious day the plain folks of this land will reach their hearts desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” – H.L. Mencken

January 28, 2018 at 10:09 am

Wow. That’s right to the point, and truthful beyond description.

• Glenn R. Geist Reply

January 29, 2018 at 8:32 am

But not only a Moron. He’s a puppet and a patsy who thinks he’s invincible and his past invisible.

3. Ron Reed Reply

January 28, 2018 at 10:30 pm

A brilliant piece of Orwell, and fits to at “T” particularly Brother Pig. Good work.

4. Bill Formby Reply

January 30, 2018 at 5:10 pm

Trump may be a moron, but he is cunning like a fox. He has isolated Rosenstein on an island by himself with both the president and congress seemingly now focused on him. They have managed to strip away all of the other seemingly honest brokers between the president and the president.