Why You Should Drink Coffee

by Glenn R. Geist

Facebook asks: What’s on your mind?  The answer is coffee. Should I have another one? I’ve been a coffee drinker from childhood – really.

Maybe that explains something maybe not, but I’ve seen one of the world’s most popular beverages wax and wane in the opinions of the fad followers, trendies and holier than thou hipsters. I’m still here.

Recent large and legitimate studies (not the kind paid for by rival beverage makers) in peer-reviewed publications, seem to show that coffee drinkers have a 64% LOWER risk of early death and about a 50% lower risk of type 2 diabetes amongst other ailments like liver disease, colorectal and other cancers and Alzheimer’s. I really would rather not have any of those things and I’ll bet you don’t either.

Related: Enjoy Your Coffee While You Can-Climate Change is Wiping It Out

The health benefits are enough to make one tolerate the horror of Starbucks and its pricing and of course, I’d be snoring right now if it weren’t for the two cups of a wonderful Jamaican bean this morning. But here’s the rub: California, that wonderful and so very hip and holy state wants to force coffee shops to tell you it causes cancer because in huge doses there’s a chemical produced during roasting that seems to cause cancer in rodents.

All sorts of things cause illness in rodents that do not in humans. Chocolate and grapes and garlic can kill your dog. I am not a dog, except metaphorically, nor am I a rat. Many things are toxic in huge quantities but are beneficial in small amounts. Water for instance.

My mother used to say that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Perhaps the sidewalks are paved with bad science as well. I’m waiting for some stable genius to notice that things that make you live longer may not be bad for you, but that may be too much to ask for in a world of warring do-gooders.

PS – the benefits are there with decaf too, so relax. Have another cup.

Posted by on January 31, 2018. Filed under Advice,COMMENTARY/OPINION. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

10 Responses to Why You Should Drink Coffee

1. jess Reply

January 31, 2018 at 10:59 am

I don’t like coffee at all. I am a green or black tea drinker. It smells awful to my nose and I just can’t even with it.

January 31, 2018 at 3:11 pm

I used to hate coffee, at least until about 1989 when I learned to love it, and started drinking it in great quantities. I learned it went well with a cigarette. My love for coffee (and tea) never went away, but, fortunately, my nicotine addiction did.

• jess Reply

January 31, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Oh my dog, my husband was a drinker all damn day of coffee. It got to the point sometimes, I got headaches with the smell of the strong assed shit he would drink all day, every single day. The coffee maker has not been used in months except once, for a huge party I had to celebrate his life shortly after we did his paddle out at the surfing spot he went to. I don’t smoke, except weed, neither did he but coffee, jeebus keeeryst if he could have had an iv of it to carry around for mainlining, he would have done it gladly, he was so addicted to it.

2. Bobbie Peel Reply

January 31, 2018 at 1:19 pm

Nothing like a cup (not a mug) of well made coffee.

3. Neil Bamforth Reply

January 31, 2018 at 1:41 pm

I drink so much coffee during the day and beer in the evening I clearly died some years ago but nobody’s told me yet 😀☕☕☕☕☕☕☕🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

January 31, 2018 at 3:12 pm

Ah, beer. I loved beer. Loved, loved and loved it. Wasn’t unusual for me to drink a 12-pack a day. No more. I’ll have a beer, or maybe two if grilling out, but that’s about it.

• Neil Bamforth Reply

February 1, 2018 at 5:54 am

I realized, only the other day, my alcohol consumption has drastically reduced but not via a conscious decision.

I knocked vodka on the head sometime ago – just on special occasions now.

Beer? Easily a dozen bottles a night plus – unless working the next day.

I suddenly realized I’m down to 5 or 6 a night now.

Must be getting old….😉🍺

4. Rachael Reply

January 31, 2018 at 6:56 pm

Jess I think I might be related to your late hubby. I drink coffee all day every day. Never bothers my sleep and never wires me.

• jess Reply

January 31, 2018 at 7:11 pm

AYUP he was the same way as far as sleep. He could drink it five minutes before going to bed and when his head hit the pillow he was out.

5. Glenn Geist Reply

February 1, 2018 at 8:49 am

One thing I learned when I had my genome done is that there are two types of caffeine metabolism – fast and slow. I’m the kind that goes back to being groggy 15 minutes after drinking it.

There’s no accounting for taste, but I drink a few a day, usually with breakfast of course, but I have an espresso machine and one of those little pots to make greek/turkish coffee and I love the stuff. I had my first cup when my great grandmother gave me one for breakfast when I was three. It was more milk than coffee, but I was hooked.

It tastes a lot better than other things that are supposed to be good for you though. Coffee yes, broccoli no.