Immigration Makes the Negative Side of the News in Britain

by Neil Bamforth

Regular commenter Bobbie Peel accused me of always writing negatively, especially about ethnic minorities. Having mulled this accusation over for a couple of days it has occurred to me that Bobbie is absolutely rrrrrrr – bear with me it’ll come – rrrrrr – I’m nearly there – Bobbie is absolutely right.

There. That wasn’t so hard to say now was it?

Well, yes actually. We never like agreeing with criticisms about ourselves, do we?

Well, I don’t anyway.

So – especially for Bobbie, not to mention our Jess who has always tried to open my eyes to the 21st Century, let’s get positive.

Britain has always had a well-earned reputation for acceptance. Acceptance of other cultures, faiths, and immigrants in general.

We are, rightly I think, proud of our ability to be this way.

Yes. It is true to say our naturally welcoming nature has been rather tried for some time but, on the whole, it remains intact.

After all, ancestrally, us ‘indigenous’ Brits are descended from immigrants.

Romans, French, Scandanavians – Vikings more accurately – along with a smattering of Irish, Spanish and even – oh dear – Germans.

Up until the 1950’s, that was, more or less, it.

In the 1950’s African Carribean immigrants began to arrive.

It has to be said they didn’t always receive a warm welcome.

Read: Britain Must Ban Some Faith Schools

Fortunately for us, they were made of sterner stuff. They made their homes here and enriched our country by their presence.

Asian immigration began in large numbers in the 1960’s.

Again they were not initially welcomed everywhere but, again, they settled regardless and also enriched Britain by their presence.

Britain’s reputation for welcoming immigrants is deserved but, it has to be said, it did take a while before they were accepted.

Fortunately, the majority of Brits saw the pluses of immigration.

Hard working, decent honest people just had to be accepted – and they were by most.

My ‘negative’ contributions are not wrong. We do have serious issues be it black gangs in London or Islamists scattered about the place but Bobbie is right.

The ‘negative’ side of immigration makes the news. The positive benefits that far outweigh the negatives generally don’t.

Mr. Patel who works 15 hours a day serving his local community running his corner shop isn’t newsworthy. The fact he spends time chatting with elderly customers who he knows are lonely doesn’t make a ripple.

The other Mr. Patel who is part of a gang grooming young white girls gets the headlines.

The fact that Mr. Patel number one is by far in the majority and Mr. Patel number two is part of a tiny minority is irrelevant.

Mr. Patel number two sells newspapers and makes juicy TV news viewing.

Without immigration, Britain would be nowhere near the 6th largest economy on the planet.

Britain. A tiny island off the coast of Europe and the 6th largest economy on the planet.

Not because we, the indigenous Brits, made it so, albeit we’ve played our part.

It’s because of the hard-working immigrants from The Carribean, the Indian sub-continent, Ireland, China, and Africa.

Yes, we have immigration problems. Yes, I write about them. Yes, some consider my meanderings negative and, yes, they are.

Maybe focusing on the positives will help make life better? Who knows?

A bit more of a cheerful place to be though eh?

Come to think on it.

I’ve actually enjoyed writing positive things about immigration.

Mind you I bet no bugger reads it. It isn’t newsworthy being positive ๐Ÿ˜‰

Cheers Bobbie – and our Jess of course.

Posted by on March 10, 2018. Filed under COMMENTARY/OPINION. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

21 Responses to Immigration Makes the Negative Side of the News in Britain

1. Michael John Scott Reply

March 10, 2018 at 8:55 am

So you are good with immigration old bean?

• Neil Bamforth Reply

March 10, 2018 at 9:10 am

Sensibly controlled yes. Absolutely.

2. jess Reply

March 10, 2018 at 9:06 am

Hate to tell you, California is the 6th largest economy worldwide according to some of the reporting, UK is 5th. We have 40 million people that live here and that is bigger than a whole lot of countries. Also, we have the highest number of undocumented people in the US, 3 million approximately, and somehow we manage it without belittling or dehumanizing those that are immigrants, undocumented or not.
    That being said, well yeah if it bleeds it leads has always been the case with news and goings on etc. When the tea party came on the scene, 12 of them gathered could get international news crews to ask them questions but a million women marching in the streets worldwide got barely a mention. It’s just how it is. We are a minority majority state right here and for the most part it works. Those roving bands of gangs you speak of are the outliers Neil, there are more good people in society than there are bad. You see it everyday in small ways, this one collecting monies for a kid with (insert this here), you see it when fund raiser goes up for someone that needs attention for their animal, donations to this that or the other. Communities come together to help. Mr Rogers, well known tv show dude here, said it best, when things look bad look for the helpers, they are always there<<<paraphrasing.
    It's really nice to know you can be dragged, screaming and kicking into this whole new century by me or by anyone really. I think you listen to me because your daughter told you that you need to open your mind sometimes ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Neil Bamforth Reply

March 10, 2018 at 10:00 am

Just a bit?????????

• Neil Bamforth Reply

March 10, 2018 at 1:07 pm

Oi! Cheeky mare ๐Ÿ˜œ

March 10, 2018 at 9:49 am

Then you’ve got that awful Jeff Sessions, no doubt acting on orders from the offal in the Oval. Californians can’t be happy with him and his lies and threats about sanctuary cities and immigration.

• jess Reply

March 10, 2018 at 9:59 am

He was just here this week doing his impression of a keebler elf up in Sacramento. Jerry Brown, our next governor Gavin Newsome and the mayor from Oakland basically told him to fuck off with his bullshit. They were nicer with their words than I would have been.

3. Bobbie Peel Reply

March 10, 2018 at 10:13 am

Remarkable.

I agree that pockets of radicals and roaming thugs are a severe strain on society, always been true, but these days the ills of society are live on TV, 24/7.

I have no idea what the answer to our problems are, would be nice if we had good governance, we donโ€™t, so itโ€™s up to us.

• Neil Bamforth Reply

March 10, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Same here on the governance…it is indeed up to us

• Neil Bamforth Reply

March 10, 2018 at 1:08 pm

Remarkable? Why thank you. I am aren’t I? ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

4. Cherries Reply

March 10, 2018 at 3:41 pm

Wonder why N/N has changed his tune? Is it because like UKIP he’s realised he’s a loser, not sure why really bit odd after all the previous missives ??

• Neil Bamforth Reply

March 10, 2018 at 6:20 pm

You really aren’t worth bothering with…so I won’t

• Neil Bamforth Reply

March 11, 2018 at 3:43 am

For the record though – UKIP’s only purpose for existing was to try and get a referendum on the EU and for Britain to leave.

Hell of a way to lose eh?

5. william a. formby Reply

March 11, 2018 at 12:11 am

Neil, it has been on served somewhere, though I can’t remember where , that by and large humans have largely managed to dwell together pretty well on this earth with out the meddling of organize instutions declaring certain arbitrary boundaries. I will put forththe idea that the newly, often used tribalism has begun to define a more somewhat revised view of the problemsame we see today. Nothing new here. What is new is the belief that only theor trlbalimited view are correct .

6. Neil Bamforth Reply

March 11, 2018 at 3:47 am

Tribalism indeed.

Can be quite difficult to be outside of the tribe too…whichever one it may be

7. Cherries Reply

March 11, 2018 at 7:20 am

In the words of L/C Jones, Dadโ€™s Army (bbctv) โ€˜they donโ€™t like it up emโ€™.
    I wouldnโ€™t bother with you either but donโ€™t want our American friends believing weโ€™re all like you.

• Neil Bamforth Reply

March 11, 2018 at 7:43 am

Good grief! The worlds in enough trouble without there being more of me!

I felt like not bothering as you clearly didn’t bother reading the article.

Criticize by all means – a la Bobbie and Jess – but please do me the courtesy of reading first?

Then I’m cool with whatever you say.

Deal?

8. Pingback: Immigration Makes Negative Side of News in Britain – FairAndUNbalanced.com