Credit: Gage Skidmore

by Susie Madrak

According to a story in the New York Times, Betsy DeVos has pretty much shut down a special team in the Education Department that was investigating abuses by for-profit colleges.

Completely coincidentally, I’m sure, DeVos has hired many of the officials whose schools were under investigation.

Under the Obama administration, the team was looking into advertising, recruitment practices, and job placement claims at several schools — including DeVry Education Group.

Now Julian Schmoke, a former dean at DeVry, is the team’s new supervisor.

And so on.

The worst six months of my life was spent working at one of the largest for-profit “colleges.” Any sleazy practice you can think of, they did. I didn’t find out until they were shut down by the feds that they were already operating under a federal order to stop the practices. (They ignored the order.)

Here is what I learned, and I want to spread the word: Don’t allow anyone you care about attend for-profit colleges. They lie about the value of their degrees (one of the reasons I did poorly was that I refused to lie), most employers won’t hire you, and it will cost you a fortune for a worthless piece of paper. One of the reasons so many of them now offer four-year programs is because their crappy credits aren’t transferable anywhere else.

They are scams.

At the very least, there is nothing you can get at a for-profit school that you can’t get at your local community college — cheaper, and much better quality. At worst, you will get substandard training that won’t be good for much, and you’ll be paying an inflated loan for a very long time.

Originally published at Crooks&Liars.

Posted by on May 14, 2018. Filed under NEWS I FIND INTERESTING. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

6 Responses to Trump Lieutenant DeVos Virtually Shuts Down Team Investigating For-Profit Colleges

1. Bill Formby Reply

May 14, 2018 at 1:58 pm

She just made it OK for anyone to start a college and offer degrees while fleecing the students of an enormous amount of money aided and abetted by the U. S Department of Education. I have spent 15 years in the online teaching business and there are so many out there already that it is unreal. Most had to go away under Obama but without oversight they will spring up every where. There is an organization out there that will accredit them but it means nothing except that they pay dues. They cannot get accredited by any of the regional accrediting agencies, and their degrees will mean nothing to anyone.

May 14, 2018 at 3:22 pm

I agree Bill. As you know I taught at an online institution for years, and watched it deteriorate over time. It was once an excellent institution that offered a sound education until it wasn’t. I had students who could barely spell their own name, but had the necessary tools to sign their FAFSA. I got the hell out of there and will never again teach at an online university.

• Bill Formby Reply

May 15, 2018 at 4:07 pm

Mike, I don’t know if you have kept up with this but Kaplan was recently purchased by Purdue University and is now known as Purdue Global. They seem to be keeping the same people in place so I don’t know to what degree they will be changing things. They had actually made some fairly significant changes before I took my leave of absence. I was on the the Faculty Senate and there were some significant concerns from the faculty over quality control. They had started a new admissions program that would allow any student to enter conditionally for a up through their sophomore year. By that time if they were not maintaining a 2.0 GPA they dismissed from the program. I felt like this was a money maker for them. They could up the quality but allow anyone to try and essentially fail themselves out of the program. I did not teach at the lower level but I can only image the problems some these people had who were not prepared for college level work.

2. Glenn R. Geist Reply

May 15, 2018 at 9:17 am

One word: Trump University — ok, ok that’s two words, but Trump will have his revenge on any one who ever made him look foolish. I hear they’ve removed all the mirrors in the White House to that end.

• Bill Formby Reply

May 15, 2018 at 4:17 pm

Glenn, they are hitting the uninformed twice. The Department of Education only got involved in that to the extent that they told Trump that it could not call it a university because it did not meet the standards of a university. The second place they are hitting them is the Consumer Protection Bureau. The Trump monkey that was placed in charge of that agency Mick Mulvaney, is basically trying to shut it down by closing off most of its public complaints. He is the same guy that told some convention that “you are not a lobbyist if I haven’t met you yet.” This was a straight route for people who had been duped by these degree factories that were ripping off not only the potential students but also the tax payers through student loans.

3. jess Reply

May 15, 2018 at 10:30 am

I am shocked, shocked I tell you that there is fuckery afoot with this admin. Pretty soon I am not going to like them very much.