Democrats Need To Wake Up and Step Up

Robert Kennedy campaigning in 1968

by Larry Henson

Everything is in the picture you paint. If you can capture what’s really going on and get it in front of Americans who want to know then there is hope. What can you do with an apathetic citizenry that isn’t aware enough to know what danger our way of life is facing?

How do you convince others who have been taught to think that anything derogatory said aloud about the country we all live in is treasonous? Keep in mind that these “citizens” can overlook any, what would be catastrophic to anyone else, issue that may arise from a so-called man of ill repute.

This cad that they are all entranced by has risen to power by using the “gimmick” that he is some kind of old-school bad-ass that you had better not fuck with but is instead a two-bit con man pimp who will sell his name to anyone with enough dollars and sell you and your country along with it. As long as there is money in it for him or his plastic family he will never stop abusing his authority.

He will place all of us in danger of nuclear annihilation because he knows they’ve got a place for him and his spawn to go to survive. He has lived a life of lies. Look back into his history and you can find it without any effort. You’re not prying. He’s bragged more about himself than any of the twenty greatest blow-hards in all of known history. Written and oral.

He is a wonder to me. I wonder how in the hell the education system allowed our general population to fall to such a low level being able to comprehend what danger this idiot has placed us all in?

Where are all those old mother fuckers who marched in the streets back in the 60’s and 70’s? Where are their children? Why is it we as a nation allow ourselves to continue to turn a blind eye to the actual racism that exists without our land? Why is there not an uprising over this issue? Why is it that we allow messages like “welfare” for the poor to be misinterpreted as a negative but then allow the true meaning of “tax cuts for the wealthy” to go unchallenged as anything other than “welfare for the rich and connected?” Why is it that many of the poorest among us continue to vote against their best interests?

So, if you want to win this next election, fuck the candidate, that’s only the personality, the face to look at, give that candidate something to say that means something. Something strong enough to say that will wake up these lemmings passing themselves off as American citizens! It’s Elvis time. It’s Now or Never and that’s not hyperbole. We will either rise or fall with this next Presidential election.

Somebody needs to step up and start a movement. I suggest those interested read anything on Bobby Kennedy and then get off their asses and go to work. What was needed then is still in demand today. Nothing is any better, if we don’t lie to ourselves, things are really worse. Think not? Look up how good things were in ’68 and get back to me. For pity’s sake, the Detroit Tigers won the World Series that year against a superior team in all aspects of the game.

Anything was possible in 1968 and the future looked bright…back in 1968.

Posted by on June 12, 2018. Filed under COMMENTARY/OPINION. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

9 Responses to Democrats Need To Wake Up and Step Up

1. Glenn R. Geist Reply

June 12, 2018 at 10:07 am

The apathy is frightening, and so is the fragmented country that can’t unite against a common enemy any more. My generation has become a bit cynical about demonstrations and half of us are Trump Traitors. We won’t stand up to his destruction of our land and liberty because all we really want is tax relief.

We are all to blame.

2. Michael John Scott Reply

June 12, 2018 at 11:28 am

I’m with Glenn when it comes to cynicism. I lived through the 60’s and 70’s and joined the Army in 1968, and that was the time the “demonstrators” would lie in wait at the airports for arriving US soldiers so they could spit on them. I hated those people and everything they stood for, and the hate was fierce. In 1968 the notorious Democratic convention was held in Chicago, and riots ensued. In 1968 Bobby Kennedy and MLK were assassinated, so I’m not sure it was a good year, and certainly not the hallmark of a bright future, but at least people did something. They were vocal in their fierce opposition to the war, and I was vocal in my fierce opposition of them, all based on one experience at an airport, and that’s all it takes. I agree with the author: we need to do something.

3. Caroline Taylor Reply

June 12, 2018 at 11:54 am

I tried to organize a march protesting all things Trump, and 650 people said they were interested. I rented a hall, and, on the appointed day of the planning meeting, 10 people showed. We bought beer. At least I tried.

• jess Reply

June 12, 2018 at 12:55 pm

You got 10 people to show that would not have, had you not asked Caroline. It’s like finding 20 bucks in your jeans when you go to wash them. 20 bucks more than you had five minutes before doing your laundry.

4. Ron Reed Reply

June 12, 2018 at 12:07 pm

It’s APATHY. People give a shit, but they’re tired and don’t think there’s anything they can do to change the status quo. It’s not the old folks like me that need to do it, but the kids, like the Parkland High students that mobilized thousands against the NRA and the proliferation of guns in America. No. Those of us who were young in the ’60’s are old now, and tired.

5. jess Reply

June 12, 2018 at 12:56 pm

I am on auto pilot fatigue with it all, all of it put in front of me katie. I’ve done my usual getting out the vote and going to meetings, writing calling etc but I am getting a bit tired of hitting my head against a wall at times.

June 12, 2018 at 6:51 pm

I hear that Jess, and I don’t do half of what you do, other than publishing MMA of course. I guess that’s something.

• jess Reply

June 12, 2018 at 8:25 pm

Remember this, you have a job I don’t so I can do more things. Also you are getting info out to the book of face etc where people see it and they pass it on and they pass it on, like the old shampoo commercial. Plus you have students you are able to get info out to that may tell others. Don’t sell yourself short because you think you don’t do (insert whatever here) the same as someone else. We all do what we are able to do. I’m just used to being out there making my voice heard, so that’s what I do for now. One other thing lots of people don’t take into consideration, those of you older than I am, you guys have been out there before, maybe even protesting this same shit so it must be tiring to see nothing changes. I know some people my age think things are going along swimmingly because well abortion is legal, there is marriage equality etc so sometimes we get some apathy setting in because “surely they won’t be stupid enough to go back to the old ways of doing things” Anyone paying attention knows that attitude is way off base.

6. Bill Formby Reply

June 12, 2018 at 12:59 pm

Apathy. Easy word to say and an even easier thing to do. There is one thing about the Republican Party that I have always believed, those folks can get organized and get behind and idea and stick with it. I shall point all of my progressive friends toward Donald Trump as an example. Even though most of the Republicans would rather have someone else leading their party they have lined up behind him. The Democrats, on the other hand would never do such a thing as crazy as that. They think too much and high too many damned high principle ideals. They are also, may I say it, a bit egocentric. During the last presidential election we had the election won with either of the candidates, though more likely with Hillary. And no, she was far from perfect. But when you through Bernie in the race fighting and scratching it created a gaping hole in the Democratic ticket. The “Democrats” did not get behind her and tell fox news to go to hell much the way the Fox news tells everyone else. The results are that you have about 35% of the populace solidly behind Trump no matter what, and with Fox news working to pull another 10%, and another 20% confused and here we are behind the 8 ball again. Democrats are too smart for their own good and think too damn much.