David Davis Quits—Is Brexit Doomed to Fail?

David Davis (Getty )

by Neil Bamforth

Britain’s chief Brexit negotiator, David Davis, has resigned leaving Britain in a right old mess as regards negotiating our way out of the European Union – and next March, as things stand, we leave, deal or no deal.

As an ardent Brexiteer, I am increasingly relieved I voted to remain.

My instinct, or gut feeling if you will, was a desire to leave due to the EU’s ‘direction of travel.’ In other words its ultimate goal of a completely united Europe both politically and monetarily.

The concept is anathema to me. I am English first, British second and, well, there is no third. European certainly isn’t in there.

However, young people were quite happy at the prospect so I voted for them.

I also considered the opinion of the late, great Sir Peter Ustinov. A man I admired hugely. He would have wanted the EU to succeed so who am I to argue with so marvelous a mind as his?

Anyway. It’s a moot point now. Brexit is in such a mess it’s laughable really.

As far as anyone can tell it is still happening in March next year but, frankly, nobody knows exactly what will be happening.

There is, of course, an outside chance that it won’t happen. This eventuality will certainly be problematical from a democratic point of view but, as my daughter would be happy I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

So. There you have it. A staunch Brexiteer somewhat relieved he voted to remain.

Would I do the same if the referendum was held now? No. Absolutely not.

I would still vote remain but now to prevent the madness that has ensued – I still wouldn’t trust or particularly like the EU but, better the devil you know perhaps?

Posted by on July 9, 2018. Filed under COMMENTARY/OPINION. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

7 Responses to David Davis Quits—Is Brexit Doomed to Fail?

1. Neil Bamforth Reply

July 9, 2018 at 11:29 am

Boris Johnson has resigned as Foreign Secretary.

Madder n madder!!

July 9, 2018 at 1:33 pm

What? Your government is collapsing.

• Neil Bamforth Reply

July 9, 2018 at 2:45 pm

Kind of…I think it’s part of the plan though.

Theresa May was a remainer. Davis and Johnson leavers.

The current deal May wants is no more than half a Brexit.

I suspect Davis & Johnson will go with Rees-Mogg and push for a ‘hard Brexit’.

A hard Brexit is, basically, ‘we’re leaving, we’re giving you no money at all in settlement’.

I think this is going to get very bloody indeed….

2. jess Reply

July 9, 2018 at 12:27 pm

Well didn’t they go back tracking talking about, we’re now going to basically cherry pick how we want to go about this and the people in the EU were like fuck off that isn’t how this works. Now they want to have their cake and eat it too.

• Neil Bamforth Reply

July 9, 2018 at 1:13 pm

Some’at like that.

To be honest it should be either we leave and that’s it – we take our chances – or, given the current state of affairs, we have a second referendum saying 1) we walk away without bothering about a deal or 2) we stay in.

I can’t see there’s any other option but those now.

Much as I dislike and distrust the EU, maybe staying in won’t be too bad?

In any event it has to be walk away ‘hard Brexit’ or stay.

3. Willy Wonte Reply

July 9, 2018 at 3:18 pm

Who doesn’t the British Government just say “I’m Sorry” to those nice people in Brussels and Strasbourg, and pretend nothing happened. Politicians do that sort of thing all the time. Say you “misspoke”, the referendum wasn’t binding anyway.

• Neil Bamforth Reply

July 9, 2018 at 5:02 pm

Legally perhaps but the Prime Minister Cameron said it was.

Nice people in Brussels??? Now that’s naievity 😂

If we do end up staying maybe Brussels will learn….doubt it but who knows?