Hurricane Florence Predicted To Make Southerly Turn, Raking Coast

There has been a track change with Hurricane Florence as of the 8 AM advisory from the National Hurricane Center.

Forecasters with the National Hurricane Center say the storm will move toward the west-northwest and through Thursday, but slow down and drift along the coast by late Thursday into Friday before moving through early Saturday.

Forecasters also have adjusted the track southward, meaning a wider swath could experience Florenceโ€™s devastating storm surge and flooding.

Here’s what you need to know at a glance:

1. Florence remains a dangerous Category 4 hurricane.
  2. Florence is expected to crawl near or along the coast of the Carolinas through Saturday.
  3. This will produce catastrophic flash flooding and major river flooding.
  4. Life-threatening storm surge will occur near landfall and for some time after.
  5. Hurricane and storm surge warnings have been issued.
  6. Tropical-storm-force winds may arrive as soon as Thursday.
  7. Florence’s remnant may linger in parts of the Southeast into early next week.

In case you missed it: Hurricane Florence To Cause Catastrophic Damage In Carolinas

Posted by on September 12, 2018. Filed under COMMENTARY/OPINION. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

7 Responses to Hurricane Florence Predicted To Make Southerly Turn, Raking Coast

1. Neil Bamforth Reply

September 12, 2018 at 9:22 am

Bit breezy over there then? ๐Ÿ˜œ

September 12, 2018 at 9:35 am

I wouldn’t smile too big old bean. There’s one headed your way!

• Neil Bamforth Reply

September 12, 2018 at 10:49 am

I’ll nail my beer shed roof on tighter then ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿ˜œ

• Caroline Taylor Reply

September 12, 2018 at 9:40 am

Nothing funny about hurricanes Norman. People die, and sometimes in the thousands, like 3,000 in Puerto Rico last year. And Mike’s right in saying your turn is coming, and soon. Might be a “bit breezy” where you are in about a week.

• Neil Bamforth Reply

September 12, 2018 at 10:47 am

We had a hurricane like storm back in 88 I think. All the street were up. Trees flying past windows n stuff.

Only know cause the wife n neighbours told me. Slept right through it.

I know peeps can die in such things. I just find I’m incapable of treating life seriously…..apart from ๐Ÿบ ๐Ÿ˜€

2. Glenn R. Geist Reply

September 12, 2018 at 11:19 am

I’ve been through 3 majors. It’s not the same as a wind storm with hurricane force winds. A 13 foot wall of water moving at high speed will take out your town and those fools still remaining have a good chance of dying. It won’t even be like Katrina where the water rose slowly in comparison. Looks like Myrtle Beach could be hit almost directly now, but I heard from my relatives who live on the barrier island and to my relief they’re out of there. I just hope it’s far enough because this monster is going to flood three states. For the moment Florida which has had enough already isn’t in any cross hairs at the moment. But there’s time.

This is going to be a test for Donald (who gives a shit) Trump, with funds already depleted for our unneeded “border security” boondoggle.

3. Bill Formby Reply

September 14, 2018 at 11:14 am

Been through a few of these things myself and they really are noting to fool around with either. They keep saying it is all about the water doing the most damage and the biggest threat to life. That is true. The warm waters create heat that feed these things. What is interesting is that people know about these hurricanes days in advance and yet many of them end up being trapped by them. It is like saying there is a train coming you must move of the tracks and then not doing it. The you get smacked with it and wonder what went wrong, Duh! Of course if you are poor and don’t have the means to leave as is some times the case. well just make sure you can get to your roof. Comedian Ron White talking about some guy who was getting in shape to go out and fight Hurricane Katrina and offered this analogy: It is not THAT the wind is blowing 135 miles per hour that will get you, it is What the wind is blowing 135 miles per hour will kill you. I you get a stop sign blown through your spleen at that speed it doesn’t matter how many sit ups you did that mornings you are still going to be just as dead. I do remember many years ago when Hurricane Cammile came through the Gulf and almost wiped the Mississippi coast off the map a group of about two dozen people went down to the Beach at Biloxi to welcome the hurricane. They found members of the group as far North as Jackson in various states of demise. I wounder if we could get Trump to try that.