Doctor Who Begs the Question “Who Is That Girl?”

by Neil Bamforth

Well. It happened: Doctor Who finally returned to our screens and, for the first time, the character is a woman; actress Jodie Whittaker to be precise.

Not only my personal verdict but, apparently, the verdict of viewers in general, she was absolutely fantastic!

I was dubious. I was doubtful. I was suspicious that political correctness had crept in to change the Doctors sex. I was so very very wrong.

Doctor Who has always been played as a man. An alien Time Lord who regenerates after death he may be, but he was always a man.

William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Christopher Ecclestone, David Tennent, Matt Smith, Peter Capaldi and, of course, a nod to Peter Cushing in a couple of spin-off movies.

She was magnificent. I can’t think of enough superlatives to describe her debut.

“Why are you calling me madam?” She asked a bemused police officer.

“Because you’re a woman”

“I am? Half an hour ago I was a grey-haired Scotsman”

Funny, sassy, courageous, slightly surreal but, most of all, superb.

Personally, I did feel the franchise needed a bit of a kickstart again. As much as I love it, there was a slightly worrying sensation that, without something dramatic, it was approaching its sell-by date.

Wow! What a kickstart! What a performance.

Jodie Whittaker? As an avid Whovian, I can pay you no greater compliment than to say “You are the Doctor. Heart and soul”.

I am absolutely as chuffed as could be that my doubts were absolutely and totally blown out of the water.

Go watch it!!!!

Posted by on October 8, 2018. Filed under COMMENTARY/OPINION. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

13 Responses to Doctor Who Begs the Question “Who Is That Girl?”

1. Timmy Mahoney Reply

October 8, 2018 at 6:32 pm

I LOVE DOCTOR WHO, and love Jodie!

2. Joe Hagstrom Reply

October 8, 2018 at 6:46 pm

I’m a John Pertwee guy myself. Capaldi was decent but I couldn’t understand half of what he said.

3. jess Reply

October 8, 2018 at 9:22 pm

“A woman!” “No! Don’t be ridiculous,” came the cry from so many fans when Jodie Whittaker was revealed as the first female incarnation”

My man, you were one of them what said alien time lords should be men, if I am not mistaken. If I wanted to, I could go look back in the archives and find my proof when I said it’s an alien and can be male or female, but I’m just going to do an I told you so instead 🙂

• Neil Bamforth Reply

October 9, 2018 at 1:02 am

If you read it properly Jess you’ll find the bit were I say ‘I was wrong’ 😘

• jess Reply

October 10, 2018 at 12:24 pm

Oh I know, but it’s not stopping me from doing an I told you so 😉

• Neil Bamforth Reply

October 10, 2018 at 2:02 pm

😜😘

• Glenn R. Geist Reply

October 9, 2018 at 9:36 am

<i?Petitio principii. All things sound more learned in Latin.

Thank you for explaining that. I’ve alienated too many people by being Doctor Syntax and it’s time someone else took up the cause. It needs to be done!

• Neil Bamforth Reply

October 9, 2018 at 11:21 am

Que? 😀

• Neil Bamforth Reply

October 9, 2018 at 12:16 pm

Anyroad…it was the editor who came up with the title 😂😂😂😂

• Glenn R. Geist Reply

October 10, 2018 at 10:03 am

I really should give up on the “begging the question ” issue – and about 40 others, but I don’t it seems. After all I’m the guy who still makes a distinction between “because of” and “due to”

I don’t do it to annoy people – I just can’t help it.

• Neil Bamforth Reply

October 10, 2018 at 11:34 am

Beer helps 😀👍🍺

4. Neil Bamforth Reply

October 9, 2018 at 11:33 am

Oh! Unforgiveable!!! I forgot the late great John Hurt who played ‘The War Doctor’!!!!….I humbly apologise