Election Day 2018: A Vote To Save Yourselves

by Gregory B. Gonzalez

Okay, millennial friends—I know some of you are probably still stinging from what I wrote a while ago, but you should know that I wasn’t serious when I told you NOT to vote in the midterm elections. I mean, come on, that alone should have been your first clue! After all, what kind of moron would actually tell you to stay home on election day?

Besides the Republicans, I mean.

We need you, we need ALL OF YOU. Every last single one of you. I don’t care if you turn eighteen on November 6th- get your ass to your local polling place and vote like your life depends on it, because IT DOES.

I know I sound like an alarmist, but I’m not. After two years in office, you’ve seen what that tangerine lunatic is capable of, and he’s literally losing it on a daily basis. He doesn’t have any grasp on reality whatsoever, and at his age, that ain’t good. It’s even worse being that he’s the President.

But Trump isn’t our only problem- it’s the GOP, too. They are pretty much using Trump to push through their garbage agenda. Pretty soon, abortion rights, gay rights, women’s rights, the environment, they’ll all be in the toilet. Unless you’re completely blind, you can see it happening already. Hell, you can feel it.

I ain’t gonna lie to you. Do I expect the Democrats to save us? Hell no! But at the very least, they can put the brakes on that orange ape and level the playing field.

As a wise man wrote last week, “The sad fact is most millennials will not vote.”

What they don’t understand is this: Not voting IS voting. Not voting IS voting to remove Social Security and Medicare from their future well-being. Not voting IS voting for dirtier air and water and accelerated global warming. Not voting IS surrendering their future to eternal war with Wall Street and corporate rule, sprinkled with racial discrimination, evangelical puritanism. Not voting IS driving another nail into the coffin of democracy.

But they have cool apps, “likes,” and games on their screens. So what else matters?

“Have a great future, kids. Just don’t say we didn’t warn you.”

I don’t think I could have put it any better than that.

Listen, I was young once. I know what it was like to cruise through life without a care in the world. But when it came to doing my civic duty, I did it. Enthusiastically. If you truly don’t think your vote matters, it does. But you can’t do it alone.

One person screaming can be ignored, tens of millions of people screaming can be heard for miles and miles.

In my last article to millennials, I was trying to anger you all into voting. I honestly thought that trying to inspire you was a waste of time because I didn’t think you would listen. A lot of you got pissed off at me, but I did what I thought I had to. I’m not asking you to vote to save us. I’m asking you to vote to save yourselves.

The time has come to take a stand. The time has come now to draw a line. Time to stand for what you believe.

Posted by on November 5, 2018. Filed under COMMENTARY/OPINION. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

14 Responses to Election Day 2018: A Vote To Save Yourselves

1. jess Reply

November 5, 2018 at 1:22 pm

I voted already last week so I can drive people to the polls the way I always do on the actual day and make calls in the am to some of the eastern states. Something else I can blame on the rents, being an active participant in my community 🙂

November 5, 2018 at 1:28 pm

I voted several weeks ago by mail, which is certainly convenient. I think you are very lucky to have the rents you have.

• jess Reply

November 5, 2018 at 7:31 pm

Yeah they were really good people that expected my participation in all things community oriented.

• Caroline Taylor Reply

November 5, 2018 at 9:55 pm

Were Jess? Sadness … 🙁

• jess Reply

November 6, 2018 at 11:38 am

AYUP. I haven’t had my parents around me since I was in my mid 20s. I am 37 now. Mike and a couple of them here are my surrogate dads and have been for many many years, they watch over me. I have led a very interesting life Caroline. If I wrote the story, no one would believe me 🙂

2. Rachael Reply

November 5, 2018 at 1:30 pm

Certainly a huge improvement over your last voting post. This one is reasoned, and well thought out, and you aren’t calling people names. Very nice and well written.

3. Ron Reed Reply

November 5, 2018 at 3:47 pm

Keep up the good work Greg! EVERYBODY needs to help get out the vote and they need to vote BLUE!

4. Jerry Girard Reply

November 5, 2018 at 6:29 pm

You make a good point about ‘no votes’ Greg, but people I’ve talked to just don’t get it. I think a lot of it is just laziness.

5. Gregory B. Gonzalez Reply

November 5, 2018 at 11:22 pm

So based on your response to this article, is it safe to assume that I’m no longer on your shit list, Jess?

• jess Reply

November 6, 2018 at 11:39 am

Never, you will never be on that list Greg. I will just tell you what I am feeling about things when I am feeling them, it’s what friends do with friends.

6. Bill Formby Reply

November 6, 2018 at 12:12 pm

Greg, I think you know you always have a home here. I know it is presumptuous for me to say that since this is MMA and not MBA. All of us, from time to time, except Jess probably irritate irritate a few others. That’s what happens in families and trust me, MMA is a family.

• jess Reply

November 6, 2018 at 12:57 pm

Oh don’t leave me out of it. I know I irritate people Bill, if I didn’t I wouldn’t be human. In fact I am irritating someone I met recently. I made a very poor life choice a few weeks ago and am paying dearly for it. Before you ask, no…thankfully no sexytimes were involved but I just found out he is a dyed in the wool, card carrying gooper and I just cannot, I cannot even with them so he is tweaked I won’t go out with him anymore because of his politics.

7. Gregory B. Gonzalez Reply

November 6, 2018 at 4:27 pm

That’s good to know, though I am kinda disappointed because I thought I was next on the list. (Kidding.) Mike would never kick me off MMA unless I turned into a Trumper. Maybe not even then. Mike and I don’t always see eye to eye sometimes, but he never dictates to me what to write about. But I’ll tell ya, as much as I love my fans, having Jess around makes it just a little bit better. 😊

• jess Reply

November 7, 2018 at 4:15 pm

Sorry my man, you were not in the vicinity of me when I met gooperhead. I cannot believe I fell for his act for over three weeks talking to him before I decided yes I’ll go out with you nice guy, other than you are way too pro life and THAT is a deal breaker for me. My bullshit detector must be broken right now because I did not see it at all. I blame my best friend because he’s the asshole that introduced us, at a house party I was having for another friend of ours for her bday. I should have known something was up when dude started asking like really personal questions about my home and how could I afford to live the way I live when I had no job etc etc. He was like totally way too into being a nosy fucker.