The Florida Swamp Voted and the Florida Swamp Won

Now and again the clumps of people raised the cheer of the gratefully oppressed.

– James Joyce, The Dubliners-

Florida now has an unambiguously racist incompetent governor who brags that his only qualification is fellatory subservience to Trump.

Florida may have elected a senator who is one of the biggest corporate thieves alive today, having defrauded all of us. Much of this state depends on Medicare and yet. . . Scott has cost Florida millions to defend against other charges.

We all know it and we know that when he simply accused rival Bill Nelson of having done the same, we know he was an unrepentant con man. Scott has used his office to make hundreds of millions of dollars for himself. And Florida elected him senator.

The Swamp voted yesterday and the Swamp won.

Florida hangs down like the tail of a guilty dog when the morning reveals the mess on the bedroom carpet.

Florida hangs down like the limp member of the old South,
barely even able to screw itself any more.

Florida, where Jesus appears on breakfast toast and moldy shower curtains,

where you can walk its great length on the roofs of churches without touching the ground

Where the Devil shouts from every screen

and every place we look are the faces of the gleefully damned.

UPDATE: No winner has been declared in the Florida Senatorial race.  A recount is likely…

Posted by on November 7, 2018. Filed under COMMENTARY/OPINION. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

11 Responses to The Florida Swamp Voted and the Florida Swamp Won

1. jess Reply

November 7, 2018 at 11:12 am

I thought the senate race went into a recount? I just know my number one asshole got gone Scott Walker is out of here.

November 7, 2018 at 12:25 pm

That’s mentioned in the update at the bottom of the article, and YAY on Scott Walker.

• Glenn R. Geist Reply

November 7, 2018 at 12:32 pm

as I said “May have” elected a Senator, but the odds are great that old snake eyes is movin’ on up to bigger opportunities to lie, cheat and steal.

November 7, 2018 at 1:07 pm

I hate Scott more than Trump. I didn’t think that was possible.

• jess Reply

November 7, 2018 at 4:03 pm

There are more than a few of them I hate. Not to worry though, Gavin Newsom is mah daddy now 😉 More of a kick to the face of Trump courtesy of California.

2. Glenn R. Geist Reply

November 7, 2018 at 12:30 pm

A recount is mandatory but it’s rather rare that these things overturn elections in Florida. Perhaps there’s cause for hope, but looking at where hope has left me in the past I can’t afford it any more. Florida is like an abusive spouse and in those situations hope is dangerous.

3. Mark Willis Reply

November 7, 2018 at 1:19 pm

I’ve never lived in Florida longer than two weeks a year when we travel to West Palm Beach to stay at a friend’s condo on the beach. That makes for a nice annual vacation, but I wouldn’t want to live in Florida full time, primarily because of the oppressive heat and the constant threat of hurricanes. What I find most puzzling is the Sunshine State’s penchant for electing rich, nasty nutters like Rick Scott, and now Ron DeSantis. Is it because Florida has a large population of rich senior citizens?

4. Dolphin not Porpoise Two Reply

November 7, 2018 at 1:36 pm

I live in Boca and have become accustomed to the heat and hurricanes, but not to the bizarre politics that is endemic to the state. Florida is owned by the rich and retired, and they dictate the mood and madness in Tallahassee, and change is anathema.

5. Glenn R. Geist Reply

November 7, 2018 at 4:35 pm

The heat doesn’t last longer than the cold up North. For the next 5 or 6 months it’s like heaven but without the angels. It got a lot hotter in Chicago for what that’s worth, only not for as long

You can’t blame it on rich senior citizens. I’m one after all, but support seems to run the gamut – trailer park to Mansion. You can’t blame it entirely on low IQ either or racism. The only real common factor apparent to me is Fox News and the world of fear, rage and delusion they sell.

One possible factor locally is the large proportion of retired military, but then I know a lot of retired military who are Democrats. Who knows – maybe it’s the water. This county refuses to fluoridate it because it’s a communist plot – which suggests something, but I’m not sure what. . .

6. Jerry Girard Reply

November 7, 2018 at 10:14 pm

I live in Tallahassee, and I’m with Glenn when it comes to talking weather. Rather be here than in Chicago, where it not only gets freakin’ hot it gets cold, with snow no less. I’ll take our weather any day. But the politics, well, I just don’t know about that because many are from somewhere else and have just moved here to get away from the cold and snow. I expect the country is no different, only Florida gets a bad rap because it’s Florida after all.

7. Diane Potter Reply

November 8, 2018 at 7:56 am

I am so disappointed by the FL. election results I stayed in bed all day yesterday. We keep electing awful people so does that mean we are awful people. So sad and frustrating.