Charlottesville Killer Asked for Mercy and Got Justice Instead

In this Aug. 12, 2017, file photo, people fly into the air as a vehicle is driven into a group of protesters demonstrating against a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Va. (Ryan M. Kelly/The Daily Progress via AP, File)

by Michael John Scott

James Alex Fields Jr. pleaded guilty to avoid the death penalty, then pleaded for mercy in the hope of avoiding a life sentence. But he didn’t get a lot of mercy Friday from a federal judge in a Charlottesville courtroom.  What he got instead was justice!

The 22-year-old white supremacist will spend the rest of his life in prison for driving his car into a crowd of people at a neo-Nazi rally in 2017 and killing Heather Heyer. Dozens more were seriously injured.

“I apologize for the hurt and loss I’ve caused,” said Fields before his sentencing. “Every day I think about how things could have gone differently and how I regret my actions. I’m sorry.”

Fields was sentenced Friday on federal hate crime charges, and he will be sentenced on separate state charges next month. Fields received 29 life sentences, one for each of the federal hate crimes he pleaded guilty to, including the murder of Heyer.

Parole for the Charlottesville killer is not an option. US District Court Judge Michael Urbanski said Fields’ actions were clearly premeditated and the evidence “doesn’t demonstrate a crime born out of impulse, youth, or mental illness.”

Among those who spoke in court was Susan Bro, mother of Heyer. “I’d like to see him find meds to help his mind to heal,” she said, per CNN. “I don’t know if Mr. Fields can ever be trusted in society. I hope he can heal someday and help others heal, too.”

Posted by on June 29, 2019. Filed under NEWS I FIND INTERESTING. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

8 Responses to Charlottesville Killer Asked for Mercy and Got Justice Instead

1. jess Reply

June 29, 2019 at 12:08 pm

Hold on, let me look for my sympathy, I left it somewhere around here a moment ago just cannot remember where I put it. All I have to say to people like him is … Bye Felicia.

• Bill Formby Reply

June 29, 2019 at 1:32 pm

You are a hard-hearted woman Jess, but you are right that he deserved no pity.

• jess Reply

June 29, 2019 at 2:23 pm

AYUP for them what deserves it, they get my pity. The young woman he killed, her and her mom and their family, they get my pity, him nope he doesn’t deserve any of it. He gets to live with what he has done every single day of his life and I hope it’s a really long one. Big tough guy was up there crying to get mercy after he was all acting tough when he was doing his Nazi cosplay at the riots with the rest of them so fuck him with a rusty chainsaw even. I hate people like that with the heat of a thousand suns for hurting people just going about being good citizens protesting their government.

2. Michael John Scott Reply

June 29, 2019 at 4:57 pm

Fuck him, and not in a pleasant way. He represents the ultimate Trump, as do so many who, on this day, mourn him. Fuck him, and his family, and all those who loved him. Fuck him.

• ken WOOD Reply

July 4, 2019 at 7:50 am

NOW NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

3. Glenn Geist Reply

June 30, 2019 at 8:10 am

The sentence was merciful if you compare it to what he dealt out. No matter how angry we get, we need to stop the circle of hate.

June 30, 2019 at 9:27 am

You make a good point. Unfortunately, these white supremacists are becoming more active, and more organized. This should come as no surprise given who sits in the Oval Office.

• jess Reply

June 30, 2019 at 12:38 pm

This is why you are a way better person than me Glenn, I’m not in a merciful mood towards these people at all because I have been hit with this shit on a personal level. I think I told you guys, how I got my nose busted but not broken thankfully because it is a good nose, when I jumped in to fight to help my best friend when he was being beaten to a pulp because he is gay. I know I told Mike. This young woman was doing nothing but protesting like I do, like you guys probably did when you were younger maybe and she was killed for it.
      So for me, and probably many others I will let other people heap the mercy on this guy and others like them but for me, I am keeping the dislike for him alive because it motivates me to do better and to keep marching and it keeps me on the good side of things and keeps me out on the streets, wanting to make things better. Jess jumps off the soap box now.