Trump is Killing America—US Seeing Record Rates In ‘Deaths of Despair’

West Virginia’s drug overdose problem is “mind-boggling.” (Getty Images/Darwin Brandis)

by Michael John Scott

According to a new report, death stalks the streets of America, as mortality rates from drug overdoses, alcohol, and suicides have reached an all-time high. One region of the country is especially hard-hit, as NBC News cites a survey from the Commonwealth Fund health advocacy group which takes a close look at 2017 data from all 50 states and Washington, DC.

The organization examed nearly four dozen factors that affect residents’ health—and the mentioned “deaths of despair” are showing troublesome numbers, particularly when it comes to drug ODs in certain states.

Shockingly, “the rate of growth in drug overdose deaths in West Virginia is absolutely mind-boggling,” lead author David Radley says, citing a 450% death rate increase there between 2005 and 2017.

West Virginia isn’t alone as other states with equally worrisome stats from deadly drug overdoses include Ohio, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Delaware, and New Hampshire, as well as DC. Suicide rates, meanwhile, “rose more sharply between 2016 and 2017 than during any other one-year period in recent history,” the report notes, per Arkansas Online.

There may be a sliver of hope, however, at least with regard to drug overdoses. Per Time, new data out of the Center for Disease Control notes that the rate for fatal drug overdoses in the US dropped just a bit from 2017 to 2018, breaking a nearly 20-year upward trend.

In 2017, the age-adjusted death rate for drug overdoses was 21.7 deaths per every 100,000 people, while by the end of the first half of 2018, that number had fallen to 20.8.

Is it coincidence that following the election of Donald Trump, more and more people find themselves in the depths of despair?  I think not.  Americans have been robbed of hope, and each day brings nothing but more fear and sadness.

Posted by on June 12, 2019. Filed under COMMENTARY/OPINION. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

12 Responses to Trump is Killing America—US Seeing Record Rates In ‘Deaths of Despair’

1. jess Reply

June 12, 2019 at 12:48 pm

I know I’ve been feeling frustrated and angrier than I typically do with this assboil in office. It just seems like everyday there is a new outrage that needs to be dealt with and it’s overload. Which is why my good friends, I am doing not a lot this summer except helping out with some non profit groups up in our capitol city of Sacramento and hanging with my guy when we have time and surfing till I go back to teaching after summer break. AYUP yours truly got a full time, well four days a week full time teaching gig at the school I have been teaching at. Continuation school for kids that fall through the cracks for whatever reason and it suits me. I get one on one time with students and can work them like little donkeys so they don’t fail.
    One of the kids graduated yesterday and he gave me the loveliest letter to thank me for the last few months of my teaching him. He said he had given up but he had been eavesdropping on me when I thought I was having a private sob with my best friend. Figured the shit I had been through and came out the other side, he could deal with what he was going through with some help. He barely passed but pass he did and now he is joining the military, not my choice but he figures it will give him the discipline he needs. THAT is why I got into teaching.

June 12, 2019 at 12:55 pm

I love when my students send me letters of appreciation and keep me updated on their lives. Just this morning, one of my former students who had been working at my vet’s office happily told me she had landed an entry-level job with the State Attorney’s Office. Makes it all worthwhile when you hear the success stories.

• jess Reply

June 12, 2019 at 1:07 pm

This is my first year where I have seen kids actually graduate because most of the time it was just subbing for me and getting just a couple of these letters has had me in tears. First person I wanted to call, nope not the one you would think. My mom, I wanted to thank her for instilling the love of learning in me, even though at the time I was not as appreciative as she might like 🙂

June 12, 2019 at 1:14 pm

Age has a way of making us more appreciative of a lot of things. Take me, for example, I’m as appreciative as fuck.

2. Jerry G Reply

June 12, 2019 at 2:08 pm

Good article. When I wake up and turn on the news I pray to see that Breaking NEWS banner and frantic talking heads announcing that fat bastards demise.

3. Glenn Geist Reply

June 13, 2019 at 10:11 am

I wrote something on Facebook today in response to an article suggesting that D Day was less dangerous than the country today in terms of gun violence. In fact gun murders are decreasing, gun accidents are low and stable but suicide is, as you say soaring and has been since our operations in Iraq. So have deaths due to drugs. I suggest that many of the gun murders are also related to drug distribution and sales.

Still I don’t see the well financed publicity behind suicide prevention even though it’s killing far, far more people directly and indirectly. War veterans and drug addicts certainly make up a large part of people depressed and hopeless enough to commit suicide. I’m sure those who are sick and can’t get medical care. Those with dementia and debilitating disease who are told to go to an emergency room often take things into their own hands.

We ignore such people and we insult such people when we thank them for their service and walk away like in some biblical parable.

4. Bill Formby Reply

June 13, 2019 at 12:28 pm

Mike, I am like you with former students. I enjoy reading about them and hearing about them. I have several that went on to law school and a couple are now judge, police officers, attorneys, and quite a few are with the FBI and other federal agencies.
    Like Jess I will be glad when Drumpf is gone. Just the sight him on TV makes me angry, I am not sure which, if any, of the Dems can beat him though. It is interesting that he changed his mind on the Hyatt Act and the press is going nuts whil Trump continues to lie and sing his own praise and no one says a thing. He is pitiful, but the most dangerous man in America.

• jess Reply

June 13, 2019 at 2:16 pm

Well here is some good news Bill. As all of you know here I am a HUGE HUGE fan of anything supernatural and that goes for the show with Jensen Ackles (why yes I would thanks for asking) and Jared Padalecki (also too I would, climb like a tree my friends) So anyway, I have been watching this show since its beginning and next season is their last. I have had my eye on a 67 Chevy Impala, just because of this show for 10 years and finally one is within my grasp that is just what I want. DO NOT JUDGE ME and my poor life choices people.

June 13, 2019 at 6:37 pm

What show? I’m a fan of the super stuff!

• jess Reply

June 13, 2019 at 10:11 pm

Supernatural on the CW channel. It’s my guilty pleasure and has been for forever. It’s been on since 2005 and like I said next year last season.

June 14, 2019 at 9:22 am

I tried to get into that when it first came out and I couldn’t. Might try again. Your recommendations generally prove out.

• jess Reply

June 14, 2019 at 10:24 am

Kent used to tell me it was for 14 yr old girls and college freshmen. Told him, I started watching it when I was almost finishing up in college does that count and if I was 14, we would have to stop some things 🙂 For me it is just pure escapism and silliness. Kind of like Doctor Who but regular people are the monsters for the most part. Healthy doses of fun at the expense of angels/demons etc. Just a fun show and the two main characters like I said, total eye candy for me.