Britain’s Ambassador To the US Resigns

by Neil Bamforth

Sir Kim Darroch – and no, I’d never heard of him – has resigned as British Ambassador to the USA after unflattering comments he made about the Trump administration were leaked to the media. President Trump was, not surprisingly, unhappy about the British Ambassadors comments, and duly tweeted his views.

This ‘storm in a teacup’ has grown into a political slanging match in Blighty, mainly because there is serious division regarding what should have happened in regard to the Ambassador.

One side believe he should have been supported by the British government, while the other side believe he was right to resign.

The latter belief is where I stand.

For some bizarre reason, some who support Darroch are blaming Boris Johnson. Nobody can quite explain why they are blaming Boris Johnson – other than he wisely avoided offering unequivocal support for Darroch – which suggests Johnson’s enemies are so desperate to stop him becoming Prime Minister, they will try anything.

The blame for Darroch falling on his Ambassadorial sword is solely with the person, or persons, who leaked the document criticizing Trumps regime.

As that wasn’t Boris Johnson, many are perplexed why his name is being dragged into it.

As Boris is likely to become the next Prime Minister, it would be useful for him to have an Ambassador who can actually speak to the President and his team. As The White House ‘froze out’ Darroch, he was clearly no longer able to function in his role.

Of course, it isn’t the former Ambassadors fault either. He sent a very critical message back and somebody in the civil service leaked it.

At the ‘head to head’ debate between the two remaining contenders for leadership of the Conservative party and, therefore, new Prime Minister, Jeremy Hunt said he would ‘back Darroch’, Johnson was diplomatically evasive on the topic.

Johnson nailed it. You shouldn’t condemn an Ambassador for doing what Ambassadors do, but you can hardly say you will keep him in place if he can’t actually function anymore.

It will be interesting to see what else the anti-Boris brigade decide to blame him for over the next couple of weeks, as they try ever more desperately to stop him and, I suspect, stop Brexit – most anti-Boris types are, almost by default, against Brexit too.

“One of my pond fish has died. It’s Boris’s fault!”
“My fridge turned off and my milk turned sour. It’s Boris’s fault!”
“I dropped my wallet out shopping. It’s Boris’s fault!”

Pathetic.

Sir Kim Darroch is not to blame. He has resigned with dignity and, I sincerely hope, the full pension he would have been entitled to when he would have retired – in December I think?

Darroch is not to blame. Johnson is not to blame. Trump is not to blame.

The blame lies fairly and squarely at the feet of the person or persons in the civil service who leaked the document. Frankly, if they are discovered, they should do jail time for this.

Just think of the possible repercussions.

A British Ambassador in a country that is, shall we say, a little volatile? Are they going to trust the civil service to not disclose what they may say about the regime in Iran or China or Saudi Arabia?

The British civil service need to get their security and, indeed, their house in order. And quickly.

If they don’t, you can bet your life someone will blame Boris.

Why not? For the left, ‘Boris Bashing’ is becoming a national sport.

Never mind Boris. You will have the last laugh, if you want it. You will be our next Prime Minister and then you can appoint who the hell you like as US Ambassador. Come to that, if you decide to, you could do a bit of ‘bashing’ yourself from that position of power.

Can’t say I’d blame you either.

Posted by on July 11, 2019. Filed under COMMENTARY/OPINION. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

9 Responses to Britain’s Ambassador To the US Resigns

1. Michael John Scott Reply

July 11, 2019 at 8:19 am

Johnson and Trump could be twins. Both are dumb as rocks.

2. Glenn Geist Reply

July 11, 2019 at 8:41 am

Stupid people think they need stupid people to represent them.

3. Neil Bamforth Reply

July 11, 2019 at 11:21 am

Michael : Trump certainly is. Boris? No, not dumb. Just a posh boy who puts on a persona.

Mind you, dumb or not, one is the most powerful person on the planet and the other an ace away from being one of the most… We must be too clever by half to have not ended up powerful eh?

Glenn : Too true mate… And there’s an awful lot of stupid going around these days! Some of em make me look clever!!!

4. Cherries Reply

July 12, 2019 at 6:43 am

Exactly two of a kind!
    Obviously N/N will approve of Johnson not defending our highly respected Ambassador because he’s never heard of him 🙄?? How many Ambassadors has he heard of?

No mention of the disgusting, disgraceful insulting juvenile tweets openly sent by trump – not leaked! The trump administration should appreciate knowing what most people think of them even though it was leaked. My American friends coming here next month loathe trump, as do all their friends, as much as I do.
    Still hard to believe someone so awful is potus and likely someone so awful (obviously not as awful as trump!) as Johnson might be PM! (voting by only a small % – all Conservative members !) crazy and scary times.

5. Cherries Reply

July 12, 2019 at 6:57 am

Forgot to mention N/N is by his definition a Brexshit supporter not that I doubted it for a moment.

6. Neil Bamforth Reply

July 12, 2019 at 3:53 pm

Cherries : Calm down dear.

Firstly, I voted remain with reluctance, but, that was my call. We lost. It’s called de-mo-cra-cy… Heard of it love?

Secondly : The leak was from the civil service. Quite what Trumps idiotic tweets have to do with that is a mystery.

The Ambassadors position became untenable, through no fault of his own, but untenable nevertheless.

Please try to read things before responding. I genuinely don’t want you to sound silly you know xx

7. jess Reply

July 13, 2019 at 2:36 pm

This leak was done by someone in the camp of the conservatives over there so they could get their own guy in there because Boris’ balls are not going to lick themselves, like Dolt 45s, when he become PM over there. Funny that the reporter doing all the reporting, is friendly with the dude who was vacationing in Russia when all this was playing out isn’t it?
    I’ve been out of it mostly this week trying to help out a friend here in my state capitol city Sacramento, where it is hotter than hell and only getting hotter. Thankfully it is prepping me for actual hell if there exists such a place. Oh and not for nothing but stout Haagen Dazs ice cream is very very good, so is their rum one.

8. Neil Bamforth Reply

July 14, 2019 at 4:14 am

Jess : it does sound a bit conspiracy theory like, but I’ve been wondering the same thing.

Either what you said, or even someone against Brexit trying to spoil things if we leave the EU.

Either way, they deserve jail time.

9. Cherries Reply

July 15, 2019 at 11:31 am

Oh please don’t keep trying to patronise me ‘dear’
    If you voted remain it’s strange you seem to back brexshit/leave. You sound typical of the type.
    I read your comments ‘love’ that’s why I responded to let you know how ‘silly’ they were.