Hair Care In Georgia: Is America A Nation Of Freaks?

by Glenn R. Geist

I mean really, how can an old guy not laugh? A Georgia elementary school has set off another outrage alarm by putting up a poster showing “appropriate and inappropriate” hair styles for students. Cue the strutting and arm waving. Here we go again.

The inappropriate styles all seem to be worn by African-American students and that’s who constitute most of the kids at Narvie Harris Elementary in Decatur, Georgia. It must be racism, of course and so we don’t want to hear any sarcasm or ironic comments about what could still be considered inappropriate in today’s America.

The banned hair does indeed look cartoonish and freak-show worthy to many, but again; this is America. This is 2019 when even the president has hair like a villain from a Batman comic book. Of course the president IS a villain from a Batman comic book, but that’s neither here nor there. We live in Cartoon World where even the cars look like they were designed by Pixar and it takes 30 seconds of baby-talk to order coffee.

We have become a nation of freaks from top to bottom, from the Gumbi inspired hairdo of Joe Scarborough, to the man-bun or Mohawk Maiden Millennials. Full body tattoos and grotesque piercings, things dangling from nostrils like chrome plated snot: a large number of Americans find it normal or even beautiful. OK, so you were born yesterday and can’t see why I walk around jaw agape in shock and amazement but I remember crew cut or go home.

I remember when we were shocked when Yul Brynner shaved his head for a part and kept it that way. I remember when Jimmy Carter was mocked for having hair that touched his ears. I’m from the hair generation of the 60s who used to dream about those dreaded words “Out of the car, Long-Hair.” It was not entirely unfounded.

But I have to wonder how far it has to go before the naturally rebellious youth stretches the trend until something snaps and the schools begin to fill with rebels, dressed in Argyle sweaters and crew cuts like Archie Comics from the 50’s? I mean, there has to be a limit, right?

Posted by on August 4, 2019. Filed under COMMENTARY/OPINION. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

8 Responses to Hair Care In Georgia: Is America A Nation Of Freaks?

1. jess Reply

August 4, 2019 at 10:55 am

Both my nephews went through a spiky haired, blond tip hair style for a while when they were younger. It was when they were going through their anime phase and wanted to look like the characters. Hell I think I have sprayed my own hair many different colors for one thing or another just because I liked how it looked. If the kids are doing okay in school and not snorting coke off teacher ass in the breakroom let them have the damn haircut. Who does it hurt and it’s just hair for fucks sake. Just to be clear I would rather have the Riverdale Archie people as my go to look, especially if the Archie involed is K.J. APa, just saying is all 🙂

• Glenn Geist Reply

August 4, 2019 at 11:40 am

Riverdale New Zealand? There’s something wrong with that, but A Dog’s Purpose made me cry and still does to think about it, so I’ll forgive him.

My High School years were a bit Grease, a bit American Graffiti and a dash of Rebel Without a Cause, so I’ll just be quiet now. Wear what you’re wearing.

August 4, 2019 at 1:36 pm

Haircuts are generally meaningless, except when they are so bizarre they encourage bullying unless it’s the bully with the “do.” I have A Dog’s Purpose on my Amazon Prime Watchlist, but I can’t bring myself to watch it. I don’t want to cry…

2. Bill Formby Reply

August 4, 2019 at 10:56 am

It is just a fad. Many things have changed since the 1950’s. I have a problem with people getting upset because of the way someone wear their hair. In the sixties it was the long haired hippie types. Then there was and still is the skinned heads. There are hair styles of all types these days and it should be left to the person wearing the hair, not someone else who wants to control the lives of other persons. One could just as easily object to males wearing long hair, or a crew cut, flat top, or no hair at all. Ridiculous people want to control the lives of other people when their own lives are screwed up. Tend to your own business and stop judging others and the world will be a better place.

August 4, 2019 at 1:36 pm

Exactly! Tend to your own business, but it seems that’s easier said than done.

3. Glenn Geist Reply

August 4, 2019 at 11:32 am

A few years back, there was a move to ban baggy shorts in Palm Beach County. I opposed it, remembering insane prohibitions on trousers for girls in a climate that got down to 25 below zero when I lived up north. I couldn’t wear blue jeans, I had to tuck my shirt in and today Mr. Zuckerberg wears a T-shirt to corporate meetings. I would be sent home from school for wearing what I now wear to Yacht Club dinners.

You’re both right. It’s a lost cause before it begins and an offense to freedom and democracy. I only resent the idea that it, like every damned thing today is supposed to be racism. I was a long haired hippie and I know.

I still cringe at flip flops, camo shorts and the ass-backwards hats we’ve had for 40 or more years, even in a restaurant where I’m going to pay 200 bucks for dinner, but that doesn’t give me any rights, except to mock the human race. It’s my civic duty, you know.

August 4, 2019 at 1:38 pm

I’ve a thing about those that wear pants around their knees. It’s a real thing too and has been for as long as I can remember. I mentioned it once to a casual friend and was immediately described as a racist. Of course.

4. Bill Formby Reply

August 6, 2019 at 1:03 pm

The issue with the saggy pants with their underwear showing still mystify me as to how the people keep their pants on. I actually know one city that adopted and ordnance against sagging pants. Problem was that the police were so busy giving citations for it they had no time for more important stuff, like murders, robberies, etc.