happy easter card purple egg flowers butterfly decoration vector illustration

The Uncontrolled Spread Of COVID19 Is Trump’s Fault

(AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)

by Mark Bear

You each know that I strive to provide nothing but factual reporting to you as a freelance journalist, right? You also know that I avoid the click-bait, sensationalism, or hyperbole that usually permeates social media. However, I have been fact-checked and told I published fake news on Facebook. This is a charge I take quite seriously. So, I spent the past hour deliberating whether I did, or did not, publish “fake news.”

The post dealt with the FAILURE of this current Administration to obtain testing kits for the coronavirus or covid19 from the World Health Organization. You each do remember that, right?

After reviewing the post, I never once said that “Mr. Trump failed to purchase the WHO’s testing kits.” What I did say, as other media outlets have reported accurately is that “Mr. Trump and his administration failed to procure testing kits from the WHO, deciding to use our Centers For Disease Control testing kits.” However, THOSE testing kits when first sent out were found to be unreliable, to be specific they showed conflicting results. As a point of fact: As Politico reports:

“The initial tests didn’t work, and officials are probing whether there was possible contamination.”

Evaluating the fact-checking organization PolitiFact, they make the argument that WHO never tried to sell test kits to the United States. BUT THAT IS NOT THE FREAKING POINT!

As Senator Patty Murray states in her query from the administration:

“Please provide an explanation for why the Covid-19 diagnostic test approved by the World Health Organization was not used.”

THAT is what I clearly posted about, despite my removing said post an hour ago.

My argument then as now is clear: The delay in procuring those available diagnostic tests approved by the World Health Organization coupled with the testing kits disbursed being faulty, and the continued limited access to such testing kits is causing this virus to go out of control.

You can argue all darned day with me, but I will put it another way for all to understand: Without ALL people being tested, containment is meaningless. What IF those contained and quarantined in homes have half of their family members asymptomatic, that is they are carrying the virus and do not know it because they are not showing any symptoms. Again: The incubation period for this virus is anywhere between 14 to 18 days. Containment is great if you know in advance who has tested positive and who has not.

And I am NOT arguing AGAINST the measures taken to contain at this point, however, despite my not having a degree in epidemiology – a point given to me by nearly every one sending personal messages to me – I still do have sufficient intelligence to realize what containment without testing can end up providing.

Just last night: I spoke with a friend of mine in Alabama. He runs a hotel and the organization just changed ownership of another hotel in Mobile. My friend had the Health Department check his facility, and he has a cough. Asking the representative where he could get tested for coronavirus, my friend was told he would have to travel to Montgomery. That is, for my friend to get tested he would need to drive 168 MILES.

I, therefore, stand by my original reporting. I also stand by the post, however, I did delete it since they covered it up leaving a mere fact-checking link. Finally, I urge the “independent fact-checkers” from this platform and the supporters of Trump, who feel he has done everything “perfectly” to READ, investigate, and realize that just because one aspect of a story is a bit out of whack (i.e the test kits not being sold by WHO which was never the claim) to understand that this does not mitigate the fact that this nation refused the testing kits from WHO!

And they still have not given – to my knowledge – an explanation.

Posted by on March 17, 2020. Filed under COMMENTARY/OPINION. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

9 Responses to The Uncontrolled Spread Of COVID19 Is Trump’s Fault

1. Glenn Geist Reply

March 17, 2020 at 9:17 am

These “critics” are thugs and gangsters but since any agenda they might retain at this point is hard to discern. Taking over a vast wasteland of death can’t be very attractive, so I have to assume they either aren’t sane enough to see the danger or they are demons. For the first time in my life I’m using that word literally.

March 17, 2020 at 11:07 am

“Demons” works. As a matter of fact, it might be the best descriptor of all.

2. Timmy Mahoney Reply

March 17, 2020 at 10:51 am

Makr I don’t know why you don’t block these idiots, because you are never going to convince them they are right. They’re Trumpers!!!

3. Peggy Scholtes Reply

March 17, 2020 at 2:15 pm

History will definitely show how inept this administration has been, and continues to be, in handling this crisis. The administration is doing a better job now of conveying how serious this pandemic is, but people need to understand the truth about why we are where we are now. Keep spreading truth, Mark, even if only a few are willing to see it.

• Rachael Reply

March 17, 2020 at 4:32 pm

Yu Re right that they are appearing to do a better job in the moment but it won’t be long before they screw everything up again. Trump can’t help himself and just wait until it gets really bad which it will before too long.

4. Susan Osada Reply

March 17, 2020 at 10:14 pm

This is the blatant and deliberate destruction of the lives of United States Citizens. We need to rise up and obliterate the source of the destruction before he kills more innocents.

5. Bill Formby Reply

March 18, 2020 at 5:04 pm

Mark, I agree with Timmy. You may as well block the Trumpers. I have given up long ago on the run of the mill people of my state (Alabama) as people who are either too ignorant or tribal to understand the depths to which Trump and his gang of thieves will go to achieve their goals of destroying America’s democracy. Here lately, however, it seems to have gotten worse for some reason. People I have recently met from other states seem to have taken to the Trumper Philosophy and cannot see the forest because of all of the damned trees. When the Coronavirus first started coming out Trump brushed it aside saying, “it will be gone by Spring.” Since he and his people seem to be isolated from the general public he probably never gave it a second thought until it appears to be on the verge of being out of control. Now they seem to have no way to control it other than keep people away from each other. Meanwhile, Trump and his people keep beating their drums about everything will be fine. The economy will bounce right back up, nothing to to worry about. The problem happens to be that he has not a clue of what he is talking about.

6. Tabatha Hibbs Reply

March 18, 2020 at 11:26 pm

One of the things I’ve learned in nearly 15 years of teaching the argument to college freshmen (other than that I want to drink more than I should) is that if you challenge someone who has a weak argument or faulty assumptions, they will simply change the argument. Your post challenged someone’s assumptions or position. Rather than admitting that or doing the work to improve their argument, they simply changed directions (the test kits weren’t sold by WHO) instead of dealing with the reality that the US has dragged its feet every step of the way on testing (and still does). Unfortunately, people who change arguments in mid-stream are not intellectually honest enough to engage in a real discussion of anything. It’s best to leave them in their ignorance. To try to correct it is much like teaching a pig to sing.

7. Joe Hahstrom Reply

March 20, 2020 at 5:22 pm

If a comment is reported as offensive it is deleted by all the sites I frequent. It’s not reviewed by anyone. Paid and self appointed trolls report anything anti whatever they find goes against their agenda. Take comfort that they are scared enough of you they took action. If I’m bored I report the pro trump horse shit myself. My way of sticking it to the man.