happy easter card purple egg flowers butterfly decoration vector illustration

The Vast Of Night—A Twilight Zone Type Thrill Ride Is Spellbinding

by Michael John Scott

Looking for something different? Tired of the same old science fiction?  If so check out “The Vast of Night,”  a unique little sci-fi gem that opens with the intro from a fictional, black-and-white TV show from the 1950s: “Paradox Theatre,” modeled after “The Twilight Zone,” right down to the portentous, Rod Serling-esque voice-over.

This bit of ‘once upon a time’ for those of us old enough to actually remember sets the tone for this stylish, micro-low-budget sci-fi thriller, set in small-town New Mexico in the late 1950s, and centering on two young people (Jake Horowitz and Sierra McCormick), who hear a strange sound over the radio and via a telephone switchboard.

That curious sound leads them down a virtual rabbit hole involving a potential close encounter of the third kind. Andrew Patterson’s feature debut, which won the Audience Award at last year’s Slamdance Film Festival, is engrossing and exceptionally well made, although at times it feels a tad ‘padded out’ as if it were meant to be a half-hour, black and white television show. Regardless, it’s an engrossing alien tale, and the slow build to its inevitable payoff is well worth the wait.

I watched it last night and highly recommend it, particularly if, like me, you are already a Sci-Fi fan.

This movie is rated PG-13 and is available on May 29 on Amazon Prime. It contains brief strong language. Running time: 89 minutes.

In case you missed it: 75 Hidden Gems On Amazon Prime Video

Be sure to ‘like’ us on Facebook

Posted by on May 29, 2020. Filed under MOVIE-TV-BOOK REVIEWS. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

10 Responses to The Vast Of Night—A Twilight Zone Type Thrill Ride Is Spellbinding

1. Bill Formby Reply

June 15, 2020 at 10:12 am

Well here is my nomination for the next binger if you have not watched it, Queen of the South. I found most of the acting in this to be adequate. The plot line is some what typical of a series about drugs and their ongoing battles against the DEA and each other. It ran for four seasons on Fox before moving to Netflix. Alice Bragg stars as Teresa Mendoza and up and coming narco trafficker but since every season she is in a bind with one or more of the groups I mentioned it is more like I Love Lucy with violence instead of laughter.

2. jess Reply

June 7, 2020 at 2:49 am

Watched it, loved it. Tomorrow’s binge is Normal People on Hulu. You guys likely will not like it, Jane Austen meets erotica in a good way was my take when I read the book a while back.

3. Bill Formby Reply

June 1, 2020 at 7:04 pm

Now I am intrigued, plus I learned something about radio call signals as well. Damn you people are smart.

June 1, 2020 at 8:40 pm

LOL! Well, Glenn might be 🙂

• Bill Formby Reply

June 4, 2020 at 11:36 am

Mike, I watched this movie. It was not quite what I expected but it was good. The interesting thing was that it was a simple concept but really carried well. Kudos to the director and the two main characters for pulling this off and maintaining a unique level of intensity.

• Glenn Geist Reply

June 6, 2020 at 8:41 am

Radio and its history has been a near obsession for me since childhood. I’m also known as N4HO and I’ve worked as an engineer.

• jess Reply

June 7, 2020 at 2:43 am

Oh keeryst Glenn is going to get all big headed with you saying he is smart. STOP THAT already 😉

4. Glenn Geist Reply

May 30, 2020 at 5:51 pm

I love sci-fi, but it’s rare to find one that doesn’t turn me off because it’s more mumbo-jumbo that science. Remember when some bozo in “Contact” called Ockham’s Razor a “scientific principle?” I switched it off right there,

But the trailer for this one hooked me and it opens with the same wonderful 1951 Zenith H500 that sits on my shelf so it’s a must-watch.

By the way it takes place in Arizona allegedly so there wouldn’t be a WOTW radio station. Stations west of the Mississippi begin with a K as any bona fide radio nerd knows – and there’s a real WOTW in Florida

And then it hit me WOTW – War of the Worlds!

It’s a go for tonight. . .

May 30, 2020 at 9:04 pm

Glad you liked it! I sure did, and you taught me something about radio station call signs.