You show your dog you love them in many ways. Here are just a few….
- Take your dog with you as much as possible. Dogs hate to be left alone.
- Include your dog in your day to day life. Make sure they know that they are a part of your pack.
- Give them kind and loving physical attention like petting, hugs kisses, scratching, rubbing
- Play with your dog as much as possible.
- Talk to your dog. Tell them you love them. Have conversations with them. They may not understand exactly what you are saying but they will feel your attention and love
- Be consistent with your rules and discipline. Give your dog a structure to live within. They will feel safer and more comfortable
- Be respectful of your dog’s feelings and needs. Be sure your dog has good food, freshwater, and nice treats. Be patient with your dog. Do not expect them to be the same as a human being. They have a different mindset and it is important that you understand how they see the world.
- Protect your dog from harm as much as possible.
- Provide your dog with a safe and comfortable home, sleeping area, and eating area.
- Take the time to teach your dog how to act, integrate, and function in your family and in society. This allows you to take them with you to most places.
- Take your dog out as much as possible to exercise, enjoy nature, meet other people and dogs.
- Intelligent dogs need input and stimuli. Take them to new places so that they can explore and have new experiences.
- Reinforce good behavior with loving words and actions. Tell your dog how good they are and thank them for being such a wonderful friend and companion.
Those are just a few suggestions I can think of at the moment as I look at my Golden Retriever, Piper, laying on the floor near me and watching me type this. I am sure she would have more suggestions but her toes are too wide to type.